Listen now to JingleMad Radio here or find out more at Radio Today.
Radio 1 Memories
  • IanIan June 2012
    Hi guys,
    I have been fairly absent for the last four years due to a new (at the time) very demanding job, and some personal issues such as the passing of my mum.
    I have continued to dip in and out of Jinglemad but certainly have not been the active contributor that I had been in the past.
    About a year ago my pc crashed and although I have managed to recover all of the audio, it has renamed everything file 001 up to file 5798.
    I am currently in the process of sorting through it and re-naming each individual file and thought why not upload as I find little gems and old memories.
    So this topic is really open to anyone who wishes to post some old airchecks, trailers, memories, jingles or whatever really in relation to the radio 1 of yesterday.
    1982 british rock and pop awards advert by ian.arnold
  • ratnobratnob June 2012

Welcome back, lad.

Here's one of the earliest montages I made: the first phase of the Radio One JAM era, with a few PAMS cuts thrown in. Makes me all nostalgic:

http://homepage.mac.com/geoffbarton/IDs/Radio_One_montage.mp3
  • IanIan June 2012
    Thanks Geoff,
    That's one of my favourite montages. I have that as one of my many crashed files. I will come across it soon no doubt.
    In the meantime, I found this. An advert aired on radio 1 telling us all to make sure we have our TV licence.
    TV Licence advert by ian.arnold
  • IanIan June 2012
    And an advert for one of the many fun days out.
    Fun day out advert by ian.arnold
  • IanIan June 2012
    And I can't really see radio 1 doing a show like this these days....
    Films of 1983 advert by ian.arnold
  • IanIan June 2012
    David Jensen advertising his evening show.
    David Jensen nightime advert by ian.arnold
  • IanIan June 2012
    Advert for "scruples" with Simon Mayo......
    Scruples advert by ian.arnold
  • IanIan June 2012
    Does anyone remember Chartbusters? It went out before the top 40 on a Sunday afternoon.
    Chartbusters advert by ian.arnold
  • IanIan June 2012
    A Robbie Vincent advert.
    Robbie Vincent Advert by ian.arnold
  • upsweepupsweep June 2012
    something i did a few years back :)

Upsweep's Not More R1 Ext. by Clive Poole
  • IanIan June 2012
    Hi Hayley.
    Absolutely loved it. The fact that you have some of the first ever jingles mixed with some of the post Jam era. Really good.
  • BarrasBarras June 2012
    Hi Ian,

I posted this “JAM Radio 1 Clone” montage a few years back and out of all the montages I`ve worked on and posted over the years, this is probably my favourite of all time, hope you enjoy it….

JAM Radio 1 Clones by Barras
  • wixy1360wixy1360 June 2012
    Ian - should you have any "gaps" remaining after the crash with say earlier R1 stuff e.g. PAMS, P-T, AP, give me a shout!
  • IanIan June 2012
    David. I loved that. Somewhere amongst my many files I did a similar thing for each Jam package that had then done resings for radio 1. Hopefully I will find them soon.

Iain, many thanks for the kind offer. Unfortunately, I thought I was being clever by backing everything up to an external hard drive. I now know that if you leave that hard drive plugged into the pc it becomes an extension of your local drive. I.e. if your pc crashes then so does the external hard drive. I shan't make the same mistake again.
    I had the most important stuff on pc, hard drive and burnt to cd. so recovering most of this was a simple process of ripping the cd's. It's the bits I hadn't burnt to cd that I am painstakingly trying to recover. I definitly didn't have the PT bits burnt to cd but in my quest I have found them from the files I recovered. Just not sure of the order or the package names.
  • IanIan June 2012
    Remember Bruno Brookes, the compact disc jockey?
    Bruno Brooks advert by ian.arnold
  • IanIan June 2012
    Anyone remember Ann Marie Grey? (Not sure I've spelt that right)
    Ann Marie Grey advert by ian.arnold
  • IanIan June 2012
    Gary Davies advertising his Saturday night show, circa 1983
    Gary Davies advert by ian.arnold
  • BarrasBarras June 2012
    "Ann Marie Grey" escapes me Ian, can`t recall that show...

BTW I like the idea of this "Radio 1 Memories" thread, keep everything together in one thread. Here`s a video I posted on YouTube of Noel Edmonds and the JAM carts @ Radio 1...

"now know that if you leave that hard drive plugged into the pc it becomes an extension of your local drive. I.e. if your pc crashes then so does the external hard drive"

Thanks for that Ian!

With so many JMers making moves to go "all hard drive" with external "backup/mirror" drives, and dumping their boxes of backup CDs etc, THAT is even more timely advice to add to the various other warnings we've had about how the integrity of external HDD use is not as reliable or robust as many of us had hoped.

Looks like for the time being we all need to definately retain at least a single "other, non-powered media" copy of anything audio, no matter how much physical space saving the use of terabyte-class 5.25" or 3.5" form-factor HDDs might offer us.
  • IanIan June 2012
    Well I certainly learned a valuable lesson. I now back everything up onto CD and only plug my external hard drive into the pc when I want to back up from the pc. Just glad my collection is small in comparison to others on here like Mr. Barras.
    On a positive note, it is giving me the opportunity to go through every individual file and find some little gems that I hadn't catalogued the first time around.

And to Mr Paul Bland......amazing airchecks thanks Paul. I can remember you and I posting our aircheck montages. I think it was more than a couple of years ago though. How the time flies.
  • IanIan June 2012
    How about a Radio 1 calendar?
    Radio 1 calendar advert 1983 by ian.arnold
  • IanIan June 2012
    Steve Wright breakfast show advert
    Steve Wright breakfast show advert by ian.arnold
  • IanIan June 2012
    Think this was a one off show but not sure.
    What Next advert by ian.arnold
  • BarrasBarras June 2012
    Ian said:

Well I certainly learned a valuable lesson. I now back everything up onto CD and only plug my external hard drive into the pc when I want to back up from the pc. Just glad my collection is small in comparison to others on here like Mr. Barras.

I`m out of my league here, I know nowt about the technical side of external hard-drives etc…however, going by experience, I had a laptop crash a few years back and the external hard-drive was plugged in at the time and the external hard-drive DIDN`T crash.

Ian, could the reason why your external hard-drive crashed be the brand/make of external HD ?

BTW mine was a Seagate and it`s still working today.
    Ian, I'm going to ask if you had the crashed X-HDD setup with partitions, or just simply as a default "one drive".

Reason is, I was intending to setup my new gear fairly soon, with several partitions on each of the 2 "parallel" X-HDDs that would be "mirrors" of a similar planned structure on the new PC (we all know how long it can take to "defrag" etc and otherwise do routine "housekeeping maintenance" with whopping big WAV files on a single-partition entire HDD even in pre-Terabyte era never mind with big-capacity single-partition un-"divided" drives).

PS - David's right there - Seagate were one of the earliest and (still are) most respected manufacturers of reliable hard drives - I've seen them survive in "robust" industrial environments that would take out these wee "laptop"-form factor things.
  • IanIan June 2012
    Gents,
    I am far from technical when it comes to these things. I will give you the facts and let you gents who probably know far mor about these things pick the meat from the bones.

I bought a Seagate 500GB X-HDD that simply plugs into the PC via a usb port.
    At the time of buying it I checked the properties and it was indeed 500GB.
    I then transferred files over to the X-HDD and that was 35GB worth. It then showed 35GB used and 465GB free.
    Then when the pc crashed it crashed completely. I couldn't even turn it on. Never mind I thought, all my files are replicated on the X-HDD. When I plugged it into my laptop and tried to recover them with a recovery tool, I think they were there still but somehow partitioned off. I did manage to recover them but as I said earlier, they renamed themselves files 1 to 5798 with all properties lost.
    If I look at the properties of the X-HDD now it shows total capacity 500GB but free space 465GB. I am guessing the initial 35GB of files that I copied onto the X-HDD are still there in the original folders and are taking up 35GB as when first copied over. Only thing is that cannot see them. As I said earlier, I think I must have created a partition on the X-HDD when I recovered them. Any ideas as to how to unpartition the X-HDD?
    If I can do that I should find everything there as originlly saved.
    I hope I didn't mis-lead anyone when I said I had lost them, but in a sense I have.
    "I am guessing the initial 35GB ...cannot see them. As I said earlier, I think I must have created a partition on the X-HDD when I recovered them"

Something similar happened couple of years ago to my daughter's uni laptop - a 5Gig partition "vanished" but contents of it were shown as still subtracting from the total capacity. Got it all back eventually, but I'm wracking my brains to remember what I did to achieve it! (Wasn't a "day-to-day" ordinary file recovery task I do remember!)

Some partition management programs such as Partition Expert can let you "recover" missing partitions' contents when changing the structure, but I would be loath to give any direct advice here as I'm really only qualified (MCP ITSSP etc) on pre-Vista-level and I'd hate to suggest trying something that might risk making it worse. Also, none of the "conventional" lost-data software I have here is Vista/W7 compatible.

So - over to the "whizz kids" (i.e. anyone under 40!!!)

• IanIan June 2012
    I'm actually running XP here
  • IanIan June 2012
    Tommy Vance starting "Rock On" circa 1983 as Richard Skinner was ill.
    Tommy Vance Rock on start by ian.arnold
  • IanIan June 2012
    Start Of Bruno Brookes early show, July 1984
    Bruno Brookes early show start 1984 by ian.arnold
  • IanIan June 2012
    A 4 minute aircheck in medium wave of Steve Wright doing the breakfast show circa 1982 for Mike Read.
    What can anyone tell me about the jingle at 3:47?
    Steve Wright breakfast show 1982 MW by ian.arnold
  • IanIan June 2012
    A Thunderbirds style advert for Lenny Henry.
    Lenny Henry Advert by ian.arnold
  • IanIan June 2012
    I know we probably all have this but it's a classic.
    Summer radio on the Peter Powell show jingle (Chris Rainbow)
    Summer radio on the Peter Powell show by ian.arnold
  • BarrasBarras June 2012
    Ian said:

A 4 minute aircheck in medium wave of Steve Wright doing the breakfast show circa 1982 for Mike Read.
    What can anyone tell me about the jingle at 3:47?
    Steve Wright breakfast show 1982 MW by ian.arnold

Ian,

the acapella jingle @ 3:47 “The Breakfast Show” is sung by Adian Baker. As you can hear, it`s Adrian`s voice singing and it`s multi-tracked several times to give a full acapella, vocal sound. Mark Wesley did a similar thing for a set of jingles @ Radio Luxembourg in the 1980s.

I posted some Adrian Baker acapella jingles for Noel Edmonds previously and here they are again in case you didn`t hear them, I love this “different” jingle sound and thought it worked well on Radio One and Luxembourg…

Adrian Baker - Noel Edmonds by Barras

Adrian Baker recorded a whole bunch of acapella jingles for several jocks @ Radio One and it`s another elusive British package of jingles, unfortunately, I heard on the grapevine that the Radio One copy of Adrian Baker`s jingles ended up in that frightening “jingle skip” (American translation - “jingle dumpster”).

There are a few ramblings on Jinglemad about Adrian Baker and I found this thread, here`s the link…

http://jinglemad.com/index.php?p=/discussion/7880/adrian-baker-acapellas

• IanIan June 2012
    Many thanks David
  • bland75bland75 June 2012
    Thanks for all the audio posted here - all good stuff.

I've been listening to some R1 airchecks from 1990/91 recently including this intro from Steve Wright - does anybody know who did the sax intro link before going into the jingle that is now Hyperilnk Cut#6?

Cheers, Paul

http://www.4shared.com/mp3/Q91ys5P-/SW_Sax_Intro.html
  • That's one of the instrumental stings from the KPM Power Shot series.
  • deedahdeedah June 2012
    All this talk of Radio 1 reminds me of a couple of questions on the '80s stuff...

I've never heard another version of "Radio 1, the big one" - what package was this from?

Also, was the sung news jingle custom for Radio 1? Any other versions?

Ta :)
  • deedah said:

I've never heard another version of "Radio 1, the big one" - what package was this from?

The only other version I've heard of that particular jingle was when it was resung "Sunday to Thursday, Steve Wright" - also for Radio 1.

• deedahdeedah June 2012
    You're right, I'd forgotten that one! Must've been used on other stations though?
  • BarrasBarras June 2012
    deedah said:

All this talk of Radio 1 reminds me of a couple of questions on the '80s stuff...

Ta :)

If it`s this "Big One/Sunday to Thursday" jingle, it`s from JAM`s Music Now, possibly sung for WLUM too...

BIG ONE-SUNDAY TO THURSDAY by DavidBarras
  • deedahdeedah June 2012
    Thanks Barras, that's the one - hadn't spotted it on Music Now.

Any ideas on the '80s news jingle? Was that custom for Radio 1?
  • BarrasBarras June 2012
    No problem deedah...

About this "80`s news Jingle" - any chance you could post an off-air example or give a description of it ?
  • deedahdeedah June 2012
    You know the one, "Radio 1... news..."? Not heard it sung for anyone else.
  • Another one for Jon himself to provide the story...
  • BarrasBarras June 2012
    deedah said:

You know the one, "Radio 1... news..."? Not heard it sung for anyone else.

Is it this news jingle below ?

If it is, I`ve never heard it sung for any other station...

JAM RADIO 1 NEWS (1976) by DavidBarras

• Barras said:

Is it this news jingle below ?

I preferred the later version of that jingle (from the early 80's).

I cant imagine that jingle being sung for anything else other than a news ID.

I always thought that the original Radio 1 JAM news cut was perhaps "influenced" by the the much-earlier P-T "WWDC" Odyssey-70 one that R1 used circa 1969. (I've posted that audio somewhere on JM before...can't find my link...)

Perhaps the Beeb said "we've had this one (P-T) before, can you do something like that but do it MUCH better?" Maybe Jon himself could tell the "background history" on that one?

The P-T effort was a very insipid thing - but that JAM one really "went to town" on its production values and sheer impact on-air. Its probably one of if not THE most striking news intros ever heard on any kind of music station anywhere, and its re-incarnations lasted over 15 years, as well as all the variants/mixes. A lot of today's "news-ins" are very wishy-washy by comparison (especially with those ubiquitous but dull "synth hit" supposed "sonic logo" notes).
  • deedahdeedah June 2012
    Yep Barras, thanks, that's the one. I'm with gameswizard and prefer the early '80s version.

I'd love to know the background on the Radio 1 news jingle if Jon's around... :)
  • That R1news jingle is my absolute favourite. Reminds me of summer holidays in Cornwall which seemed to be the only time my father would allow the car radio to be altered from R4! I also think it's the best of the bunch in any event. Thanks for posting :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook

Sign In Apply for Membership

In this Discussion