Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook

Sign In Apply for Membership

In this Discussion

Radio 1/KZZP
  • WAVAWAVA October 2012
    Please help settle a bet.
    I say the KZZP Mesa/Phoenix 1987 package was their custom along with different vocal arrangements to the released demo.
    A buddy swears blind it was a BBC Radio 1 UK custom with KZZP used on the demo.
    Who's right?
  • Mark_PaxtonMark_Paxton October 2012
    Any custom cuts have a BBC prefix on the master tape logs and the 1987 logs have a KZZP prefix!
    Do i get commission for winning your bet for you?:)
  • WAVAWAVA October 2012
    I knew I was right !! Thank you.
    Now to solve another mystery. Why were the demo versions different to the air versions?
  • LenGroatLenGroat October 2012
    The on-air cuts seem to have been a re-sing with a (catchy) higher note harmony on the '1 04 poynt 7 eff em ' part of the cuts?
  • martinlestermartinlester October 2012
    In 2008 I can accross an Aircheck of KZZP with Vocal's and Intro which was not on the DEMO it was Cut 13 and Jon at the time gave me a very intresting background to how it all came about (I can't find the orignal email now ) but Jon went back into the Vault to find this alternative version and also I had it sung in the same style as the non demo version for a Personal Cut

This Cut still is my all time Favourite JAM Jingle (It is also my Mobile Phones Ringtone)

I think at the time I was the only person to have a Personal cut of this version , I noticed several other Jingle Mad collectors have also got this version

http://soundcloud.com/martinjlester/martin-lesters-music-show

• tyty21tyty21 October 2012
    with the nationwide jingle in tact! nice!
  • DuncanDuncan October 2012
    Does anyone have a copy of the KZZP jingles (with different melody to the demo) please??
  • SpoonsSpoons October 2012
    Just about to ask the same Duncan. Intrigued to hear them. Anyone?
  • m_hodgeym_hodgey October 2012

You can hear one of the alternative melody cuts at 1.43 in the following sampler on Soundcloud:
    KZZP SATURDAY NIGHT PARTY PATROL by KZZP 104.7 FM

Like Duncan and Spoons, I would love to hear the rest.

Incidentally, whilst searching the net on this subject, I happened to stumble across the following website with the demo version of the KZZP package:

http://fmairchecks.com/2011/01/08/kzzp-1980s-possibly-early-90s-jam-jingles/

Interestingly, one of the responses on this site says that the package was originally created for BBC Radio 1 and that KZZP only used part of the package on-air, but with the different vocal group as mentioned.

The plot thickens.........

• DuncanDuncan October 2012
    Was just about to bid and realised it's already been sold- d'oh!
    Good find Mark. The plot thickens indeed!
  • Mark_PaxtonMark_Paxton October 2012
    m_hodgey said:

Incidentally, whilst searching the net on this subject, I happened to stumble across the following website with the demo version of the KZZP package:

http://fmairchecks.com/2011/01/08/kzzp-1980s-possibly-early-90s-jam-jingles/

Interestingly, one of the responses on this site says that the package was originally created for BBC Radio 1 and that KZZP only used part of the package on-air, but with the different vocal group as mentioned.

The plot thickens.........

Not sure where this guy got his information from, but surely if jam wanted to use american stations only for their demo's, they would have done that for packages like music now
  • mjb1124mjb1124 October 2012
    JAM has opted to use American stations for demos over the original UK clients before. Metroline is one example, originally for Metro FM but the demo had the Y98 St. Louis versions. Then there's all the Radio 1 and other UK cuts that ended up in packages like Z World and Hyperlink.

But, it does seem like there's sufficient evidence that the "KZZP" package was their custom. On-air versions differing from demo versions is nothing unusual either. I think Positron (WABC) and Red Hot (Z100) had mostly different versions used on-air, and a few on-air cuts from Do It Again (CBS-FM) were different from the demo as well. I'm sure there's plenty more examples.
    Only one man on here can tell us for sure...
  • JAM+%2F+PAMSJAM / PAMS October 2012
    This is really such an un-mystery. The "KZZP" package was originally made as a custom for.... wait for it... K Z Z P.

Radio 1 liked the idea of using the "104.7 FM" part for "Britain's Favorite Radio 1" because it was a perfect fit. So they used most of the package that year.

Why are there different versions sung for KZZP? Because some clients can't make up their mind, or tell us one thing when they mean another, or make decisions based on weird ideas instead of trusting their (or our) ears. The package was originally sung with a 5-voice group (similar to the Hitradio group), but then they wanted to hear it 7-voice so it would sound "fuller". Oh, and make the logo (that they had already approved) go up higher on the end. Trying to explain that the tracks were not written with either of those options in mind did not disuade them. So we did what they asked for. I always thought the original versions were the best, so that's what's on the KZZP demo, and that's what the Radio 1 versions are based on.
  • michimichi October 2012
    Please do a "Power Station" and release a demo with the original arrangement..
  • simon_t123simon_t123 October 2012
    thanks for the background Jon, it's one of the first packages I twigged on to as a kid, of course it was then used on BBC Radio One back in say 88,89 ... as such I gotta say I prefer the Radio One versions, I sympathise a little for what Jon says there about what the client wants maybe not suiting what the tracks were created for ... the KZZP versions as aired are good, but they don't sound as good as the demo versions, I'm all for 7 voice over 5 however, I really wanna hear a bass-y tingle but realise that does not suit all cuts out there, what sounds not quite right with the aired versions for KZZP is that going all high at the end business, I guess it may have been different to the market at the time, might of made KZZP stand out a little more, but I do prefer the cuts as demo'd and most certainly as delivered to BBC Radio One :)
  • BarrasBarras October 2012
    Thanks for the insight into the KZZP package Jon and just for the record, Jon Wolfert kindly sent me a cassette tape in 1987 of the KZZP package, here`s a pic of the cassette, this is one of my cherished cassettes that didn`t get dumpstered recently.

(Click on pic to enlarge)