Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook

Sign In Apply for Membership

In this Discussion

BBC Local Radio is changing
  • Leicester change over at midday on Tuesday??
  • Most stations now have the new package. News, sport, weather, travel more or less the same in all areas. Shame there are so few variations this time.
  • VinnahVinnah September 2017
    BBC Radio Cambridgeshire still running Mcasso MK1. Are they the only station which has had the exact same Mcasso page since introduction? They've been running it for 6 years now. I suppose they don't like rotating imaging often because Music4 stuff was still sticking around until very recently.

Also still strange things going on during Nick Risby on 3CR. Travel jingle and bed seems to be played from Suffolk but the Travel Out is 3CR's previous Mcasso package and voice overs.
  • RWRW September 2017
    Duplicated post.
  • RWRW September 2017
    Vinnah said:

BBC Radio Cambridgeshire still running Mcasso MK1. Are they the only station which has had the exact same Mcasso page since introduction? They've been running it for 6 years now.

Radio Merseyside have had the same news intro since late 2009, as have Radio Kent since May 2010, though the rest of their package was refreshed in 2014.

So overall, it's Cambridgeshire, Guernsey, Hereford & Worcester, Jersey, Kent, Merseyside, Shropshire, Stoke, Surrey and Sussex that are still airing the pre-2015 jingles, though the travel bed currently used in Sussex and Surrey sounds similar to Radio Berkshire's travel bed from the new package.
    That's interesting. I have only really just got back into listening to what BBC Local Radio are up to with their jingles. I listen to 3CR on regular basis for the programming but I grew disinterested with LR Jingle hunting once Mcasso came along. Do any of the 2015 refresh stations have wildly different news intros now or are they all basically the same?
  • RWRW September 2017
    The news intros are indeed basically all the same now - with one exception, Radio Cumbria, who for some reason have a completely different news intro that has pips running through it.
    Just had a listen to that now. That's awful. It would have been okay if it never had the pips running through it. It sounds a bit more like the original Mcasso package.
  • IanFIanF September 2017
    It's like it was in the 1970's and early 80's. Beeb local 's cherry picking from various music packages although the difference this time it's one company sadly
  • star+tetleystar tetley September 2017
    RW said:

The news intros are indeed basically all the same now - with one exception, Radio Cumbria, who for some reason have a completely different news intro that has pips running through it.

Yes they are just using one of the programme beds with added pips. Seems strange but I assume with the pips it is intended for news.

• GrahamCollinsGrahamCollins September 2017
    Agree with Vinnah - Cumbria must have one of the most lacklustre news builds on the network.... Sounds almost discordant to me.

Someone sent me this package and it even includes a bed labeled 'Church Notice Board'. Talk about dull.....
  • dw1987ukdw1987uk February 2018
    BBC Essex have a slightly amended schedule today. They were already on the new Mcasso package, but they're now using the same news build as Cumbria (but without the pips). The problem is they're also using that music for all their programmes too!

Up until now they had the same music/beds for all their programmes and a different one for the news. I suppose it gives the station an 'identity' but it's a bit samey having all programmes using the same.

Still no travel bed.
  • VinnahVinnah February 2018
    Seems as if they're going out of their way to make an already limited package sound even more limited. Interesting to note that BBC Radio Cambridgeshire had a major schedule change some months ago and still use their original Mcasso package from 2011.
  • dw1987ukdw1987uk February 2018
    Yes, I don't think I've heard any other BBC stations using the same music/beds for all their programmes as well as the news.

The one Essex is now using is also used for Eddie Nestor's drivetime on London, so people switching between Essex and London (possible in central/west Essex) during drivetime will hear almost no difference in identity.
  • star+tetleystar tetley February 2018
    I suppose the problem is that there is only one news cut so it is difficult to refresh the sound with this package. Essex have resorted to using a programme bed.
  • VinnahVinnah February 2018
    It's really strange that the BBC have gone for this. The original Mcasso whilst bland, had some variation and didn't sound too bad on some stations which used it well (BBC 3CR for example). This package is just the same old, same old no matter the station that's its on, though once again 3CR are making a good go of it.

It seems really strange that Essex & Cumbria are using the programme bed for the news, it really sounds completely out of place and extremely amateur, it's almost like somebody is running an Internet station for the first time.

There's then the opposite on the likes of BBC Berkshire which seems to be using bits & pieces all over the place, some bits of the new Mcasso package, some bits of the old Mcasso package and other bits which don't seem to be from any of the Mcasso packages, it's really strange. Then there's the others out there like BBC Cambridgeshire who are still on their completely unchanged package from day one of Mcasso.

Either they're going for a consistent sound or they're not, but it's all over the place as it is and has been so since the generic package appeared several years ago. Maybe with the changes, the BBC might revert to allowing stations to commission their own jingles as before.
  • IainJohnstonIainJohnston February 2018
    No wonder even staid old "Auntie BBC" BBC Radio Scotland went to Reelworld Europe custom instead of these dirges !

Part of the "idea" of the "in house contracted" McCasso stuff was that the BBC could "earn" royalties from the sale of
    resings or whatever of the packages to clients in other countries.

Can someone remind me - how many non-UK stations have these been "syndicated" to so far ????
  • simon_t123simon_t123 March 2018
    I think part of the idea with Mcasso was that the BBC owned all rights so that rather than royalties from resale the BBC (BBC Worldwide) actually get paid royalties every time one of it's LR stations plays a Mcasso cut ... There's an industry funding scheme that had limited success of production houses putting up free jingle production for stations whilst awaiting royalties for plays in return ...

Not sure what Essex are on dropping that all-powerful generic news build but using a weaker programme menu for a news intro doesn't seem right ...

And still, since 'call the boss' some 5/6 years back had an older listener say he couldn't hear the travel for the bed there's no use of travel beds in Essex, other than ... Eastern regional programming it produces on a Sunday ! Which seems to feature the wrong edit of the travel out stab (the up key B-B-C rather than the down key B-B-C) ... Not great :/
  • RWRW November 2018
    Radio Kent have finally changed over to the 'new' Mcasso jingle package this week. That leaves Surrey, Sussex, Cambridgeshire, Jersey, Hereford & Worcester and Merseyside who are all still using the pre-2015 jingles.
  • mbmb November 2018
    I've not met many fans of the Mcasso "2" package more of a resigned fact that it is what it is.
    Mcasso seem to be very in bed with the BBC producing the new sound identity for BBC Sounds - It sounds more like a Giraffee farting but I'm sure there was much angst over its production and sound.
    I was told the core problem is it is written by people who don't seem to understand how Beds, Ramps, Stabs are constructed and hence when cut up for practical use jar and don't work. But the commercial deal/terms is so poor with BBC Worldwide taking writing credit there is virtually no profit in writing, producing or the contunued airplay of jingles.
    Maybe with the station being "more" local in thie rapproach and "different" the single package will get dropped.
    Its sad that BBC local radio now now sounds older and more dreary than every before - with the new changes from OFCOM virtually wiping out Commercial local radio they could step up and be more general but locally focussed and get some listeners under 75 but they need to understand that thier demographic now grew up with Capital, Picadilly, Radio 1, Radio 2 etc you can be bright and modern without sounding like background funeral parlor musak!
  • IainJohnstonIainJohnston November 2018
    "but they need to understand that...you can be bright and modern without sounding like background funeral parlor musak!"

Exactly!
    And since "staid" BBC Radio Scotland avoided McCasso like the proverbial, and went to Reelworld Europe, it CAN be done
    - AND use BBC in-house musicians to do the strings and brass and do the recording of those elements just a few hundred
    yards from the BBC's front door.

What/why DO BBC in England persist with McCasso if they are people who really don't understand the "product" that they
    are supposed to be producing?

The original "financial benefit" of using McCasso appears to have evaporated a long time ago.
  • star+tetleystar tetley January 18
    Treasure Quest for 3CR/Northampton has a new sung jingle with bed.
  • IainJohnstonIainJohnston January 18
    Heard BBC Radio Cumbria last week - was like pre relaxed-needletime days with a presenter repeating the same
    words /phrases several times each long link, long phone-in competitions, and the Mcasso "jingles" purely instrumental
    and buried under insipid V/o's.

However, commercial rival CFM had a sung tag to go on the generic Bauar no-sing semi-promos that we get subjected
    to up here.

"Where have all the jingles gone...." ?
  • JasonRNFJasonRNF January 30
    BBC 3CR have finally completed their painfully slow refresh (using Mcasso 2015 and some irritating ticking travel and weather bed).
    Sounds like JVS has had his custom made (it took several months to get them perfect because up until Tuesday he was using the old voiceovers and jingles). He is a perfectionist, refused to play the new GDPR jingle (I don't blame him)

Work to replace the old jingles started in October and was painfully slow. First programme stabs and jingles, then the news and travel, finally Treasure Quest and The JVS Show. Sunday Breakfast, The Health Show, The All Request Hour (Sat Breakfast) and Three Counties Sport weekend programmes still use old voiceover branding, as well as the regional phone in jingle. What a sloppy, slow roll-out.

I've got used to the new voiceover, it's just the new voiceovers. They're dreadful (in my opinion). The female can't pronounce Roberto correctly (Roberta?!) and the male one, who is now also prominent on the news jingle, just says the station frequencies and name.

It's like he's just saying it, no real 'announcement' or real 'style', he's just speaking. What a poor choice, surely there are better voiceover artists more suited to this type of job?!

And don't get me started on the new trail voiceover. Even worse than the main voiceovers, sounds like he is pinching his nose when narrating! Rant over!
  • VinnahVinnah January 31
    When you think of what BBC Three Counties radio sounded like pre 2011 it's not even close now.

I don't get why they've messed with the travel bed, the previous one sounded better and was still part of the 2015 Mcasso pack. Surely one of the stations will go for its own jingle package before long? There are custom beds appearing here and there.

BBC Cambridgeshire are still on the original Mcasso package.
  • JasonRNFJasonRNF January 31
    I have no idea where the new travel jingle and bed comes from. Berkshire use it so do Sussex (or Surrey), it doesn't have any sonic logos. Just ticking.

Speaking of BBC Cambridge, the regional phone in jingle is voiced by the same male as the old 3CR jingles. On a Saturday Night, BBC Kent also has the same v/o on their phone in jingle. Up until recently, both were using the old packages, might have something to do with it?
  • VinnahVinnah February 4
    That Travel jingle has been around for while, in fact BBC Berkshire have used it for a very long time even with the previous Mcasso package.

BBC Cambridgeshire seem to hang on to things for ages. Richard Spendlove still had various Music4 era Jingles\Voiceovers on his show.
  • JasonRNFJasonRNF February 4
    If you listen to the 3CR/Northampton Treasure Quest (broadcast from 3CR) the news jingle for Northampton is the same as Berkshire's.

The Treasure Quest 'theme' is the Andrew Peach show 'theme', confirming my suspicions that the station sound producer who works on Berkshire most definitely works on 3CR. What a shame

A side note - BBC Berkshire doesn't seem to have a consistent news ID. Seems to be a sports reporter hurriedly promoting a football match commentary or something to that effect.
    The only consistent news jingle I've heard is the recycled 15 second job from the old network evening show.

BBC Cambridgeshire's news jingle and voiceovers really do sound bland and dull. Haven't aged well
  • star+tetleystar tetley February 19
    As well as the sung jingles for Andrew Peach and Treasure Quest, also now for WM Breakfast. Not sure where these are suddenly appearing from??
  • JustMattRadioJustMattRadio February 20
    Cambridgeshire refreshed last week, taking the 2015 imaging set. They use a rather overstretched 'strings bridge' version of the news logo with no talk up.

Most shows use the same opener music bed with the VO saying just 'BBC Radio Cambridgeshire' - the presenter then introduces themselves, talks and then finishes this off with out cue a same style short ID giving the broadcast areas.

The travel intro and bed, don't actually mention the word 'travel' or 'travel news'! Most odd!

Hereford and Worcester have delayed their refresh until they have ViLOR sorted 100%. Susses with take the 2015 branding later in 2019.

The travel news track that Berks, Sussex, Surrey use it a track from another Production Company. They are not actually meant to stray from the cooperate sound of Mcasso. They idea according to my contact is that all stations sound the same except for their voice-over artist,

The BBC in January also commissioned another set of jingles with a 'clean bandit' for the new local evening shows, these are being rolled out throughout the coming months.
  • rakrak February 21
    I quite like the Travel bed on SUSSEX/SURREY. Stands out from the Mcasso stuff.
  • JasonRNFJasonRNF February 26
    So I have an update regarding BBC 3CR's dreadful new imaging.

I have tracked the new station sound producer down, he is from BBC Berkshire as I thought. No mention of working at/for Three Counties on his overfilled LinkedIn page or his twitter account.
    The worst thing, by far, about 3CR's new imaging is the VO on the trails. Sounds corny and amateurish. Surprise, surprise, the station sound producer does his own VOs. It's also clear he hasn't actually listened to any shows from 3CR, the trails don't match up at all to the content or style of the shows they're promoting.

People have been ringing into the breakfast show lodging formal complaints about the 'new jingles', so I think the management are aware about the mess this has caused. A great station, ruined by poor imaging.

So the current situation at 3CR is we have three variants of male and female voiceover, some random travel and weather beds, and some bland, dull jingles for Treasure Quest and The JVS Show. 7 Shows still have old VOs (the decent ones), whilst all the others have had new VOs bodged in poorly. Nearly all stand in presenters still have old VOs, so when the bank holiday rolls around, it will sound even more of a disaster. Rant over (for now)!

Moving on from 3CR, onto Cambs and H&W

Cambridgeshire is okay.. news ID is a bit dragged out, travel is also a little slow, listeners will get tired of it quickly.

H&W use 2015 imaging on 'The Evening Show' and their sport commentaries, so would think new imaging is being prepared right now.

As a sidenote, BBC Radio Leeds have begun the transition from Radioman to ViLoR/Dira!, the last station to do so. The network is now fully ViLoR.
  • star+tetleystar tetley February 26
    JasonRNF said:

So I have an update regarding BBC 3CR's dreadful new imaging.

I have tracked the new station sound producer down, he is from BBC Berkshire as I thought. No mention of working at/for Three Counties on his overfilled LinkedIn page or his twitter account.
    The worst thing, by far, about 3CR's new imaging is the VO on the trails. Sounds corny and amateurish. Surprise, surprise, the station sound producer does his own VOs. It's also clear he hasn't actually listened to any shows from 3CR, the trails don't match up at all to the content or style of the shows they're promoting.

People have been ringing into the breakfast show lodging formal complaints about the 'new jingles', so I think the management are aware about the mess this has caused. A great station, ruined by poor imaging.

So the current situation at 3CR is we have three variants of male and female voiceover, some random travel and weather beds, and some bland, dull jingles for Treasure Quest and The JVS Show. 7 Shows still have old VOs (the decent ones), whilst all the others have had new VOs bodged in poorly. Nearly all stand in presenters still have old VOs, so when the bank holiday rolls around, it will sound even more of a disaster. Rant over (for now)!

Moving on from 3CR, onto Cambs and H&W

Cambridgeshire is okay.. news ID is a bit dragged out, travel is also a little slow, listeners will get tired of it quickly.

H&W use 2015 imaging on 'The Evening Show' and their sport commentaries, so would think new imaging is being prepared right now.

As a sidenote, BBC Radio Leeds have begun the transition from Radioman to ViLoR/Dira!, the last station to do so. The network is now fully ViLoR.

Where is the new Treasure Quest/JVS stuff from?
    Still investigating...

On the same note: Treasure Quest did have another jingle package that they used for just a week. It was mental - had eagles (?) screeching in the background, I'll upload it when I get a chance.

The other TQ package sounded far better than the latest one, just needed to get rid of the Eagle noises!
  • Paul+MPaul M February 26
    Hi

Wonder if anyone could help me ? Has anyone got any of either the 30' or 60' BBC Local Radio News Builds in the clear. Have been trying to get these for ages/ Your help would be very much appreciated . I believe there may be and I might be worng different ones for different stations

Thankyou very very much
    Hi

Wonder if anyone could help me ? Has anyone got any of either the 30' or 60' BBC Local Radio News Builds in the clear. Have been trying to get these for ages/ Your help would be very much appreciated . I believe there may be and I might be worng different ones for different stations

Thankyou very very much

Hi Paul,

I have both the 2015 30 second and 60 second news builds. Send me a private message if interested

And yes, there are 4 different news builds from the 2015 package. Some stations, like Kent & Cambridge, have modified versions of their own, but the majority of the network uses the same.

Jason
  • mbmb February 26
    Was listening to BBC Radio London - I don't think I've heard imaging as bad since Network FM Student radio in Leeds in 1993. Chopped up, faded out, it;s just a shambolic mess
  • star+tetleystar tetley February 26
    mb said:

Was listening to BBC Radio London - I don't think I've heard imaging as bad since Network FM Student radio in Leeds in 1993. Chopped up, faded out, it;s just a shambolic mess

Kent is a mess as well. News in chopped up and talked all over...then into travel with a trail... then news in used as a show opener. I know there is not much to work with but some stations are making a right mess of it.

Essex also use the a programme bed as a news jingle.. and a programme bed! Incredible really.

Radio Stoke (off the top of my head) have also butchered the news ID. Combining the first and second versions. Awful, awful, awful!!
    [removed]
  • JustMattRadioJustMattRadio February 27
    mb said:

London's new mixes were done by On The Sly

• JasonRNFJasonRNF February 27

mb said:

London's new mixes were done by On The Sly

https://soundcloud.com/ontheslyproduction/bbc-radio-london-imaging-package-2017-onthesly
  • mbmb February 28
    There is nothing that can make that Macasso package work well
  • GrahamCollinsGrahamCollins February 28
    I must be missing something. Surely the OnTheSly 'imaging' could have been mashed up in-house ?

Programme snippets edited together and put over a Mcasso bed with the station voice. Not particularly difficult or challenging. Any Studio Manager or Producer could have made them.

• Listening to the Eddie Nestor Drive time show on BBC Radio London (who wears a fantastic yellow shirt and tie in his presenter picture), he uses an Mcasso bed (guitar riff version), then an On The Sly bed? This appears to be the same with Vanessa Feltz on Breakfast - what's the point? Use one or the other, such a contrast, sounds amateurish (in my opinion)
  • VinnahVinnah March 8
    I can't believe how stale BBC Local Radio is sounding with these current packages. We all thought that the original Mcasso package in 2009 was bad but looking back, it was excellent compared to what they have going on now.

They have stations with a right mish mash of current, previous, different and then completely third party jingles where nothing flows together. They have travel beds being used for news, programme beds being used for travel, cut and chopped pieces used for whatever and then occasionally the odd jingle which doesn't sound like anything else.

I thought the idea long term was to turn BBC Local Radio around and make it appeal to a new audience. The first place to start will be to get rid of this absolutely awful package and let the locals do their own thing again (within reason) but no stuffy or pretentious sounding jingles.
  • Vinnah said:

I can't believe how stale BBC Local Radio is sounding with these current packages. We all thought that the original Mcasso package in 2009 was bad but looking back, it was excellent compared to what they have going on now.

They have stations with a right mish mash of current, previous, different and then completely third party jingles where nothing flows together. They have travel beds being used for news, programme beds being used for travel, cut and chopped pieces used for whatever and then occasionally the odd jingle which doesn't sound like anything else.

I thought the idea long term was to turn BBC Local Radio around and make it appeal to a new audience. The first place to start will be to get rid of this absolutely awful package and let the locals do their own thing again (within reason) but no stuffy or pretentious sounding jingles.

Quite a few stations have just brought in some new Mcasso cuts with a slightly more modern sound. Not sure if this is the new stuff mentioned earlier for the new evening shows? It suggests that Mcasso has quite a way to run yet! Saying that, maybe the 'third party cuts' give some hope that stations are being allowed to do their own thing again.
  • This is a golden opportunity for BBC Local radio to shine now that Independent Local radio has gone down the plug hole now (or about too!)
    It ain't going to sound local by sounding Corporate with these abysmal "Jingle" Packages :-(

("Jingles" = beds with stale voiceovers)
  • I've said it before ad nauseum, but BBC Local really need to study how their French counterparts
    over at France Bleu "do it" not just their excellent structured jingles and imaging track record over
    the years but their "layered" approach to local/"department"/regional/national programming.

And as a modernisation of the "Blue Network", they're aimed at a "grown ups" audience rather than
    BBC Locals mish-mash of "not young" target.
  • JasonRNFJasonRNF March 11
    I don't think the 2015 package is awful, it's just underused. Same beds, same jingles, that same female voiceover on nearly every station.

If stations want to do their own thing, it's got to sound decent. As we've heard with 3CR/Berkshire, it can be executed poorly
  • The idea with the packages is that all 39 stations DO sound the same all but for the voice talent they choose to use so as the BBC retain the publishing rights and thus receive the royalty payments. They shouldn't be using other tracks, they have over 1000 cuts to choose from.
  • dw1987ukdw1987uk March 11
    JasonRNF said:

Listening to the Eddie Nestor Drive time show on BBC Radio London (who wears a fantastic yellow shirt and tie in his presenter picture), he uses an Mcasso bed (guitar riff version), then an On The Sly bed? This appears to be the same with Vanessa Feltz on Breakfast - what's the point? Use one or the other, such a contrast, sounds amateurish (in my opinion)

BBC Essex use the guitar riff for their programmes and news.

Does anyone have the full guitar riff bed which I could download, please? Preferably the full version as used by Eddie Nestor. I have the 60-second BBC Essex news one, which I cut from iPlayer when it was played with no voiceover once. Happy to share.

Also, does anyone have a recording of the start of one of Vanessa Feltz's BBC London 9am shows after the Macasso package was introduced in Oct 2015? (She then moved to breakfast in Jan 2016.) The reason I'd like to hear it is that I'm sure the bed is a 'funkier' version of a commonly used Macasso one.

I've noticed there are lots of slightly different variations of the Macasso stuff, including the guitar riff bed mentioned above - Eddie Nestor's one lasts for a while before looping, but Essex's one is a bit softer and loops after 30 seconds or so (and the news one is looped in a different way to last exactly 60 seconds).

Thanks!
  • The bed you're after is called:

2015_MCASSO_116_BBC_LR_GOLD_DRIVE_BED_HARD_MIX.wav

• JasonRNFJasonRNF March 12

The idea with the packages is that all 39 stations DO sound the same all but for the voice talent they choose to use so as the BBC retain the publishing rights and thus receive the royalty payments. They shouldn't be using other tracks, they have over 1000 cuts to choose from.

Exactly what I was thinking, the mcasso ones don't sound that bad. Shame it's underused, some great cuts in there that never see the light of day.

Berkshire sport is an absolute disaster. A mix of Mcasso and homemade again.

As for 3CR, I've just read on Twitter that the sound producer is in Soho recording new voiceovers, indicating that more Three Counties imaging is about to be butchered!

Interesting that BBC Sussex/Surrey are still on the old package..
  • The bed you're after is called:

The full mix sounds great, there are four other mixes of that track, hard, light, classical, etc. They sound okay.

• mbmb March 13
    over 1000 and outsourcing production to agencies and still it sounds poor there is something very wrong.
    It wasn't written by people who understood Beds, ramps and stings so from the ground up it's not well designed for use. Station like 3CR must be using a minimal number of cuts meaning if there are alot they are wasted, BBC London just sounds chopped up.
  • dw1987ukdw1987uk March 13

The bed you're after is called:

The full mix sounds great

Would you be able to make it available via your Soundcloud (or other means) please? ;)
  • I've sent you a message :)
  • Paul+MPaul M March 16
    Would appreciate if someone would send me the 2015_MCASSO_116_BBC_LR_GOLD_DRIVE_BED_HARD_MIX.wav
    I would be very grateful as I am very interested in BBC LR Idents

Thankyou Very Much
  • I'll see what I can do about uploading some of the different mixes.
  • JasonRNFJasonRNF March 18
    Paul, i've got some more stuff if you would like me to email you?
  • Paul+MPaul M March 19
    Hi Matt and Jason RNF I have personal Messaged you both

• Does anybody have a copy (or even remember) the (sung) Jingle Package BBC Surrey (and Sussex!) Had before the Mcasso Stuff please?
  • rakrak March 19

Does anybody have a copy (or even remember) the (sung) Jingle Package BBC Surrey (and Sussex!) Had before the Mcasso Stuff please?

If they've had Mcasso since 2009, would it have been SCR in those days?

• JasonRNFJasonRNF March 20
    https://youtu.be/yhvu0P-JcuE

This is SCR, not sure if its what you're looking for though
  • That's even worse...Yukkk.. :-(
    No they had a Sung Package around about 2008 (I have the "BBC Surrey" travel jingle somewhere)

Pete
  • RWRW March 20
    To clarify, BBC SCR became BBC Sussex and BBC Surrey in March 2009 with a new (instrumental) jingle package, of which sung variants were introduced the following September. They then went over to Mcasso in June 2010.

I uploaded some off-air recordings of BBC Surrey jingles from the 2009-10 period here: https://youtu.be/-kfLbEw446E

Far superior to anything they've had since, it still sounds good a decade on.
  • ahhh.. There the one's...You are so right RW it is so much better than today's crap "BBC Local Radio" Idents!
    Actually I though lord haw hall said that BBC Local Radio was going to be invested in more with station free choice on budget...…(Not on Station identification I assume then?)
    They still all have to sound the same (stale and boring) :-(
  • ahhh.. There the one's...You are so right RW it is so much better than today's crap "BBC Local Radio" Idents!
    Actually I though lord haw hall said that BBC Local Radio was going to be invested in more with station free choice on budget...…(Not on Station identification I assume then?)
    They still all have to sound the same (stale and boring) :-(

Hall did say he wanted stations to be more individual again and was asked about station identification but did not commit either way.
  • JasonRNFJasonRNF April 16
    For those who don't like the Mcasso package, I'm afraid to say, it's going to be around for a while yet.

If you listen online to nearly any local station on a Saturday afternoon, a generic message plays out telling you that the station is either contractually not allowed to broadcast the football, or is experiencing a techincal fault.

It was, up until the beginning of this month, based on the older Mcasso package, but was updated to reflect the new style.

Here is the old one: https://soundcloud.com/user-984344410-212928352/bbc-local-radio-sport-commentarytechnical-fault

Here is the new one: https://soundcloud.com/user-984344410-212928352/bbc-local-radio-sport-commentarytechnical-fault-2019

If you listen carefully to the new one, the voiceover track has some horrible interference.
  • I was always disappointed that BBC Local Radio as in the English "City/County" approach
    was never applied in Scotland (never e.g. BBC Radio Edinburgh (2EH), Glasgow (5SC),
    or Aberdeen etc since the early days of the "British Broadcasting Company" back in the 1920s).

However, on hearing the dirge-like presentation and identification on BBC locals when south
    of the border, I'm relieved that Scotland-wide BBC Radio Scotland at least has some "life" to it!

A quick BBC Radio Scotland "refresher":-
    News and conversion by day; also specialist music by night (with "themed" instrumental jingles to match, just like "old ILR" did):-
    https://soundcloud.com/allthebestjingles01/ij-bbcradioscotland-news-conversation-rw-17apr2019/s-0My13
    https://soundcloud.com/allthebestjingles01/ij-bbcradioscotland-specialist-rw-17apr2019/s-z7vHv
  • JasonRNFJasonRNF April 19
    Update on BBC Berkshire

If anyone gets a chance, have a listen to BBC Radio Berkshire. News jingle seems to be consistent now (ditched the hurridly promoted football match), standard 30 second Mcasso 2015, then followed by a custom tail bed (sounds similar to the old one, which was made by Mcasso), this new one isn't.

Won't be long before the entire station is completely Mcasso free.
    Okay, i've found who Berkshire/3CR are now using

It's a company in America, they've previously made jingles for Heart in the UK
  • IanFIanF April 19
    JasonRNF said:

Update on BBC Berkshire

Won't be long before the entire station is completely Mcasso free.

Wonderful news! Time for a change. I drive for a living and I'm tired of hearing mostly the same jingles being used on BBC Radio's Derby, Nottingham, Lincolnshire, Sheffield, etc! Stephanie Hurst on Radio Leeds has some great jingles though :)

• "Okay, i've found who Berkshire/3CR are now using
    It's a company in America, they've previously made jingles for Heart in the UK"

Er, can you ..."reveal"... who this company is?
    :^0
  • While rummaging for "anything Solent", found some 1988 (?) Solent items...
    https://soundcloud.com/allthebestjingles01/bbc_radio_solent_1988/s-bU8s7

No idea who made them, but there's a "something" of the BBC Radio Jersey "The island's favourite sound"
    package of 1987/8 about them.
    Sorry Iain, it's IQ Beats. They've been around for years and years.

3CR have now added another voiceover to the five they already have. Special news ID for 'the long weekend' (where's the need?), completely separate from the travel and presenter jingles. Same as Berkshire's new jingle v/o
  • Thanks Jason, haven't heard much of the "Seattle Sound" for quite a while.

What I don't understand is, that "in theory" the BBC Locals are "supposed" to use the McCasso stuff
    "by dicktat" from BBC HQ in order to save the BBC money on playout royalties, etc etc etc by it
    all being standardised and (technically) "in-house".

So how is it that "some" Beeb locals are able to opt-out (possibly completely or near-completely?)
    and spend money they surely don't have much to spare of, on buying-in custom (?) commercial product
    from the USA (or even elsewhere?) and paying the royalties etc on them every time they play a cut?

Or am I missing something?

Thanks Jason, haven't heard much of the "Seattle Sound" for quite a while.

What I don't understand is, that "in theory" the BBC Locals are "supposed" to use the McCasso stuff
    "by dicktat" from BBC HQ in order to save the BBC money on playout royalties, etc etc etc by it
    all being standardised and (technically) "in-house".

So how is it that "some" Beeb locals are able to opt-out (possibly completely or near-completely?)
    and spend money they surely don't have much to spare of, on buying-in custom (?) commercial product
    from the USA (or even elsewhere?) and paying the royalties etc on them every time they play a cut?

Or am I missing something?

The only locals I've heard use their own stuff is WM 95.6, 3CR (with Northampton Treasure Quest) Berkshire, Sussex and Surrey. Apart from WM, they all share the same sound producer.

I suppose he hates most of the Mcasso stuff, unfortunately the things he is replacing it with are a downgrade.

The only IQ Beats jingle I like is the travel news. Everything else sounds tacky.

In terms of money, BBC locals are all using ViLoR and the evening show has been ditched so might just be affording these new USA jingles
  • "I suppose he hates most of the Mcasso stuff"

Surely the local station manager or whatever has "no right" to use anything other than what he/she
    has been told by BBC HQ?
    Wouldn't a financial auditor say that spending money on NON-authorised( by HQ) jingles is failing
    to toe the line, and the manager could be disciplined ? (remember, not the first time a program director
    or similar title has been blootered for that! Essex FM?)

"The only IQ Beats jingle I like is the travel news. Everything else sounds tacky"

Any sample audio perhaps Jason? off-air or otherwise
  • "Okay, i've found who Berkshire/3CR are now using
    It's a company in America, they've previously made jingles for Heart in the UK"

Er, can you ..."reveal"... who this company is?
    :^0

The tracks BBC Berkshire are using are from a former composer of IQ Beats who has since 2016 gone out alone.
    All BBC Local are meant to stick to using Mcasso, and I think that maybe enforced within the next few months when the next roll-out of cuts is due. By the end of 2018 all should be at least using 2015 according to my contacts.

• JasonRNFJasonRNF April 21
    BBC Hereford & Worcester are due to change very soon

I can already envisage what Sussex/Surrey is going to be like

Are BBC Radio Merseyside still on the old stuff?
  • RWRW April 23
    JasonRNF said:

Yes they are, in fact they were one of the earliest to change to it in late 2009, so have had the same jingles for nearly ten years. I think they've even been using the same news intro for all of that time.

Apart from those areas mentioned, everyone else has now changed over. I'm in one of the areas that hasn't - I can hardly wait to start hearing a 'new' jingle package that's already nearly four years old! Why is it taking so long?
  • RW said:

JasonRNF said:

Yes they are, in fact they were one of the earliest to change to it in late 2009, so have had the same jingles for nearly ten years. I think they've even been using the same news intro for all of that time.

Apart from those areas mentioned, everyone else has now changed over. I'm in one of the areas that hasn't - I can hardly wait to start hearing a 'new' jingle package that's already nearly four years old! Why is it taking so long?

It's up to each station as to when they start using the 2015 branding. Many seem to introduce when they have a change of schedule or presenters, for example, Kent changed when Ian Collins joined.

• JasonRNFJasonRNF April 24
    BBC Three Counties update;

The Roberto Perrone Drivetime Show (Drivetime) - When reading the news headlines, instead of using the travel bed, the travel out stab now heads into the old travel bed made by Mcasso. The exit stab from this is the same three note ID used to head into the headlines. It confused Rob on Monday, as this new bed accidentally played under the irritating GDPR trail.

Here's what happened, and how it's supposed to be done: https://soundcloud.com/user-984344410-212928352/roberto-perrone-error/s-aVOgb

The news ID has been re-vamped;

5 of them are minor variations of a new narration script.

https://soundcloud.com/user-984344410-212928352/sets/bbc-three-counties-radio-news

The above playlist has all five new IDs. It is also worth pointing out that the older ID first introduced in December is also still in use, including the special JVS Show 'teaser' at 9 AM.

Surely 'online' and 'BBC Sounds' are the same thing, and if someone didn't know what a smart speaker was, how on earth would they figure out the weird Russian accented voiceover was meant to represent a smart speaker? And what's with another voiceover? Already using seven different voiceovers, this takes it upto eight! Continuity has gone out the window it seems at 3CR.
  • 3CR slowly evolving into Berkshire - the rushed football news jingle now being used. Station sound is all over the place, a real embarrassment for a really decent local radio station
  • BBC Radio Merseyside launched their new package - the 2015 Mcasso - at 6am today
  • rakrak May 21

BBC Radio Merseyside launched their new package - the 2015 Mcasso - at 6am today

Stacey Harris posting on Jinglemad? We should all feel honoured!

• Hey, it only took Stacey 20 years to join the hallowed ranks of JAM Personal Cut owners!
    (and good ones too!)
    :^)
  • Welcome back Stacey !

20 years of lurking has finally resulted in a one line post.

This thread IS YOUR pet subject.

You should be here.
  • jonnojonno May 21
    This is more interesting than changes at BBC local radio. Stacey Harris posting on JingleMad, this is headline stuff :)
  • RWRW June 4
    I can only conclude that someone at BBC Sussex and BBC Surrey really doesn't like the 2015 jingles, because they changed their news jingle today...back to the one they used from 2010-14.
  • RWRW July 17
    Now I'm confused - just six weeks after they last changed their news jingle, BBC Sussex and BBC Surrey have now adopted the news intro and weather bed from the 2015 package, but everything else remains the same - the travel bed from 2017, and all the other jingles still from the original 2010 package!
  • RW said:

Now I'm confused - just six weeks after they last changed their news jingle, BBC Sussex and BBC Surrey have now adopted the news intro and weather bed from the 2015 package, but everything else remains the same - the travel bed from 2017, and all the other jingles still from the original 2010 package!

I'm sure they also have that awful Voiceover guy gradually being introduced that's also being used on BBC Berkshire (not being funny but sounds like a Black Guy from Suff London with a Speech impediment) :-)

• RW said:

I'm sure they also have that awful Voiceover guy gradually being introduced that's also being used on BBC Berkshire (not being funny but sounds like a Black Guy from Suff London with a Speech impediment) :-)

BBC Radio Berkshire, Three Counties Radio, Sussex and Surrey share the same sound producer, which would explain why v/o artists are the same

Sussex/Surrey's latest news jingle sounds a bit of a rushed job, I'm not even sure the station sound producer was involved. Why update the news (one of the most important, primary IDs) and not bother with anything else?

Saying that, Steve N Allen on Radio Kent still using an old style bed, months after new package introduction
  • BBC have opened up bids to rebrand local radio again. They want to roll out an entirely new package starting in 2020.

Here is the document https://downloads.bbc.co.uk/radio/commissioning/LocalRadioImaging-2019.pdf

I thought they were letting each station have a bit more flexibility, Berkshire is barely still on the Mcasso package, WM have a sung breakfast bed etc.
  • mbmb July 29
    Trouble is the financial model - For Many jingles/production companies it is just not viable and either makes no money - so it ties up staff and resource for a long time for little reward - The only way is if the company uses it as a showcase for further radio production work.
  • rakrak July 30
    JasonRNF said:

BBC have opened up bids to rebrand local radio again. They want to roll out an entirely new package starting in 2020.

Here is the document https://downloads.bbc.co.uk/radio/commissioning/LocalRadioImaging-2019.pdf

I thought they were letting each station have a bit more flexibility, Berkshire is barely still on the Mcasso package, WM have a sung breakfast bed etc.

Interesting document - sung jingles are OK, but the cost of singing 39 stations' names would be absorbed by the buyout nature of the package (as I read it). No-one is going to offer to resing 39 names for no more fees.

All stems to be given to the Beeb, to make their own remixes.

• "the cost of singing 39 stations' names"

I've said it ad nauseum before, but the France Bleue network never has had any problem with that !!!
  • Yes another refresh, they haven't completed the roll out of the quietly rolled out 2018 one, and some still have not to had the 2015 set. With the 2010 one they are hoping to get the package out to all stations simultaneously so that all stations have a uniformed sound, as some stations have been doing their own thing.