Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook

Sign In Apply for Membership

In this Discussion

BBC Local Radio is changing
  • The 'Countyshire' jingle & beds in that clip sound very S2Blue to me ...

I hope not too many stations take the same cuts as the Mark Forrest show !!!
  • VinnahVinnah May 2013
    3CR Changed their jingles a couple of weeks ago. Nothing spectacular really, I'm sure I've heard the package being used elsewhere. There are also some old bits thrown in which haven't been updated yet. Interestingly enough the VO still says "On AM, FM, Online & DAB" so it seems as if the Medium Wave broadcasts are going nowhere as of yet.

I don't really listen to Local Radio anymore as it's only a shadow of it's former self but I really don't think that the package 3CR are using now is suitable, it just doesn't seem to go with the rest of the station
  • mbmb May 2013
    I'd noticed the jingles changed - they made the travel news intro shorter as it took up way too much time but it's all very generic middle of the road versions of the cuts - if anytihng a bit slower and calmer. It's like noone listened to Iain Lee and they've stuck old school style BBC local Radio sweepers on a show they don't suit.
    Wish he could use his old LBC Theme!
  • shf2013shf2013 July 2013
    can someone upload the bbc york mcasso jingle? It's really good, would love to hear it clean!!!
  • tom_htom_h July 2013
    Just got a new (old) radio and was flicking around and noticed that Radio Stoke has new (old) jingles from other stations. New voiceover too.
  • langharr06langharr06 July 2013
    Has anybody got the TOTH jingle for BBC Newcastle? It's the jingle that Coventry and Warwickshire had for a number of years. Many Thanks :)
  • star+tetleystar tetley September 2013
    Just got round to listening to the 'new' Essex jingles. Certainly an improvement on the last lot. Obviously Mcasso can only get so good though!
  • simon_t123simon_t123 September 2013
    The newer Essex jingles are ok, they are an improvement ... as the managing editor is also overseeing the Mark Forrest evening show for the BBC it seems he chose to use cuts from there for news & travel, plus a decent mix of standard Mcasso ... it's not all good mind, for ever good cut there's a weak one ! some beds have slowed things right down ...
  • tom_htom_h September 2013
    Have the updates stopped now?

As far as I know the last to be updated was Stoke.
  • RWRW September 2013
    It's still very much Mcasso Mk1 in Surrey, and after more than three years of them, the jingles are sounding so drab and tired. It's frustrating knowing that there are some better, fresher jingles available, and we're still stuck with the old stuff!
  • petewilsonpetewilson September 2013
    RW said:

It's still very much Mcasso Mk1 in Surrey, and after more than three years of them, the jingles are sounding so drab and tired.

Totally agree the station sounds awful ...
    Not just the worn-out idents but a "local" station that covers two massive Home Counties..I really don't want to know whats happening in Brighton on BBC Surrey! #-O
    I made the switch to BBC Berkshire at least they've got "personalities" there and the idents are a bit more "with it" :-D
  • star+tetleystar tetley October 2013
    New jingles in Northampton today. Usual sort of thing...think news is a new version??
  • tom_htom_h October 2013
    Like a lot of the most recent updates Northampton's travel has that little sound effect before the jingle.

I know Metro Radio use a similar thing and I think brmb used to - do they have an actual purpose?
  • IainJohnstonIainJohnston October 2013
    The old "twiddly-beep" that used to "activate" the TA control on a suitably setup car radio, e.g. over-riding the Beeb station to cut-in a traffic message at higher volume, etc?

Nowadays done with non-audio-range codes, but used to be as a good as a jingle to introduce "ordinary" traffic news.

Even today, Kingdom FM in Fife still use the audio beep at the start of traffic reports, simply because people still recognise it as being for "traffic..."
  • jonnojonno October 2013

The old "twiddly-beep" that used to "activate" the TA control on a suitably setup car radio, e.g. over-riding the Beeb station to cut-in a traffic message at higher volume, etc?

Nowadays done with non-audio-range codes, but used to be as a good as a jingle to introduce "ordinary" traffic news.

Even today, Kingdom FM in Fife still use the audio beep at the start of traffic reports, simply because people still recognise it as being for "traffic..."

Didn't the "twiddly beep" DTMF tones merely signal to the RDS encoder at the TX site to toggle the TA flag on/off ( a classic case of in band signalling )? I assumed car radios only responded to the TA flag as broadcast in the RDS datastream.
  • simon_t123simon_t123 October 2013
    Essex Radio Engineering were one of the main manufacturers of "twiddly beep" tech & after an early 90's trip to BBC Engineering (Mark Saunders - RDS Boss) I was led to think that the DTMF tones played fr