Listen now to JingleMad Radio here or find out more at Radio Today.
"Er in doors" got rid of cassette tapes...
  • BarrasBarras July 2012
    It`s been a mammoth project over this last year or so, digitizing cassettes (WAV files) before "er in doors" took them to the skip ( for our American readers "dumpster").

I took pics of some of the cassette tapes for nostalgic reasons, here`s David Arnold`s Essex Radio 1981…

• BarrasBarras July 2012
    Here`s my very first cassette tape of jingles, which I got off Len Groat and features my all time favourite JAM package, You`ve Got It…(er in doors doesn`t know but I`ve kept this one !)…

• BarrasBarras July 2012
    Another cassette, thanks to Len Groat...

• BarrasBarras July 2012
    KZZP, thanks to Jon @ JAM...

• BarrasBarras July 2012
    Something I acquired when I used to be a radio DJ...

• wixy1360wixy1360 July 2012
    As the old GEM PAMS cut as lyriced by Len would say..."Pure Nostalgia"! :)
  • You chucked the tapes? :O

As you may or many not know, (audio) tapes recorded on one machine, play back differently on another (even on models of the same brand).

I suspect that unless you manually adjusted the playback head for each individual tape (easy if you know what to do), your WAVs will have azimuth errors due to head misalignment - this can be very noticable if you listen in mono to stereo recordings. Simply - the mono version should sound as clear (as the stereo version) with no muffling of high frequencies.
  • a life lesson? save save save...make room, and save. you just never know
  • BarrasBarras July 2012
    Yes, I was aware of “azimuth errors” and “head” re-alignment thanks to an insightful explanation, a few years back by Chalks. I can safely say after a lot of work, ALL the tapes have recorded perfectly.

There were several times, I had to actually change the tape spools themselves and put them in another plastic cover, however, everything has gone well.

After 30+ years of collecting these babies, my entire radio ID jingle collection (reels, cassettes, LP records, CDs, Minidiscs) are now stored digitally and I have everything backed-up with back-ups kept at two different locations.

Download my jingle-list here:

http://www.davidbarras.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/davidbarrasjinglelist.doc

To jingle-trade email:

davidbarras@blueyonder.co.uk

• Barras said:

I have everything backed-up with back-ups kept at two different locations.

Great to hear about the tapes :)

You can never have too many back-ups =D>
  • LenGroatLenGroat July 2012
    Barras said:

Another cassette, thanks to Len Groat...

Golly.. seeing these makes me feel REALLY old.

I recall getting in by 8am when I was doing the morning show from 9am to get an hour of time when the dubbing studio was not booked!
  • ratnobratnob July 2012

Feels a bit lie the end of an era ...
  • Can't believe they are in the tip :-t
  • BarrasBarras July 2012
    Can't believe they are in the tip :-t

In total, 1346 cassette tapes...and there`s another 900ish aircheck tapes of John Peel OBE to go...

• BarrasBarras July 2012
    Another treasured cassette, sent to me around 1980ish, thanks to Jon @ JAM...

• BarrasBarras August 2012
    Back in the day, in 1985, it was good of Steve England to record the complete dub of Pennine 2 for me…

Ok, pure nostalagia here, just to let the “newbies” and the “digital” collectors know, this is how collecting jingles used to be, the “newbies” might criticise this as being time consuming etc…but personally it was an enjoyable experience, waiting for cassettes to arrive in the post (snail mail) and actually listening to them.

Here`s the the jingle collecting story for one cassette tape, i.e.Pennine 2 by Alfasound…

Steve England took the “time” to find the master Pennine package 2, recorded it onto cassette (obviously in “real” time) labelled the tape, put the tape in a jiffy bag, sent the tape out in the post to my home address. The jiffy bag then ended up on my door-mat and it was a thrill to find it there and a good feeling opening the jiffy bag, putting the actual cassette tape into a cassette player and and listening to it for the first time, happy days ! :)

Of course, these days, it`s much more clinical, you just click your mouse…

• star+tetleystar tetley August 2012
    Why throw them away though instead of finding another home?
  • BarrasBarras August 2012
    "star tetley" said; Why throw them away though instead of finding another home?

"Barras" replies: I asked on Jinglemad two years ago and had three people who wanted a selection not the 1346 tapes.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook

Sign In Apply for Membership

In this Discussion