Listen now to JingleMad Radio here or find out more at Radio Today.
Nobody Does It Worst?:
  • LenGroatLenGroat June 2011
    I think this is a rarity?

It is a dub of all the cuts from a package made for Piccadilly about September 1976 - I left shortly afterwards. I think it must rank of one of the worst ILR packages ever? Another presenter found a bill which showed it cost about £1700. It appeared about the same time as the JAM Piccadilly acapellas (edits) were being used a lot.

I recall it was greeted with dismay by some of the other presenters, and only parts of it were ever used, and only briefly? Can anyone remember it, or cast any more light on it?

http://www.4shared.com/audio/kWBskmS4/Piccadilly_1976.html
  • rakrak June 2011
    I think it was John Cameron Music, who may be related to this Wiki site http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collective_Consciousness_Society

They get a mention at the bottom for the Piccadilly package.

At the risk of being controversial I didn't mind that package.

• At the risk of being controversial I didn't mind that package.

I tend to agree. Some of those cuts were reasonable even though they are quite "tacky" sounding.
    I must have listened to Piccadilly at a very early age. 'Piccadilly...radio..nobody does it better" @ 1min, and the 'Piccadilly...great music and a whole lot more' @ 2min18sec - 2min35sec seem to rings bells.
  • NathanRossNathanRoss July 2011

I tend to agree. Some of those cuts were reasonable even though they are quite "tacky" sounding.
    I must have listened to Piccadilly at a very early age. 'Piccadilly...radio..nobody does it better" @ 1min, and the 'Piccadilly...great music and a whole lot more' @ 2min18sec - 2min35sec seem to rings bells.

50/50!!!!!!!

I supposed they served their purpose.

I remember hating Mercury's new Brit jingles when I was at the station so I know what you mean! They sounded too tinny compared to the JAM/Alfa Sound packages floating around in the 80s!
  • LenGroatLenGroat July 2011

Thanks for the responses!

My point here is that in context we had been using the incisive, clear, short, superbly sung JAM acapellas

261 ~ Pic Cad Dilly - Ste re o Nine ty Sev ennnn (fast and slow versions)

and just those two cuts, with edits/fx had provided enough material for a mini package. In contast, these sound like Blue Mink flipsides, not jingles 'quite tacky', and the vocals are 'doughy'. I don't think John Cameron would have accepted the loose writing and vocals + the price also suggests it was another individual / copmpany?

I realise we are 'meant' to look back nostalgically to these early ILR days, but when I joined Piccadilly, parts of the output sounded very dull. There was no 'all singing, all dancing' News intro; we had to fade the song at the top of the jhour, and the newsreader came in COLD: 'Piccadilly news, at 11 o'clock, I'm Henry Matthews.. '

ZERO presentation style.... I even dared to ask Colin Walters why they did not 'fanfare' the news, and he had no idea why this was important...

THANK GOODNESS Alan Fawkes and Steve England then created Alfasound !
  • OnyxPaulOnyxPaul July 2011
    Are you sure about the dates Len? I remember Chris Evans playing these "new jingles" one after another about 1982 (after the Alfasound package). There were many other cuts than just these.
  • OnyxPaulOnyxPaul July 2011
    Just done a bit of digging, the package is from 1981 by David Riley

• Just done a bit of digging, the package is from 1981 by David Riley

That would make more sense, listening to Piccadilly Radio at the age of 12 rather than 7, as I usually listened to Radio 1 from the mid 70's onwards and rarely touched the dial imagehttp://jinglemad.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

OOooops ~ SORRY ~ Confusion ~ Hey I AM almost a pensioner... !!

'Nobody Does it Better' was from a James Bond film issued in 1977~ would they have waited 4 years to use the line for a jingle package? Maybe the package was revived on Piccadilly in 1081?

BUT

I do recall the '£1700 package' in Autumn 1976, so maybe that WAS another jingle package?

OnyxPaul: the 'David Riley' part DOES fit !

The mystery unfolds.....

Attached files image
  • BarrasBarras July 2011

My point here is that in context we had been using the incisive, clear, short, superbly sung JAM acapellas

261 ~ Pic Cad Dilly - Ste re o Nine ty Sev ennnn (fast and slow versions)

and just those two cuts, with edits/fx had provided enough material for a mini package.

Just in case any of the "younger" collectors haven`t heard the acapellas that Len is talking about, here are the fast and slow versions...

JAM Piccadilly (FAST).mp3

JAM Piccadilly (SLOW).mp3

Attached files JAM Piccadilly (FAST).mp3 (274.4 KB)  JAM Piccadilly (SLOW).mp3 (401.8 KB) 

• Just in case any of the "younger" collectors haven`t heard the acapellas that Len is talking about, here are the fast and slow versions...

JAM Piccadilly (FAST).mp3

JAM Piccadilly (SLOW).mp3

They're great, David. I don't think I've heard these before.

I thought ILR only started using JAM when Steve England became an agent for JAM, as the BBC had the monopoly for JAM (or something along those lines/ILR could only use jingles made in the UK).
  • Well, Steve England himself actually commissioned those as he was a presenter at Picadilly back then.
    David:

Thanks for posting those 2 acapellas. They illustrate well my point that having had SUPERB vocals in 1976 Piccadilly later had those retrograde, muffled, unclear vocals on the NDIB package (whatever date it was !)

GamesWizard:

'I thought ILR only started using JAM when Steve England became an agent for JAM, as the BBC had the monopoly for JAM (or something along those lines/ILR could only use jingles made in the UK).'

The story is now part of jingle legend ~ but as Steve is too modest to tell it; he loved PAMS and realised early on that JAM was the new PAMS. Due to his interest in Jon's new venture Steve arranged a visit for them to Johnny Beerling at Radio 1 (JB was a fan of Steve's work and Steve turned down an offer to work at Radio 1.)

JB was sceptical about leaving PAMS... that was UNTIL he heard the demos, including 'Priority One'. The result - an association that lasted nearly 2 decades.

I believe, Steve's Dimension 2 cut + the Picc acaps were the first JAM cuts on ILR (1975-6) and then in 1978 and 1979 I (privately) ordered JAM cuts for my Trent show (Best Country #2 and Positron #17) just before I took over control of jingles for Trent, and (of course) used Alfasound. The IBA / MU forbade ILR using American companies ~ so the Radio 1 monopoly with JAM lasted until 1988.

I think that precisely sums it up; but Jon or Steve can always correct my (old ) memory!

Len
  • ratnobratnob July 2011
    Fascinating, entertaining post, Len.
    And I'm with you - those jingles were atrocious.
  • goonernn7goonernn7 July 2011

Fascinating, entertaining post, Len.
    And I'm with you - those jingles were atrocious.

Incredible. Certainly a "lost" package until now. Thanks Len for posting them. I've been after these jingles for years, having grown up in deepest Lancashire and receiving Piccadilly on a good day and a decent FM tuner.

At the time I loved these jingles and I'm shocked so many people on here hate them. Hearing them in context at the time, they seemed to make the station sound huge. But maybe I'm another victim of loving 70s & 80s ILR nostalgia !

I can confirm they're definitely from the early 1980s not 1976. The previous package to this one was a brilliant "Straight from the heart" package from Sue Manning Music. They also seemed to have a load of Alfasound Tapetrix idents too - perhaps Steve England can give us the definite timeline?

They used this jingle as its news fanfare. It's a terrible recording but I remember the initial stereo moog effect went from left-to-right twice and grabbed the ears !

Attached files 1981-Piccadillynews-air.mp3 (363.8 KB) 
  • BarrasBarras July 2011

David:

Thanks for posting those 2 acapellas. They illustrate well my point that having had SUPERB vocals in 1976 Piccadilly later had those retrograde, muffled, unclear vocals on the NDIB package (whatever date it was !)

No problem Len, I have mentioned this before on JM and in The Collector`s Tale series but for anyone "new" reading this, I initially got those Steve England cuts from Len in 1977, recorded on a yellow AGFA C90 cassette, which I still have in mint condition in my collection. image

I believe, Steve's Dimension 2 cut + the Picc acaps were the first JAM cuts on ILR (1975-6) I think that precisely sums it up; but Jon or Steve can always correct my (old ) memory!

Len

Don`t forget Pennine Radio had some accapellas sung for them by JAM around the same time.

This thread has got me thinking about the following question...

"What was the first JAM jingle played out on British radio ?"

I reckon it would either be a BBC Radio Two cut or the Steve England cut Len mentioned previously - cut #13 from Dimension Two, the cut is called "Nice Day" and here it is...

JAM Steve England Show (Dimension Two #13 Nice Day).mp3

What do you think fellow jingle fans ?

Attached files JAM Steve England Show (Dimension Two #13 Nice Day).mp3 (628.7 KB) 
  • @LenGroat

Thanks for the explanation imagehttp://jinglemad.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='B)' />
  • BarrasBarras July 2011
    Any takers on the question in post #16 of this thread ?

Any takers on the question in post #16 of this thread ?

That's a VERY interesting Question David. I think Steve's sing of the Dimension 2 cut dated to 1975 (JAM issued Dimension 2 before Priority One) so to answer it you need to know THE date JAM was first aired on Radio 1 and/or Radio 2.

That sounds like a JW question to me!

Len
  • GlennaGlenna July 2011
    Toby Arnold did a Nobody Does It Better Package for KLAC AM.
    And remixed to Thank You for Lovin Our Country for WSOC FM.
  • RadioTimesRadioTimes July 2011

so to answer it you need to know THE date JAM was first aired on Radio 1 and/or Radio 2.

To my knowledge the first Radio 1/2 jingles were played on Saturday 2 October 1976 - the start of the new radio autumn season. This means the first jingles were played during Tom Edwards Radio 2 show with the first jingle on air being the "Radio 2 Has Got It Right" opener.

I recorded the new Radio 1 news jingle that morning and that recording includes a fraction of a second of Wally Whyton - Wally was sitting in for Ed Stewart that weekend on Junior Choice so he has the distinction of being first on air with the new Radio 1 JAM package.
  • BarrasBarras July 2011

That sounds like a JW question to me!

Len

Hi Len,

pleased to say I`ve just heard from Jon and he`s going to answer this question for us...

"What was the first JAM jingle played out on British radio ?"

David
  • BarrasBarras July 2011

To my knowledge the first Radio 1/2 jingles were played on Saturday 2 October 1976 - the start of the new radio autumn season. This means the first jingles were played during Tom Edwards Radio 2 show with the first jingle on air being the "Radio 2 Has Got It Right" opener.

I recorded the new Radio 1 news jingle that morning and that recording includes a fraction of a second of Wally Whyton - Wally was sitting in for Ed Stewart that weekend on Junior Choice so he has the distinction of being first on air with the new Radio 1 JAM package.

Thanks for this RadioTimes, I never knew that about Wally Whyton...

When you say "Radio 2 has Got It Right" I presume you mean the soft song from the "You`ve Got It" package by JAM, here it is...

JAM BBC Radio 2 (You`ve Got it - Soft Song - 1976).mp3

I think you`re probably right in saying that the Radio 2 station song could be the first ever JAM jingle played out on UK radio, however, it depends on when the Steve England cut was aired and could there be another JAM jingle in the running !

Hopefully Jon Wolfert will clarify this soon....

Attached files JAM BBC Radio 2 (You`ve Got it - Soft Song - 1976).mp3 (2.4 MB) 
  • wixy1360wixy1360 July 2011
    According to legend/myth, the 2 JAM cuts for Piccadilly posted by David were part of a "freebie" to Steve for "consideration" of some kind of potential link-up some day for UK clients...obviously only Steve & JMW themselves know the real story! But what an inkling of the successful association that was to come to fruition years later!

By the way, At40fan, that wee audio snippet of the moog Piccadilly news-in/out is uncannily like the one I submitted yonks ago - from one of my own aircheck cassettes recorded from a hotel room at Runcorn near the Wirral circa 1981! I don't mind the "lift" though - 'cos those cuts sounded really "big" on air! All I need now is a high quality dub of them....

PS...a mind-rattler for Len - who/what was the late 1970s Piccadilly package with the very short "bah-bah, bah-bah" news intro when Piccadilly would simply identify into the news with "Greater Manchester Independent Radio, Its (whatever) O'clock"...?

When you say "Radio 2 has Got It Right" I presume you mean the soft song from the "You`ve Got It" package by JAM, here it is...

That's the one Dave, or at least a version of it. All I have is this low quality copy of the jingle that Radio 2 used to open the station each day.

Andy

Attached files R2 has Got It Right + bed (1976).mp3 (391.8 KB) 
  • BarrasBarras July 2011

That's the one Dave...Radio 2 used to open the station each day.

Andy

Hi Andy,

that`s actually two jingles together...

Are we now saying that the first JAM jingle on Radio Two (and possibly the first JAM jingle played out on UK radio) is this one and not the Radio Two You`ve Got It soft song ?

Attached files JAM THIS IS RADIO TWO.mp3 (144.5 KB) 
    Hadn't appreciated that it was two jingles stitched together, so yes "This is Radio 2" would've been the first I'm 99% sure. That's certainly how Radio 2 opened at the time (from October 76). I don't have the actual recording from the day in question but I have checked a ropey off-air recording made in either '76 or '77(I had edited out the actual announcer) and that jingle sequence was used. I think on the 2nd Tom Edwards would've made the opening announcement before starting his show after the news. Incidentally I do know the newsreader that morning was James Alexander Gordon (of Classified Football Results fame) presumably introduced by the first play of the JAM R2 news jingle.
  • BarrasBarras July 2011
    Thanks Andy, this is really interesting from a JAM fan point of view, the discovery of the first JAM jingle played on-air in the UK !

As I said before, I guess we`ll have to wait for Jon Wolfert himself to confirm this 100 %.

You mentioned the news-theme for Radio Two in 1976, which I presume would be the first piece of music audio from JAM and here is that theme...

Attached files JAM RADIO TWO NEWS THEME 1976.mp3 (342.2 KB) 
  • CHLOECHLOE July 2011
    the nobody does it better jingle was used every lunch time by susie mathis as she did a quiz and the winner went to the millionaire club in piccadilly gardens
  • philedmondsphiledmonds November 2011
    LenGroat said:

I think this is a rarity?

It is a dub of all the cuts from a package made for Piccadilly about September 1976 - I left shortly afterwards. I think it must rank of one of the worst ILR packages ever? Another presenter found a bill which showed it cost about £1700. It appeared about the same time as the JAM Piccadilly acapellas (edits) were being used a lot.

I recall it was greeted with dismay by some of the other presenters, and only parts of it were ever used, and only briefly? Can anyone remember it, or cast any more light on it?

http://www.4shared.com/audio/kWBskmS4/Piccadilly_1976.html

I'd go along with later respondents in this thread to date this package to the 1980's.

Here's a couple of cuts from this package - the second with a Bill Mitchell Voiceover:
    http://www.philedmonds.info/piccadilly/nobodydoesitbetter.mp3
    http://www.philedmonds.info/piccadilly/261sting.mp3

These were dubbed off some "recycled carts" that came from Piccadilly sometime in the 80's, other cuts from the same batch of carts:
    http://www.philedmonds.info/piccadilly/24hrsstereomusic.mp3
    http://www.philedmonds.info/piccadilly/heartthatbeats.mp3
    Which I think do come from a different package entirely. I've got more from this batch these are just the ones I have readily as MP3's.

Also while on the topic of Piccadilly Jingles - could anyone shine any light on the origins of these - circa early 90's (sorry very dodgy cassette dub of dodgy cassette dub):
    http://www.philedmonds.info/audio5/key103-unknown.mp3

My hunch is that they are by Pete Baker/Sound Ideas - I thought I had a MP3 of some Sound Idea demos, but can't put my finger on them just now.
  • DevawebDevaweb November 2011
    Yes, they're Sound Ideas, who were also based inside Piccadilly Plaza. One of the cuts was also sung for BRMB., and I must say, that I was a big fan of their work. I have a few of their packages on cassette, including one for "Classic Rock Radio" although I never worked out what station that actually was, or where they were.
  • wolfiewolfie November 2011
    On the cuts Phil posted, the Sound Ideas package went on air in September 1989 when Key 103 went from the failed 'Music...Not Music' era to the more normal chart format. The jingles never sounded that good on air - at the time it sounded like something done very cheaply and hurredly. I seem to recall they didn't last long (1 year at most?), as they were replaced by a JAM package.

The middle 2 cuts (Heart that beats etc.) were the excellent mid 80s 'Straight from the Heart' package. You very rarely hear cuts from that anywhere.
  • BigdaveBigdave November 2011
    The mid 80's package was made by the highly underrated Sue Manning Music - also responsible for some fine packages for BRMB,Capital,Red Rose and most famously,Hallam..
  • BarrasBarras November 2011

My hunch is that they are by Pete Baker/Sound Ideas - I thought I had a MP3 of some Sound Idea demos, but can't put my finger on them just now.

They`re from the MEGATRON demo at #0081 in my jingle collection. Interestingly, they did some cuts for my local oldies station in North-East England, which in those days was called Great North Radio, those cuts were never aired....

0058 SOUND IDEAS with Pete Baker - Piccadilly Plaza, Manchester “MEGATRON” demo 1990

Piccadilly Radio
    Classic Rock Radio
    BBC South & West
    Q FM
    American Budweisser Top 40 Show
    Great North Radio
    Benny Brown sweepers for KEY 103

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook

Sign In Apply for Membership

In this Discussion