Listen now to JingleMad Radio here or find out more at Radio Today.
JAM's Best Show song - various resings
  • Simon_FexSimon_Fex July 2012
    I'm a fan of JAM's Best Show. Outstanding package. Here are some re-sings from one the many songs. I love to hear more re-sings. (Q: Why is the official KIMN demo in mono?)
    JAMs Best Show song #2 various resings by Simon Fex
  • wixy1360wixy1360 July 2012
    I have my resing of that cut too - as many do! Definately BS15 is an all-time favourite :)

KIMN was an AM station then - therefore - presumably mono!
  • BigdaveBigdave July 2012
    I've got BS2-17 .

Both packages are just absolute quality.
    BTW BS15 was resung with some classic lyrics written by Darren Lethem and Simon Hirst whilst at Viking. I'm sure it's about on here...needless to say it'll make you wanna show your backside in a famous supermarket.
  • BarrasBarras July 2012
    I liked how WNBC New York used Best Show and love the lyrics on the Howard Stern cut which doesn`t mention Howard Stern !

Here`s a sampler...

JAM WNBC BEST SHOW SAMPLER by DavidBarras

• NickySNickyS July 2012
    BS15 is probably my all time favourite JAM cut. It was the first personal cut I got Jon to do for me.
    http://www.4shared.com/mp3/J2f4NhZI/NickyJAM.html
    Apologies if you don't have 4shared.
    Hope other post their BS15 cut - I never tire of listening to it. Sad that the R1 version hardly ever got played on air as there is no place as Glasgow Square!
    "KIMN was an AM station then - therefore - presumably mono!"

Thanks. The BestShow2 demo is in stereo, also for KIMN...
    Are there any French re-sings for Best Show? Love to hear BS15 in French.
    "...to hear BS15 in French"

Just wondering if any of our French-Canadian JMers in particular might have something on that?
    Sorry, but I'm never short of even the most feeble excuse to dig out these hoary old chesnuts... :)

http://www.4shared.com/music/H7nFK3lI/Wixy1360-Channel103JAMbestshow.html

http://www.4shared.com/music/TwAPmBoC/Wixy1360-Channel103-JAM-BestSh.html
    Nothing hoary about those,Iain!

In my opinion,they're the best Best Show resings since the Radio 1 ones!
  • mjb1124mjb1124 July 2012
    Love all these Best Show cuts. Also noticed a Music Jam cut in that WNBC sampler... makes me wonder what other non-custom JAM packages they used.
  • More Best Show cuts please. My all time favorite JAM package.
  • The mono versus stereo demo discussion has taken place here before. Essentially in the early days when mono transmission was the norm for music, the audio chain at radio stations could be a mixture of stereo and mono set ups. Reel to reel tape machines would also be in various states of good alignment. JAM felt it was better to release demos in mono, even if the masters were mixed to stereo. This guaranteed a good, full, punchy sound on all equipment, regardless of how it was set up.
  • The first ever JAM cut I used on air was at BBC Hereford & Worcester in 1990. In the evening we used to take programming from Radio WM as "Midlands Radio" and later "Midlands BBC". Whilst babysitting the station one of my jobs was to backtime cut #24 from The Best Show 2 into the 9pm news off cart every night. BBC H&W had a David Arnold package back then but this was the only JAM cut we were sent to use as the rest of the programming came from Birmingham.

I believe this particular resing comes from the 1990 WM composite although there are other versions sung as "Midlands Radio" as well as "Radio WM". To this day it remains my all time favorite JAM cut.

The Best Show 2 #24 by aircheckdownloads
  • Here's a link to the Best Show cut I had Jon do for my voice-over business RAD Productions. http://www.4shared.com/mp3/pRsC0NhM/RAD_PRODUCTIONS_FULL.html
  • cdwilke85cdwilke85 July 2012
    mjb1124 said:

Love all these Best Show cuts. Also noticed a Music Jam cut in that WNBC sampler... makes me wonder what other non-custom JAM packages they used.

There is a 1984 Imus aircheck on Youtube that has cut 5 from Jam's Meltdown package being played. I don't know if they ordered a Jam composite package before or after they ordered Nothing But Class.
  • BarrasBarras July 2012
    Let me know if you would like to hear any of the following montaged...

1104 JAM – SEAN MARTIN (BEST SHOW 2)
    1185 JAM – WNBC NEW YORK CITY (BEST SHOW)
    1195 JAM - WNAV AANAPOLIS, MARYLAND (BEST SHOW 2)
    1399 JAM - WIRL PEORIA (BEST SHOW REELS 1 & 2, BEST SHOW 2)
    1513 JAM - WHYN SPRINGFIELD MA (BEST SHOW, BEST SHOW 2)
    2266 JAM – TROS RADIO (BEST SHOW, BEST SHOW 2)
    2282 JAM – CHANNEL 103 JERSEY (BEST SHOW)
    3073 JAM (ALFA VOCALS) MINSTER FM, ENGLAND (BEST SHOW)
    3254 JAM – JAMES PROCTOR (BEST SHOW)
    3813 JAM – GEOFF BARTON (BEST SHOW)
    5418 JAM – RAD (BEST SHOW 2)

Download my jingle-list here:

http://www.davidbarras.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/davidbarrasjinglelist.doc

To jingle-trade email:

davidbarras@blueyonder.co.uk
  • AndyWAndyW July 2012
    The first ever JAM cut I used on air was at BBC Hereford & Worcester in 1990. In the evening we used to take programming from Radio WM as "Midlands Radio" and later "Midlands BBC". Whilst babysitting the station one of my jobs was to backtime cut #24 from The Best Show 2 into the 9pm news off cart every night. BBC H&W had a David Arnold package back then but this was the only JAM cut we were sent to use as the rest of the programming came from Birmingham.

I believe this particular resing comes from the 1990 WM composite although there are other versions sung as "Midlands Radio" as well as "Radio WM". To this day it remains my all time favorite JAM cut.

The date on the master reel of the original (the Radio WM and Midlands Radio versions) was February 1988. It was still in use in the late 90's. BBC WM and Midlands BBC were re made in 1991. My first desk driving experience was for the show that Wolverhampton Community Radio did on Radio WM. As it was neither a Radio WM or BBC production we had to play the Midlands Radio version. I think they edited an even more generic "BBC Radio" version too. I was also responsible for this and the 1988 travel cut being plated at the end of the WM 40th Anniversary show. Confused the hell out of the travel and news readers.
  • Andy/Neal/David, could you clarify the JAM packages that were done for BBC WM/MIDLANDS BBC?

I have a re-sing of Nothing But Class that is not dated. With tones runs 29' 45"
    I have a re-sing of The Only One that is also not dated. With tones runs 11' 01"

How much am I missing ?!

Many thanks :)
  • SeanMartinSeanMartin July 2012

Here's a link to the Best Show cut I had Jon do for my voice-over business RAD Productions. http://www.4shared.com/mp3/pRsC0NhM/RAD_PRODUCTIONS_FULL.html

Very pretty. When was that recorded?

• Chalks said:

I have a re-sing of Nothing But Class that is not dated. With tones runs 29' 45"
    I have a re-sing of The Only One that is also not dated. With tones runs 11' 01"

How much am I missing ?!

Going by those durations you are missing quite a lot. I will have to check but I think both of the composites run to 4 CD's.
    AndyW said:

I think they edited an even more generic "BBC Radio" version too.

Yeah there were a couple of generic "BBC Radio" cuts but I don't think they got used much.
    BBC Radio by aircheckdownloads

@Barras: I like to hear JAM - WNAV AANAPOLIS, MARYLAND (BEST SHOW 2) in a montage.

Best Show1 is also one of the few JAM’s pkg’s were the cuts have names. (You can still download the lyric sheets.) For example: Party Time, Brasser, Pyramid, Diddle, Sproing (…), Oh Colorado, Dan’s In Denver, Knock Kock, etc.. Who came up with these names, JMW?
    I did notice that the cuts have names. I'm guessing TBS 1&2 must have been the last JAM packages to have those. Curiously, Pro/Mod also has a cut named "Sproing".
  • AndyWAndyW July 2012
    Chalks said:

Andy/Neal/David, could you clarify the JAM packages that were done for BBC WM/MIDLANDS BBC?

How much am I missing ?!

Many thanks :)

It's been ages since I saw the original reels. They were skipped when the BBC left Pebble Mill (and they waited till I was on a two week holiday to do it! Grrr!). All I can remember is that the original 1988 Package ran to two 10/5" spools at 15ips so that's an hour. I think the 1991 stuff and a 7" reel of Midlands Radio stuff ran to another hour. Everything after that was on DAT. I was sure that somewhere I had saved the cut sheet for the '88 ones which are resings from Nothing But Class, Power Station, 2 Kool (or was it Be Kool?), The Q107 Christmas Cut, The Only One and The Best Show. 1991 was mainly BBC WM resings and some WFAN re sings. Some of these are still in a cart rack in the office despite the cart machines having long since disappeared. If there was a way of adding pictures I would.

• AndyWAndyW July 2012
    A little off topic but Radio WM wasn't the only West Midlands station that bought some cuts from The Best Show. This is some of WABCs last set before being absorbed into Classic Gold.

WABC The Best Show 1997 by andywcr
  • BarrasBarras July 2012
    Simon_Fex said:

@Barras: I like to hear JAM - WNAV AANAPOLIS, MARYLAND (BEST SHOW 2) in a montage.

Best Show1 is also one of the few JAM’s pkg’s were the cuts have names. (You can still download the lyric sheets.) For example: Party Time, Brasser, Pyramid, Diddle, Sproing (…), Oh Colorado, Dan’s In Denver, Knock Kock, etc.. Who came up with these names, JMW?

Simon_Fex, it was a pleasure to put this montage together of WNAV, enjoy...

JAM WNAV (BEST SHOW 2) by DavidBarras
  • jonnojonno July 2012

The Best Show 2 #24 by aircheckdownloads

..a great jingle, and the BBC WM version came in at number 9 in the Top 20 montage I compiled a while ago (at 12'09").

Jonno's Top 20 by jonno .
  • To answer Sean's question re: the RAD Productions Best Show cut, I received it from JAM in August of 2010. Jon gave me some help with the lyrics. In the usual JAM style, the basic cut came with several mixouts. An interesting side bar....I originally ask if I could have the PAMS 4141 Office Parkway closer re-sung but Jon informed me that that particular cut is off limits.
    More Best Show from TROS Radio, Netherlands
    JAM's Best Show TROS Radio, Netherlands by Simon Fex
  • glenglen July 2012
    David
    The 5418 Rad Best Show who was that made for and could you montage it please?
    Thanks!
  • BarrasBarras July 2012
    Glen, teachercreature has posted his RAD jingle in this thread...
    A few bits from Best Show.... including that Doner Kebab lyric and one about showing your backside in a well known Supermarket... :)

More Best Show Stuff by DaveNightingale

BTW if you wanted to know where Wetwang and Thwing were....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wetwang
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thwing

And if you're wondering why they're mentioned in a jingle for Viking,it's because they're both tiny villages in the back end of nowhere in their TSA...
    @Bigdave: the Viking cuts are definitely the BEST Best Show resings I ever heard. Brilliant. Thanks! Simon
  • AndyWAndyW July 2012
    Back to the Midlands Radio stuff. I've just realised on my idle edit of airchecks there is one of the rare times this jingle actually aired (around 4 mins in). Sorry about the medium wave quality. It's near the start. As an aside... How much Jam was on the air in the midlands in the mid 90's!
    Up & Down The Dial 90's style by andywcr
  • glenglen July 2012
    Does anybody how many stations had the Best Show package?
    Jon will know of course, but cuts have appeared amongst a LOT of "composites" - so the numbers could well be surprising!
    (...plus loads of Personal Cuts too :)
  • BarrasBarras July 2012
    For some reason, I always thought BEST SHOW was one of JAM`s top ten package best sellers but looking at the list again, on the JAM website, it`s not and WARP FACTOR remains their best seller.

1. WARP FACTOR - 2500+ cuts, on 350+ stations! (Z-100 New York)
    2. TURBO Z (Z-100 New York)
    3. Q CUTS (Q-95 Detroit)
    4. HOT KIIS (KIIS-FM Los Angeles)
    5. BREAKTHROUGH (WPLJ New York)
    6. THE FLAME THROWER (Z-100 New York)
    7. SKYWAVE (Z-100 New York)
    8. Z WORLD (Z-100 New York) 9. FRESH KISS (KIIS-FM Los Angeles)
    10. IT'S YOUR COUNTRY (KUSA St. Louis)
  • glenglen July 2012
    Its interesting that none of the WABC/WNBC/WCBS packages made the list.
  • tcarmantcarman July 2012
    I posted these in mid-2005...

The leadered station masters were rescued on their way to the dumpster...

www.jingles.org/wcoz_bs.mp3
  • ratnobratnob July 2012
    tcarman said:

I posted these in mid-2005...

The leadered station masters were rescued on their way to the dumpster...

www.jingles.org/wcoz_bs.mp3

Love these. Thank you.

• David...I would have also thought that Best Show 1 and 2 would have been among JAM's best sellers. I wish Jon would chime in on this and give us some official stats on the actual number of stations that purchased the packages. From all appearances, there aren't that many copies in the library of our fellow collectors as not much new has shown up on this post. Have to say I loved the WABC "good times and great oldies" versions. Never heard them before.
  • jingleonejingleone July 2012
    The "Best Show" cuts from WCOZ/Boston are great! Unfortunately, the Adult Contemporary format on that station lasted less than a year (around 1984) and I believe these jingles were on the air for less time than that. A couple of years later AM 850-WHDH (at the time co-owned with WCOZ, then using the call letters WZOU) had the "Best Show" cuts resung with their own logo and new lyrics to the songs...
  • tcarmantcarman July 2012
    When the studios were consolidated and moved at the former WCOZ and WHDH, the reels were in a stack of tapes in a trash can. A friend helped with the build-out and grabbed them, knowing that I collected jingles. Otherwise, they would only exist at JAM (and the TM WHDH masters, not at all since the Dallas references to them were already tossed out).
  • JAM+%2F+PAMSJAM / PAMS July 2012
    Davecw said:

You cant beat the best show package one of the best ever

Thanks. Actually, about half of that WHYN montage is from the seldom-heard package "The Music You Want", which was originally sung for WABC before we released the demo for WGAR.

Simon_Fex said:

Best Show1 is also one of the few JAM’s pkg’s were the cuts have names...Who came up with these names, JMW?

Back when stations would order large custom packages, many of which would have the same basic lyric line over and over, it was easier (for us) to refer to them by some nickname than to remember the numbers. The names would usually develop among the staff during production, and are almost always based on some inside joke or bad pun. I came up with many (but not all) of them, but always have editorial control over what appears on the lyric sheet because a few of our nicknames are not necessarily "polite"!

I wish Jon would chime in on this and give us some official stats on the actual number of stations that purchased the packages.

Roughly 60 stations for each (Best Show, and Best Show 2). Not all are complete packages though.

The unsung (pun intended) hero of these packages is Steve Keeney, who was the general manager of KIMN at the time. He loved the idea of the mini-songs, and wrote many of the original lyrics himself. He also encouraged us to add "suprises" to all of the cuts, which is why there are interesting effects and unexpected musical turn-arounds in many of the jingles.

glen said:

Its interesting that none of the WABC/WNBC/WCBS packages made the list.

I thought it was odd too, then I realized we haven't updated that list in over two years. So we ran the stats again and now Positron (WABC) is in the #9 position.

Most popular JAM packages

I figured Positron had to have gotten a boost in the stats, considering how many stations have had it resung in recent years.

And I was actually wondering whether some of the "Music You Want" cuts had been originally done for WABC. I had heard some of the WABC versions before I heard the WGAR demo, and thought the WABC lyrics seemed to fit a bit more naturally (not that the WGAR ones were bad or anything). Did the WABC cuts actually air?
  • kolosskoloss July 2012
    mjb1124 said:

That Music Jam cut caught my ear as well; I've wondered what the timeline was on NBC jingles from '78 to about '86. I know they did go jingle-less prior to 'Nothing but Class' - but I have this from Howard Stern; Sept 1983; sounded like a WYNY cut (?)

Wnbc stern sept 83 by koloss8

• kolosskoloss July 2012
    Davecw said:

You cant beat the best show package one of the best ever

Thanks. Actually, about half of that WHYN montage is from the seldom-heard package "The Music You Want", which was originally sung for WABC before we released the demo for WGAR.

Yes; a very seldom heard; really great package with slightly longer and very musical cuts that always felt like there had to be more to the jingles (longer cuts, mixes) or other 'wonderfulness' that has never been heard. At the very least hearing other lyrics is awesome. I assume the WABC Cuts never aired (?) I've never heard an aircheck with any in use.

BTW the WCOZ Best Show cuts are a treasure for sure; a great version of one of the best packages made.
  • Koloss, the WNBC cut you just featured from '83 was from "Meltdown"...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook

Sign In Apply for Membership

In this Discussion