Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook

Sign In Apply for Membership

In this Discussion

Skylab Radio Jingles
  • professor1036professor1036 January 2012
    The cuts are from the following packages...Magic Music 2, Magic Music 3 and Spirit of 76, which despite the age of the original packages fit in nicely with the music played on the Skylab webstream.

Needless to say I love the final result and I think a follow-up email to Jon ordering an additional cut or two might follow soon! ;)

Hope you like them!

http://www.skylabradio.com
  • BarrasBarras January 2012
    I do like them, absolutely wonderful, they just fit in with your station music perfectly...thanks for this and all the recent posts professor 1036, good of you to share your jingles...
  • ratnobratnob January 2012

These are absolutely superb. I listen to the station as I work, and the jingles sound superb on the air. Thanks for sharing some of the alternative mixouts.
  • simon_t123simon_t123 January 2012
    these are just BRILLIANT :) thanks for sharing !
  • professor1036professor1036 January 2012
    Thanks for the kind words folks...it's much appreciated!
  • LenGroatLenGroat February 2012
    ~~ N E W S flash~~

I understand there are now some TM jingles on Skylab !!
  • ratnobratnob February 2012

Coo - details, please, Professor!
  • Well there's three cuts you don't hear very often! They've turned out really well. Looking forward to hearing the TM cuts.

Just heard one: "Skylab Radio ... Greater Manchester"
    Nice, though not the same kind of chilled sound.
    I'd perhaps have chosen a 'Make it Mellow' cut (my favourite MOR package)
  • professor1036professor1036 February 2012
    Good morning!

Firstly many thanks to Sean and everyone at TM Studios for a great service. They've done a fantastic job and the turnaround was very quick to say the least.

My original conversation with Sean was in relation to another old TMCI package I loved. However I decided to order two cuts from Velvet & Great Ties...two fantastic packages from the mid/late eighties.

The reasoning...well firstly the chill/lounge/downtempo genres cover a very wide spectrum. My interpretation is that they can be relatively "uptempo" in places. Some of the recent chillout from the Balearics is bordering on the bpm of what can be defined as dance music. So I wanted a couple of jingles to suit a slightly more uptempo sound. You can talk to any Programmer and they'll tell you that the basic requirements of any station imaging is slow, mid and fast. I believe that I've now achieved that, but still keep within the style of music aired.

The music is selection is very "eclectic" and selected on a gut feeling. All the jingles follow the same rule.

To be honest...Skylab Radio is very odd! ;)

My idea about Skylab is that it doesn't define the musical genres in particular, but is a personal collection of tracks that more define a mood.

Reasoning Part 2...I have always been torn between TMCI (latterly TM Century) and JAM. Both companies have made fantastic jingles over the years and I wanted a sample of both companies.

Again...to reiterate previously, the service from Jon and Sean has been outstanding. I highly recommend both ijingles and JAM personal cuts to anyone!

It's the oddness of the station I like - the unexpectedness of what's played next, and you're right that the uptempo stuff needs a more uptempo transition cut. Have to confess that I don't know 'Velvet' and 'Great Ties', but the production quality of the cut I heard last night was very impressive, and I'm listening now ready to hear the next one.

Keep up the great work.
  • RobinBlamiresRobinBlamires February 2012
    If I remember correctly, a few cuts from Velvet appeared on Southern Sound and Ocean Sound in the early 90s, alongside US resings of their David Arnold custom.

Wonderful - thanks for the link.
    Thanks for the above posts ~ it's good to explore new areas, be open-minded, we can all keep learning. I'd never heard 'Velvet' before ~ instantly memorable, melodic jingles.

Are we to be treated to quality copies here of the new ones Prof ? :-)
  • wixy1360wixy1360 February 2012
    As probably mentioned in the past, "Velvet" even made it to Europe, sung in Italian for the Radio Capitale network.
  • DevawebDevaweb February 2012
    And the Christmas cut made it to Radio Lancashire.
    Cheers for your words folks...I'll try and post something soon!

Interesting discussion about "Velvet", Never knew there were a few resings in Europe., although I'm not surprised as it is a fantastic package...It would be nice to hear examples if these sometime. I don't recall any cuts from Great Ties sung for any station in the UK or Europe as a whole...I stand corrected though!
  • simon_t123simon_t123 February 2012
    I've been toying with one of the cuts from 'velvet' via Sean / iJingles for a while now for an easy favourites station, funds are limited @ the mo sadly but the package is just brilliant, and available professor thru Studio Dragonfly so you 'could' get the whole package & pay via instalments :)
    Hiya Simon...I've bought a couple of packages in the past via Studio Dragonfly and found it a fantastic service, especially for small stations on tight budgets.

Nowadays such is the nature of the Skylab webstream, I like to cherry pick cuts from differing packages.

So far it's five quite different cuts from five differing packages! :)
  • Devaweb said:

And the Christmas cut made it to Radio Lancashire.

Indeed it did!
    Radio Lancashire Velvet #13 by aircheckdownloads1

Very nice...cheers for that!

Hearing ALL of these cuts on the air, they all sound brilliant. This - with Classic FM, actually - has become my background listening station whilst I work.
  • BarrasBarras February 2012

Good morning!

Firstly many thanks to Sean and everyone at TM Studios for a great service. They've done a fantastic job and the turnaround was very quick to say the least.

My original conversation with Sean was in relation to another old TMCI package I loved. However I decided to order two cuts from Velvet & Great Ties...two fantastic packages from the mid/late eighties.

Loving your choice of cuts and to me these Velvet & Great Ties sings, sound like a different vocal group to the usual TM sound...
    Thanks Prof !

Sounds like a 'legal' ID first , and the second is carefully sung to give you a 'pad into end vocal' !

Useable, and WELL SUNG jingles, a good mix with the JAM cuts; great to hear the Dallas singers on TM tracks !

NOW.... Which is YOUR favourite cut of the TM/ JAM ones :-) ?
    Glad you like them Len! :)

As for favourite cut...I like all of them!
  • professor1036professor1036 January 2013
    Well it's hard to believe that Skylab Radio is a year old and to be honest...it's exceeded my wildest expectations! What started off as a small webstream has grown to quite a well listened to stream with loyal listeners from around the world!

All I can say is thanks to everyone from Jinglemad who supported Skylab Radio from the very beginning, including Dave Barras RIP.

I also would like to thank Jon Wolfert and Sean Martin for bringing my vision of Skylab Radio to life in such a creative way! The on-air identity of Skylab had been commented upon positively by listeners and supporters!

I will be posting one or two jingle montages very soon as a great way of summing up our first year webcasting! :)

Thanks again!

Paul

http://www.skylabradio.com
  • ratnobratnob January 2013

The audio isn't showing up for me: say 'not currently available'.
    Working fine here...
  • gameswizardgameswizard January 2013
    I can add that Skylab Radio is working in iTunes.
  • LenGroatLenGroat January 2013
    I think the comment by ratnob here is about the SoundCloud audio, possibly because they have a new version of SoundCloud so some old links don't work? The prof Soundcloud links do not work....
  • wixy1360wixy1360 January 2013
    Remember, Geoff is on a Mac I think?

I still have problems with playing some levels of S/c ("old" and "new") via AOL-UK's IE-based software in Windows 7, and end up "going outside" and coming back in on direct access using Firefox.
    LenGroat said:

I think the comment by ratnob here is about the SoundCloud audio, possibly because they have a new version of SoundCloud so some old links don't work? The prof Soundcloud links do not work....

Oh right.

The audio "Skylab Radio - TM Studios" (posted by Professor1036 in February 2012) has been removed from SoundCloud.

His remaining audio is here: http://soundcloud.com/professor1036

Hi guys

Like anyone on Soundcloud...I have to juggle audio around, so I've had to delete files and then upload others. Hence why the original audio is not here.

Anyway...to mark Skylab Radio's first year webcasting, I'm posting the first of several montages. This one features resings from classic TMCI packages courtesy of the good folks at TM Studios in Dallas. Thanks to Sean Martin for his assistance over the past year!

See what you think!

Skylab Radio - TM Studios by Professor10361

Like anyone on Soundcloud...I have to juggle audio around, so I've had to delete files and then upload others. Hence why the original audio is not here.

Don't forget, when one account gets "full", you can always open another :)

• jonnojonno January 2013
    i'm up to 5 accounts already >:-) the joys of having your own internet domain... unlimited email addresses ;-)
  • ratnobratnob January 2013

A wonderful collection of jingles - and I love the station. I listen all the time.
  • The Skylab jingles sound great on air and I know Paul has spent a lot of time selecting exactly the right cuts. I'll admit I was a bit dubious at first when he mentioned using some of the TM tracks from the 80's, but they actually work very well.
    Cheers for your responses...it's much appreciated!

Now as you may be aware, Skylab Radio is a very unconventional webstream, which has a great deal of contradictions. The main one as far as this forum is concerned is the use of both JAM and TM jingles as discussed further up this thread.
  • wixy1360wixy1360 January 2013
    Very classy, melodic, and "grown-up"!

Having also just taken delivery of a bit of JAM "Magic Music...", that "old" WMGK logo DOES still sound just as strong and memorable today :)
  • I've justed posted an update to my previous JAM montage. This features most of the main cuts, some alternates and our most recent cut from JAM.

Skylab Radio - JAM by Professor10361
  • LenGroatLenGroat May 2013
    I just sat and played this through THREE times.

You've managed to create a whole station style ~ with just a few carefully chosen cuts ~ and a memorable hook 'For the mind body and soul' ~ and made it fit perfectly into these cuts. Jingles as precision art.. a while visual image conjured up with perfect JAM vocals..

SUPERB.

+ thanks to you I was inspired to get one of these for SolidgoldGem.am !

Radio ~ Like It Used To Be ~ SOLID GOLD GEM.AM by Len Groat
  • Very nice selection!
  • bland75bland75 May 2013
    Beautiful jingles that work well with the station - a great selection with the usual top quailty production from JAM. Thanks for sharing them here.
  • ratnobratnob May 2013
    I love the jingles and I love the station - it's what I listen to as I work. Those jingles work a treat.
  • I also forgot to mention that I'm a subscriber to Skylab ;) We connect!
  • LenGroat said:

I just sat and played this through THREE times.

You've managed to create a whole station style ~ with just a few carefully chosen cuts ~ and a memorable hook 'For the mind body and soul' ~ and made it fit perfectly into these cuts. Jingles as precision art.. a while visual image conjured up with perfect JAM vocals..

SUPERB.

+ thanks to you I was inspired to get one of these for SolidgoldGem.am !

Thanks Len for your kind words...I've always tried to be careful with the cuts I've selected from JAM and TM. There are a few jingles I've wanted to order, but fitting the lyrics would have been a struggle and would not of sounded right.

That "Spirit of 76" cut is fantastic! :)

Very nice selection!

Thanks Sean...much appreciated!

Beautiful jingles that work well with the station - a great selection with the usual top quailty production from JAM. Thanks for sharing them here.

Thanks for your kind words...always nice to share them on JM, this site has inspired some of the jingle choices I've made...including my most recent cut from "Make it Mellow".

ratnob said:

I love the jingles and I love the station - it's what I listen to as I work. Those jingles work a treat.

Cheers Geoff...many thanks for your continued support of the station! :) I have to say that the delivery of our "Make it Mellow" cut did create a 'wow'! The folks at JAM did a fantastic job and it was 'above and beyond' the call of duty!

I also forgot to mention that I'm a subscriber to Skylab ;) We connect!

Of course Sean...can't forget that and thanks for your help with the TM material! Still sounding great on Skylab!
  • professor1036professor1036 October 2013
    Skylab Radio is now two years old...yes my little baby has grown quite considerably and the statistics have been amazing!

Thanks to everyone who listen in and also support us!

The jingles play a massive part of Skylab Radio sound and we are fortunate to call upon the services of JAM and TM Studios as well as the voice talents of Ashleigh Whitfield. They are our identity. We have evolved from our strapline "Music for the Mind, Body & Soul" in 2013, incorporating a couple of phrases to keep things fresh including "Come fly with us". To help...we ordered a cut from JAM's Made it Mellow, resung our existing "Great Ties" jingle and added an ident from one of TMCI's last packages "WRVR - The River". Thanks to Jon and Sean for their brilliant assistance this year!

The featured montage features some of our production mixing these wonderful jingles and our station voice.

Thanks for everyone from Jinglemad who has supported us over the past two years!

Skylab Radio 2013 by Professor10361
  • LenGroatLenGroat October 2013
    Congratulations on your 2 years!

A great update to an already superb sound - love the carefully selected cuts - they sound like customs they way they are lyriced. Particularly like the way the 'Come Fly with Us' has been sung/ harmonised!

As it happens :-) SolidGoldGem.am is ONE year old on 5 November - so we'll soon be unveiling some new (old!) cuts from the 'Awesome Gods & Goddesses of Harmony' from Dallas :-)

Thanks for your kind words Len and also your support over the two years. I also appreciate that you believe in what Skylab Radio is about and trying to achieve! :)

Happy Birthday to SolidGoldGem.am as well in a few days and hope it goes from strength to strength.
  • SeanMartinSeanMartin October 2013
    Ever get the impression that the world is away on holiday??!

Best wishes for your 2nd birthday, Skylab - you're one of my favorite stations :) And it's worth mentioning that friends always ask what we're listening too when they come round because it's so pleasing on the ear.
  • ratnobratnob October 2013

Thanks to everyone who listens in and also support us!

It's what Iisten to as I work - a great station with great jingles. Here's to many more years of happy flying …

GB
    Thanks to Sean and Geoff for your kind words about Skylab Radio, it means a lot to me. :)

Just as an aside whilst reflecting on this thread and its sad to see Dave Barras commenting on the early days of Skylab Radio's jingles. I hope he would continue to be impressed with the newer Skylab jingles from JAM and TM Studios. Thanks again Dave...

• mbmb October 2013
    Congratulations, keeping the stations going is always the challenge, hear the evolution of the jingles - they sound great - the quality of what both JAM and iJingles produce never fails to leave me amazed.
  • Love all the Skylab resings. I know how careful you were selecting the right cuts!
  • jonnojonno October 2013
    been tuned in yesterday and today whilst working from home.. it's been a while (I had to update the stream host URL on my wifi radio)

Love the accas particularly!
    *WARNING* seriously big anorak post coming up:

I just heard "Air" by Les Professionnels.. and the beeping tones that appear throughout that track are a sample of an old French paging system called Eurosignal which I remember picking up in the UK during lift conditions on 87.5MHz back in the 80's.

There, I warned you!
    jonno said:

*WARNING* seriously big anorak post coming up:

I just heard "Air" by Les Professionnels.. and the beeping tones that appear throughout that track are a sample of an old French paging system called Eurosignal which I remember picking up in the UK during lift conditions on 87.5MHz back in the 80's.

There, I warned you!

That is a good spot jonno...I've often listened to that track over the years and wondered where I heard that before!

Ironically a track that was playlisted during Skylab's early days on Live365 was "Boards of Canada" and "Consair". This one mix featured audio from the infamous Numbers Station known as "Counting Station".
    mb said:

Congratulations, keeping the stations going is always the challenge, hear the evolution of the jingles - they sound great - the quality of what both JAM and iJingles produce never fails to leave me amazed.

Thanks for that...its much appreciated! Keeping an internet station on-air is challenging, but when I receive some great feedback from around the world stating about how much they enjoy it...I know its definitely worth it!

jonno said:

been tuned in yesterday and today whilst working from home.. it's been a while (I had to update the stream host URL on my wifi radio)

Love the accas particularly!

Thanks Jonno...in my days as a commercial radio presenter; I wasn't overly keen on using accapellas. But hearing them on played on Skylab...it's a very good way to link from one track to another. After all these years...I finally get it! ;)
    Love all the Skylab resings. I know how careful you were selecting the right cuts!

Cheers for that Mr. B...we've spent quite a while talking (either face-to-face or via any other means) about Skylab's (and other) jingles and progression with the on-air identity. Thanks as always! :)

That is a good spot jonno...I've often listened to that track over the years and wondered where I heard that before!

Ironically a track that was playlisted during Skylab's early days on Live365 was "Boards of Canada" and "Consair". This one mix featured audio from the infamous Numbers Station known as "Counting Station".

I seem to remember a discussion on here a while back talking about the numbers stations. Might have been prompted by that track. The Conet Project published a CD set of recordings of various number stations. examples can be found here https://archive.org/details/ird059

Back to the Eurosignal pager, there is another song I heard a few years back that also used a sample as part of the track. I have no idea what it was called or who it was by though

I'll put my anorak away now ;-)
  • professor1036professor1036 November 2013
    jonno said:

I seem to remember a discussion on here a while back talking about the numbers stations. Might have been prompted by that track. The Conet Project published a CD set of recordings of various number stations. examples can be found here https://archive.org/details/ird059

Back to the Eurosignal pager, there is another song I heard a few years back that also used a sample as part of the track. I have no idea what it was called or who it was by though

I'll put my anorak away now ;-)

I think the discussion was about the "BBC's 90th Anniversary broadcast" from November last year.

http://jinglemad.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/53788#Comment_53788

Audio from "Swedish Rhapsody" was used...
  • jonnojonno November 2013
    ..and possibly before that the Alfasound jingles for BBC Radio Lincolnshire based on the Lincolnshire Poacher, also used by another famous numbers station
  • professor1036professor1036 August 2014
    Skylab Radio is fortunate to use some fantastic resings from a few legendary jingle packages. So with this in mind (and inspired by other threads on JM) I've decided to put together a montage of Skylab comparisons from both JAM and TM.

Enjoy! ;)

Embedded at home.recnet.com/soundcloud

https://soundcloud.com/radiooffair/skylab-radio-jingle-comparisons
  • LenGroatLenGroat August 2014
    I never tire of hearing those great Skylab re-sings. The TM and JAM have a unified sound and it all perfectly complements the music you play - we have it on for quiet dinners with friends.

As the montage shows we have one cut of yours for Solid Gold Gem AM - inspired completely by YOUR re-sing - so THANKS!
  • glenglen August 2014
    Love it!!
  • professor1036professor1036 August 2014
    LenGroat said:

I never tire of hearing those great Skylab re-sings. The TM and JAM have a unified sound and it all perfectly complements the music you play - we have it on for quiet dinners with friends.

As the montage shows we have one cut of yours for Solid Gold Gem AM - inspired completely by YOUR re-sing - so THANKS!

Thanks for your kind words and continued support of Skylab Radio...it's greatly appreciated Len! :)
  • professor1036professor1036 December 2015
    Before anyone's expectations are raised...Skylab Radio is not back (yet), nor have I purchased any new jingles (yet). Just thought I'd put together a brief mix of some of our listeners favourite tracks...

https://soundcloud.com/radiooffair/skylab01

Thanks for everyone's support of Skylab Radio and hope to return sometime in 2016.
  • LenGroatLenGroat December 2015
    Congratulations- what a great idea - have a Peaceful 2016 and I hope you are back soon
  • professor1036professor1036 January 2016
    Cheers Len and thank you for your continued support!
  • professor1036professor1036 December 2016
    Just to let everyone on Jinglemad know that Skylab Radio is back!

You can hear us viaTuneIn http://tun.in/seVP8, Shoutcast, direct stream links 198.245.60.88:8128/stream or http://cast5.citrus3.com:2199/tunein/skylabradio.pls. We'll be back on the iTunes Internet radio directory and via other sources as well.

Thanks to all JM'ers for their support!
  • LenGroatLenGroat December 2016
    Welcome back - a superb easy to listen to station, with a thoughtfully chosen selection of music

+ those GREAT jingles of course!
  • PKPK December 2016
    Hi Professor! Is it possible that you could please get Skylab Radio added onto Reciva so I can listen on my wifi radio thanks!
  • ratnobratnob December 2016

I can't tell you how happy I am about this. My work-rate suffered without your brilliant background soundtrack.
  • jonnojonno December 2016
    Wonderful news... been listening this evening. Welcome back!
    LenGroat said:

Welcome back - a superb easy to listen to station, with a thoughtfully chosen selection of music

+ those GREAT jingles of course!

Cheers Len and thank you for your support of Skylab Radio over the years!

PK said:

Hi Professor! Is it possible that you could please get Skylab Radio added onto Reciva so I can listen on my wifi radio thanks!

We are now available on Reciva via Radio Feeds UK & Ireland http://lsn.to/SKL

ratnob said:

I can't tell you how happy I am about this. My work-rate suffered without your brilliant background soundtrack.

Thanks for your continued support Geoff and needless to say I'm very pleased to bring Skylab Radio back! Hopefully things will develop further in 2017! :)
    Love your new JAM cuts by the way! :)

jonno said:

Wonderful news... been listening this evening. Welcome back!

Thanks jonno...great appreciated! :)

• ratnobratnob December 2016
    Yep - the station is sounding great. Those jingles just shimmer amid the tracks. I listen all the time.
  • iJinglesiJingles December 2016
    Oh what a wonderful Christmas present!
    Welcome back Skylab Radio and thank you :)
    ratnob said:

Yep - the station is sounding great. Those jingles just shimmer amid the tracks. I listen all the time.

Thanks Geoff...it was certainly nice to bring the jingles back!
    iJingles said:

Oh what a wonderful Christmas present!
    Welcome back Skylab Radio and thank you :)

...and thank you Sean for your contribution to Skylab's identity over the years. Just a shame iJingles no longer exists!

• tyty21tyty21 December 2016
    oh yes! got something to listen to while at work!
  • Thought I might share this...

A brief promo video utilising our Magic Music 2 resing and the station voices...

https://youtu.be/7npYoq5FPOI