Listen now to JingleMad Radio here or find out more at Radio Today.
Marcher Sound/alfasound
  • deanowilliamsdeanowilliams October 2011
    hi folks
    i'm trying to find some jingles from marcher sound. I believe they were made by Alfasound. i've searched on here but all the files seem to be missing, links broken etc.
    They're very interesting to me particular as i live in what was the marcher sound area.

Thanks
  • simon_t123simon_t123 October 2011

hi folks
    i'm trying to find some jingles from marcher sound. I believe they were made by Alfasound. i've searched on here but all the files seem to be missing, links broken etc.
    They're very interesting to me particular as i live in what was the marcher sound area.

Thanks

Voila, it's in Alfa demo form I'm afraid ... Not cut by cut or anything like that but worth a listen image
    Marcher Sound (Alfa).mp3

Attached files Marcher Sound (Alfa).mp3 (5.4 MB) 
  • deanowilliamsdeanowilliams October 2011
    excellent. thanks a lot.
    does anyone have any of the 1983 stuff in particular the female sung one that goes "marcher sound...your station your sound"
  • BarrasBarras October 2011
    Drop me an email and I`m sure we can work something out...

Here`s what I have in my collection:

0147 ALFASOUND VOLUME 9 – MARCHER SOUND
    0157 ALFASOUND VOLUME 19 – MARCHER GOLD
    0550 JAM/ALFASOUND VOLUME 26 – MARCHER COAST-GOLD 1995 & 1996
    2723 ALFASOUND – Marcher Sound (master reel)
  • gameswizardgameswizard October 2011

does anyone have any of the 1983 stuff..."marcher sound...your station your sound"

Ah yes...the David Arnold package.

If that jingle is the acapella I'm thinking of, it was male/female vocals.

Edit: I did find a female vocal of "Marcher Sound...your station your sound".

Here's a Marcher Sound (David Arnold) montage I've put together:
    http://www.4shared.com/audio/ytTbTBbV/MARCHER_SOUND_MONTAGE.html
    (Apologies for the slight glitch @12seconds).

Note: The vast majority of the Marcher Sound instrumentals can be found on the David Arnold "Radio Mercury" CD.
  • wixy1360wixy1360 October 2011
    Mike, would I be right in saying that the Marcher version was the "custom", amd that the "Mercury, the Sound of the South" was basically a re-sing plus a straight dub of the instrumental set?

Also, I have an aircheck bit of what appears to be Marcher's MFM Wirral but with JAM cuts?
    or maybe JAM tracks with Alfa vocals?
  • gameswizardgameswizard October 2011

Mike, would I be right in saying that the Marcher version was the "custom", amd that the "Mercury, the Sound of the South" was basically a re-sing plus a straight dub of the instrumental set?

As far as I'm aware Iain, that is correct.
  • RobinBlamiresRobinBlamires October 2011
    Then again, I'm guessing some of the Mercury cuts were made specially for the Sussex based station
    as they were based around the melody logo with the additional three notes, in comparison to Marcher.
  • philedmondsphiledmonds November 2011
    wixy1360 said:

Also, I have an aircheck bit of what appears to be Marcher's MFM Wirral but with JAM cuts?

What date is this aircheck from?

In the mid 90's MFM had a Alfa / Top Format package on air - demoed as Wham by Alfa (it dates from the last years of Alfasound when they dropped the 'sound' bit) - and as whammer (with European vocals) by Top Format.

At a similar time they did have various 'Marcher' 'Marcher and MFM' and 'Marcher Coast' cuts from various JAM packages (not sure if they were US or UK vocals.) I can't recall a pure "MFM only" JAM package - but I could be wrong.
  • DevawebDevaweb November 2011
    There was an MFM package after they switched on the 97.1 transmitter; originally a WBLI package. It included the weather cut sung as "MFM Weather, brought to you with CIS Windows" and it all sounded fantastic on air. There were some top-up cuts also, including a Z100 Christmas cut.
  • mbmb November 2011
    I remember the Ten Thirty four, ninety seven one MFM jingles! In about 1993ish I remember some new cuts coming in including "Live from HMS Plymouth MFM"
  • wixy1360wixy1360 November 2011
    Thats indeed the ones - the TenThirtyFour, NinetySevenOne was a bit weird for that era in the UK - got cassette airchecks of it all lurking somewhere (...including the CIS Windows...and a damn good news-intro sounder...)

Central FM (Falkirk/Stirling) had some of them re-sung at one point with Alfasound vocals.
  • wolfiewolfie November 2011
    Devaweb said:

There was an MFM package after they switched on the 97.1 transmitter; originally a WBLI package. It included the weather cut sung as "MFM Weather, brought to you with CIS Windows" and it all sounded fantastic on air. There were some top-up cuts also, including a Z100 Christmas cut.

Seem to recall the cuts were from Laser Image, originally done for WBLI. The fantastic weather jingle can be heard at the start of this YouTube video done by ex-MFM jock Paul Griffiths. One of 5 such videos in fact:-

• philedmondsphiledmonds December 2011
    Devaweb said:

Thanks Chris, I should have remembered that one was JAM - as it's one of of my favourite weather jingles - however MFM was also using a Alfasound package with the "ten thirty four, ninty seven one..." line, so had forgotten the one JAM cut.

I think they kept using that weather cut, without the sponsor sing for several years, later they had a car dealer sponsoring the weather and used the dealers commercial jingle which never sounded as "big" as the CIS Windows one.

Some years ago Paul Griffths did have a load of MFM jingles on-line (not sure if it was his website or another one, I just have a folder of MP3 jingles and airchecks which I noted as coming from him.)

• BarrasBarras December 2011
    Several years back I was lucky enough to get dubs of the Paul Turner (who Chris Moyles uses on Radio 1 these days) session reel and a dub of the JAM reel for MFM, in this montage I`ve placed one Turner liner and then a JAM cut, hope this montage brings back some good memories for you MFM fans...

http://soundcloud.com/barras-1/jam-turner-mfm
  • peejdjpeejdj December 2011

wixy1360 said:

What date is this aircheck from?

In the mid 90's MFM had a Alfa / Top Format package on air - demoed as Wham by Alfa (it dates from the last years of Alfasound when they dropped the 'sound' bit) - and as whammer (with European vocals) by Top Format.

At a similar time they did have various 'Marcher' 'Marcher and MFM' and 'Marcher Coast' cuts from various JAM packages (not sure if they were US or UK vocals.) I can't recall a pure "MFM only" JAM package - but I could be wrong.

The first JAM package was from 1994 and across the Marcher network, including MFM, Marcher Gold and Coast. There were also cuts for when MFM and Marcher joined up at night. Some of the cuts were from the WBLI package. There were also cuts for the newly launched 97.1 Wirral opt out. The voice used by the station was John Wells and the strapline was "all the hits, all the time".

When Terry Underhill arrived as PD in 1995, the sung package was dropped in favour of sweepers voiced by Paul Turner and there was no strapline as such, although the sweepers featured phrases such as "the best music and the biggest stars".

The Wham package was indeed an MFM only package, introduced in 1996. IIRC it was Top Format tracks and the vocals were JAM. A new strapline was introduced - The best hit music station - which was remarkably similar to City FM's strapline at the time, which was "The number one hit music station"! The station voice changed to Jeff Davis.

It proved to be the last ever sung MFM jingle package as the next one was introduced when the station reverted to its original name, Marcher Sound.
  • SeanMartinSeanMartin December 2011
    Gorgeous package !

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook

Sign In Apply for Membership

In this Discussion