Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook

Sign In Apply for Membership

In this Discussion

The Spirit Of Summer Wls
  • kolosskoloss April 2011
    This was brought up here a few years ago as to the origins of this WLS summer cut; without any resolve lol-- running thru an old tape from June 1977 I found a TOH that I think I faintly remember; but-- it sounds like a really good edit-- the "chicago" is obvious; but the main vocal sounds odd--? or maybe there just was a fast and a slow. Here are both. The TOH from 1977 and the fast cut from 1981 (still using it) off air.

Attached files spirit of summer 1.mp3 (386.8 KB) 
  • MarciaMarcia May 2011

This was brought up here a few years ago as to the origins of this WLS summer cut; without any resolve lol-- running thru an old tape from June 1977 I found a TOH that I think I faintly remember; but-- it sounds like a really good edit-- the "chicago" is obvious; but the main vocal sounds odd--? or maybe there just was a fast and a slow. Here are both. The TOH from 1977 and the fast cut from 1981 (still using it) off air.

I think you're right about the Legal ID being an edit. To me, it sounds like the "Chicago" part that's tacked on at the end, came from either the Windy or Modulators package from PAMS. I would love to know if the "Spirit of Summer" cuts came from PAMS or who did them.

• I think you're right about the Legal ID being an edit. To me, it sounds like the "Chicago" part that's tacked on at the end, came from either the Windy or Modulators package from PAMS. I would love to know if the "Spirit of Summer" cuts came from PAMS or who did them.

They're definitely PAMS - must have been a custom. In Ken R.'s last years of selling CDs, I often suggested items from his reference library to include on his compilations, and I don't remember seeing this on his ref list, at least not marked as "Spirit of Summer."
  • For me, this is the holy grail of radio jingles.

I first heard it on a school trip to Chicago in 1977. I'll never forget hearing this jingle and listening to jocks like John Landecker and even news reporters like Linda Marshall while riding around town on a school bus and listening to a transistor radio as I was sacking out in a sleeping bag on a gymnasium floor. I've been singing it in my head for over 30 years and have never been able to find it.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this jingle. Thanks koloss for bringing that memory to life! imagehttp://jinglemad.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />
  • ratnobratnob July 2011
    For me, this is how radio should sound.
    (No idea about the origin of the cuts, but thanks for asking!)
  • StarbrelzStarbrelz July 2011
    I've been working on cleaning up these airchecked versions of the 4 basic Spirit of Summers for several years (having the same luck everybody else has had with finding the originals.)

Attached files WLS Spirit of Summer 3-pack.mp3 (313.5 KB) 
  • patlawpatlaw November 2012
    The Spirit of Summer jingles were PAMS. Our station (WLNC) had two of them sung with our call letters. I still have them somewhere. If I had known the were going to be rare, I'd have gotten a mix with the WLS call letters when we were mixing ours. At that time, PAMS kept the WLS/WABC/WGAR call letters on the multitrack.
  • StarbrelzStarbrelz November 2012
    Would love to hear those!
  • teachercreatureteachercreature November 2012
    Please try to find'em.
  • StarbrelzStarbrelz November 2012
    I tried to see if Ken R had these back when he was doing the PAMS resings, but I don't think he responded to that question. Since it was during the waning days of PAMS, I wonder if the tracks got lost...
  • DWSharpDWSharp December 2012
    Hello Starbrelz... I have these cuts in the clear for WABC. "The spirit of summer" is replaced with "Seventy Seven". Hear them in your head? same syllables.
    They never used them of course. They were produced for a presentation.
    Bill Meeks was trying to lure Rick Sklar back to PAMS. Didnt work cuz JAM was on fire at the time, taking over the world.

Got a bad dub of the presentation from Sklar in the 80's. Meeks gave me a clean dub in 1989. He claimed these were from "series 50" which never really happened.

While at JAM I unpacked and inspected the PAMS multitrack masters when they arrived at 5454 Parkdale, there was nothing there in respect to "series 50". They must live on some other multi track master tape.

The WLS "Spirit of Summer: tracks/cuts were definetly sung at PAMS sometime in the spring of 1977. Just listen and you can hear that they could be a part of series 49. I think they should classified as series 49C of 49X. After that, anything that Meeks produced outside of the building is not going to sound anywhere close to that vocal sound. It could not be replicated unless you were inside Office Parkway's studio in 1977 using the same singers.

To edit those cuts with "series 49A" and sound that good? Screams Parkdale Drive. I will post the WABC versions when I find them.
  • DWSharpDWSharp December 2012
    To correct myself:

Wrote:
    "To edit those cuts with "series 49A" and sound that good? SCREAMS PARKDALE DRIVE. I will post the WABC versions when I find them."

Should say "SCREAMS 4141 Office Parkway"

OOPS, my bad
  • StarbrelzStarbrelz December 2012
    You da man!
  • TABrownTABrown December 2012
    Dave,
    Can't wait to hear them!
    Here's hoping something of these cuts gets posted before the end of the Mayan Calendar...
  • teachercreatureteachercreature December 2012
    Be afraid. Be very afraid.
  • wixy1360wixy1360 December 2012
    I take it no-one yet knows of any station that has ordered a mini-package
    of "Happy New Bak'Tun' # 14 !" cuts? B-)
  • kolosskoloss December 2012
    I'm glad this thread still holds interest; I'd love to hear these collected.
    I spoke to someone at WLS here and they can't find them either--though they said they may have carts (?) somewhere...
    A friend who was able to copy much of their library in the 80's didn't get them either.
    Your friend didn't happen to copy the 8 Fresh Kiss cuts, did he?
  • StarbrelzStarbrelz July 2013
    Following up on what DWSharp said about the WABC versions of the PAMS Spirit of Summer cuts... a portion of the PAMS presentation audio appears at the end of 'PAMS Mosiac 16' on JingleSamplers.com. 2 of the cuts, plus a 3rd with the front cut off. Still would like to hear these in the clear someday.
  • TABrownTABrown July 2013
    Koloss, I sent you a private message.
  • patlawpatlaw January 2015
    Here is the WLNC sing of one of the "Spirit of Summer" cuts.
    http://chirb.it/HC5qNg
  • kolosskoloss January 2015
    Well that is neat to hear since these cuts are so elusive-
    I wonder if that was a after-pams bootleg track re-sing (if you will) because that logo melody as laid on there just doesn't sound quite right. Even on the WABC cut there was a pause.
  • DWSharpDWSharp January 2015
    Wow koloss! The elusive summer cut reappears. Thanks for the audio.
    Never found that cut when looking at the PAMS Series 49 reduction master.
    Must be on another tape. The version you posted is from early 1977.
    Thanks mucho grande.
    Starbrelz will be equally if not happier than I.
    Jingle-on,
    Dave Sharp
    Actually, thank you Patlaw.
    BTW - Patlaw what was the date of the WLNC session? I grew up in Cleveland and Series 49b ruled here.
  • kolosskoloss January 2015
    Yes, Dave that was Pat above who posted the cut- in any case; as things go with jingle collecting things show up or you find them somewhere-eventually, but at this point I'm pretty sure these Pams cuts may only exist in a box on a white shelf in Dallas... ;-)
  • patlawpatlaw February 2015
    DWSharp, I was in Dallas quite a few times in the late seventies, so I don't remember the date we cut Series 49 for WLNC. I just looked at the reference reel I have for Series 49 for WGAR, and it's dated 2/21/77. There was Series 49A and Series 49B. I was in the studio when one or both were recorded. It was probably Series A as I recall the jingles being sent to either WLS, WGAR, or WABC, and the PD was not happy. That's when Series B came about. (If I'm remembering this incorrectly, please don't be shy to correct me.)

As I listen back to "The Spirit of Summer" cuts, I now don't believe they were custom sung for WLNC. Again, if my memory serves me correctly, Bwana Johnny had identified a certain sing that would work well on the cut, and he edited it. The other cut, which I didn't upload, is obviously an edit. Since PAMS did the edit, it's not a bootleg, but it's still an edit. To be honest, I didn't particularly like the cuts. He threw them in because he liked them. We used them quite a bit.

It's hard to believe that Tracy or KenR doesn't have them. I didn't pay attention to the reel that Bwana had them on. It just wasn't a big deal at the time. If only we could turn back the hands of time.

To answer your question, the session was done either in July, 1977 or within a year of that date. That's as close as I can get without some other time markers. When was 4141 Office Parkway shut down?
  • DWSharpDWSharp February 2015
    The only logical answer I can give is that PAMS mixed series 49 A/B
    to the reduction resing master. The "summer" cuts in question
    should be on the original multi track master tape. That tape
    needs to be baked or is unplayable. That tape has the universe of the "Last pax" from Mr. Meeks' 4141 Office Parkway session from 1/77
    forward. I bet Jon could answer that question.

PAMS sang demo cuts for KHJ, WFIL, WGAR and course WLS.
    2 stations were already JAM clients at this time.
    There may be some strange and cool unreleased
    tracks from that original master, we don't know.
  • StarbrelzStarbrelz February 2015
    >sigh< So much info, so little audio!! ;) Just kidding, Dave.
  • JAM+%2F+PAMSJAM / PAMS February 2015
    DWSharp said:

The "summer" cuts in question
    should be on the original multi track master tape. That tape
    needs to be baked or is unplayable.

Dave,

The original master of Series 49 is playable and was transferred to digital years ago. I have listened from one end to the other, and those summer cuts are just not there. I don't know where they are. It remains a mystery.

• TABrownTABrown February 2015
    Thanks for checking, Jon!
  • StarbrelzStarbrelz February 2015
    https://soundcloud.com/starbrelz/wls-spirit-of-summer

My best reconstructions off airchecks
  • DWSharpDWSharp February 2015
    Thanks Jon.
  • TABrownTABrown March 2015
    Thanks for sharing those reconstructions off of airchecks, Starbrelz. You always do such a fantastic job with your editing.
  • patlawpatlaw June 30
    This cut may have been what Starbrelz posted, but the link is bad.

https://soundcloud.com/starbrelz/wls-pams-sundance-thunder-the-edwards-gehron-era

Listen starting at 13:42.
  • nleibonleibo July 1
    hwy the "edwards-gehron era"? From what i understand Tommy Edwards was Production Director while John Gehron was Program Director
  • Tommy became PD in May 1973 after Mike McCormick left. He stepped down in 1974 to be on air (and Prod Director), and John came in. Tommy ordered those Pams jingles at the beginning of that montage. Fresh out of college in 73, a friend of mine and I got to talk with him in his office and he mentioned he ordered some new Pams jingles. That's why. Very nice man, by the way... spending time with a couple of geeky college kids.
  • nleibonleibo July 8
    IIRC Tommy replaced J.J. Jeffery (Mid-Days)....