Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook

Sign In Apply for Membership

In this Discussion

BBC Local Radio is changing
  • petewilsonpetewilson February 2015
    You are absolutely right Simon.....Berkshire has become a bit of a mish-mash...
    But it's good to hear a few proper Jingles on certain shows including Howard Hughes JAM Cut when he sit's in for various presenters!
  • VinnahVinnah February 2015
    Don't get me wrong, I'm pleased that BBC Berkshire are doing something different, maybe this is the start of moving away from the generic branding. However I think they should either stick with Mcasso or move away completely, not have this half and half thing they seem to have going at the moment.

Maybe they're just testing the water before moving forward with a complete custom jingle package.
  • star+tetleystar tetley February 2015
    Vinnah said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm pleased that BBC Berkshire are doing something different, maybe this is the start of moving away from the generic branding. However I think they should either stick with Mcasso or move away completely, not have this half and half thing they seem to have going at the moment.

Maybe they're just testing the water before moving forward with a complete custom jingle package.

The next BBC package is to be generic.

• simon_t123simon_t123 February 2015
    "The next BBC package is to be generic."

... Bummer !!! :(
    What would work is a generic package with a choice of logo or sung pay-off's ... but that's just the jinglemad'er in me ;) if it's another generic instrumental job then I'm not totally sure how anyone can improve on Mcasso's work ? They have grown on me over the years, they do work ... not so much the weaker beds mind ! I was listening to some of the Steve England / S2Blue packages of recent years for the locals, Suffolk, Cornwall, Essex, Cumbria etc ... I think maybe S2Blue as a producer could make some credible material, their use of real 'horns' and 'strings' made those packages sound pretty good ...

What seemed to happen after the 'twinkly' standardised logo's came to air around the year 2000 was that the locals then seemed to go off in their own directions again ! Great jingles from Bespoke Music, S2Blue, the company who's name escapes for Radio's Bristol, Lincolnshire, Sussex & Surrey and even TM Studios for Radio Shropshire ... That the mid-naughties was a time of independence for the network & I kind of hoped things would go that way again, when & if the purse strings were loosened ;) But if it's down to money then surely image is EVERYTHING ? especially with the most recent set of rather poor ratings :/

This topic will stay one that I'm most interested in that's for sure !
  • IanFIanF February 2015
    "The next BBC package is to be generic."

Can't wait.....NOT!!
  • AndyWAndyW February 2015
    Your main problem there is the Mark Forrest show. They have to play generics for that to work. Those splits work differently to how most stations do it in so much as Mark plays the music bed and then dry liners are remotely fired at the stations themselves. If a split mis fires which occasionally it will do then the listeners just hear the music bed fired by Mark in Leeds rather than silence. Then there's that infamous four minute news bed that occasionally appears when a regional news reader forgets to put themselves on air. it's all designed so that 'something' goes out during that networked show.
  • mbmb February 2015
    flippant i know but silence is preferable to the Mark Forrest show - It drags down bbc local radio and is saps the will to live. I have heard countless four minutes news beds whilst traveling in the evenings.
    The networked show tried to be clever & over-engineered things ! There are a lot of issues here in Essex with levels of VO to track which would be the fault of the presenter in Leeds, sometimes you only get a dry VO, if someone is covering for Mark you might even get nothing ... If LR started to find it's own imaging way again then the evening show & the news within could just use a bespoke package for use within that show plus simplified use of splits, the ones where a dry VO plays over music mostly works well but trying to trigger off a VO to the network over a short ID is sometimes hit & miss, so give generic ID's as imaging but drop in dry's to localise over the songs as they do now ... none of the above waffle however will see sung ID's back anytime soon I fear :/
  • tom_htom_h March 2015
    BBC WM have gone back to their first mcasso package. New voiceovers too, Allison Hammond sticking with the local theme.
  • jamaicarussajamaicarussa April 2015
    I prefer the package they had until March 2015. Pete Morgan at Breakfast Jingle and Caroline Martin had good jingles.
  • tom_htom_h April 2015
    Radio Shropshire's 30th birthday today. The breakfast show was playing some of the old jingles, I imagine some of the other shows were doing so as well.
  • simon_t123simon_t123 July 2015
    Any changes / news amongst the locals ... anyone ??? :)
  • Not a lot happening recently. I'm surprised Nottingham are still using the travel jingle that sounds like scraping nails on a blackboard - I believe quite a few listeners complained about it.
  • RWRW July 2015

Any changes / news amongst the locals ... anyone ??? :)

Nothing major, but BBC Sussex and BBC Surrey changed their travel jingle again a couple of weeks ago, to something much better than the feeble-sounding one introduced a year ago.

Also they've redone the news and weather jingles, probably because last year's 'refresh' was inadvertantly done in mono and sounded dreadful. Unfortunately all their other jingles that have voiceovers are still going out in mono.
  • Schoolboy errors - feeble sums this up quite well !
    Ewwww mono !!! could that be because they split L & R via playout for Sussex & Surrey ? I did some time as Swansea Sound & in the days of carts the L & R channels of one Sonifex player were routed off for FM / AM split jingles ... I very much doubt you'd need to do that these days mind, but that kind of thing wouldn't surprise me, depends if they're still on the antique that's Radioman & how that plays out splits ...

I was thinking that nothing much had changed with the locals, Berkshire was using things other than Mcasso a short while ago, I wondered if that of been a cue for some of the locals going their own way to a degree ... There was meant to be a pitch out for new imaging from any provider in April of 2014 I believe, nothing seems to have come from that nor have many of the locals aired anything new in that time !

Here in Essex we still have a headlines intro that came in from a 2015 refresh that uses a different theme to the main news theme, all sound a bit of a mish mash, the outgoing editor axed the travel bed after one listener to a call the boss hotseat phone in claimed he couldn't hear the travel for the music behind it !!! We did get a much better & more uptempo guitar fest of an hour opener / bed this year & a general refresh but there's nothing much that inspires here in Essex ... they use their local dish out of Mcasso for all their regional programming on Sunday which does include the travel bed (the best one IMHO disco sounding) that was axed from weekday shows ... Essex also has a new managing editor so possibly she will make her mark on station sound before too long ...
  • RWRW July 2015

Ewwww mono !!! could that be because they split L & R via playout for Sussex & Surrey ?

I don't think so, I think they were just made like that in error; the new travel, weather and news they've just introduced are back to stereo, thank goodness.

Although they didn't manage to get the news jingle right when it reverted to stereo - they used a version with the 6 note logo instead of the 5 note version. Luckily this time it was corrected within a few days.
    haha what fun :) although I'd of hoped to find something new out there ! I don't think Mcasso have produced any new material for a while & the theme for the Mark Forrest show really should have been updated by now as it's a 'flagship' 'Englandwide' production ! last thing they want is for that to sound stale surely ?
  • star+tetleystar tetley September 2015
    A new schedule in Essex from Monday. Another Mcasso refresh?
  • simon_t123simon_t123 September 2015
    I would hope so ... They had a new managing editor in this year also, the schedule is being totally turned on it's head ... Essex & Lincs were the first stations to take Mcasso I believe back in the day, and the pitch for new imaging we heard about here is long forgotten ... maybe something totally new will air ! I doubt it ... but ... always hope ;)
  • mbmb September 2015
    The Mcasso commission was a set piece and executed some years ago now - They are just recycling material round the stations.
  • RWRW October 2015
    BBC London 94.9 is changing its name back to BBC Radio London on its 45th anniversary next Tuesday, which inevitably raises the possibility of a new or refreshed jingle package. Judging by a trailer I heard earlier featuring Tony Blackburn, it sounds very much like they are going with something entirely new - the music accompanying it was an orchestral theme ending with a six note jingle - nothing like any of the current Mcasso stuff...
  • star+tetleystar tetley October 2015
    May just be London allowed something different? Should have happened in the first place!
  • simon_t123simon_t123 October 2015
    Possibly that is the new Mcasso / result of last Aprils re-tendering of the locals imaging as previously mentioned ... as soon as I heard Steve's posted trailer & that snippet of audio on the back I though that has to be the new sound at least of London ...
    <<br />

RW said:

BBC London 94.9 is changing its name back to BBC Radio London on its 45th anniversary next Tuesday, which inevitably raises the possibility of a new or refreshed jingle package. Judging by a trailer I heard earlier featuring Tony Blackburn, it sounds very much like they are going with something entirely new - the music accompanying it was an orchestral theme ending with a six note jingle - nothing like any of the current Mcasso stuff...

Listening again to that trail, it sounds like a rehash of one of the current Mcasso news jingles.

So Radio London is back as a name with the logo suspected in use from the pre-launch promo ... it's actually a rather uninspiring sound, based around the 3 notes one way and the 3 notes another, quite dull really & that's a shame ...
    Oh there we go ... hot off the press, with audio ! rolling out across the network this month it implies ... from Mcasso ... there's audio for Devon in there too ...

http://radiotoday.co.uk/2015/10/new-six-note-logo-for-bbc-local-radio-stations/
  • LenGroatLenGroat October 2015
    So Mcasso who made the BBC Local Radio idents that ran in years of huge audience LOSS....

..... got the new contract!?

What a waste of the licence fee +Radio London's 4% 'reach' in Rajar is the lowest of all BBC Locals.

Any commercial station would have a HUGE clear-out and use fresh ideas....
  • mbmb October 2015
    sorry to spread doom and gloom but its bl&&%y awfyl - vanilla - lift musak BBC Local Radio imaging is truly dreadful
  • GrahamCollinsGrahamCollins October 2015
    Isn't it time to call it a day on this thread ?
  • petewilsonpetewilson October 2015
    If they've gone down the same route as BBC Radio Two (i.e. produced "In-House" to cut costs) at least get a few singers in as well.......
    The worse logo since well since ever!!
    Can someone tell me what this "new" six note logo is meant to represent because I don't get it........ :-S
  • dabstevedabsteve October 2015
    I agree with Len among others, if a company isn't getting the most out of it's advertising and PR agency they generally part company and give others the baton to deliver their needs and wishes. Bearing in mind audiences have fallen in sharply over the past six year since the corporate rebrand there needs to be new thinking.

John Myers has made clear many of the needs but was silenced around the elephant in the room i.e. managing editors with no vision, coasting staff members, journos presenting programmes (badly) Too many journalists trying to hold programmes together trying to climb the ladder to national stations without much care about the local station or the sound.

I am sure there were a range of nodding suits with little idea of branding and imaging thinking this was great... I am sure Mcasso could have pitched some twangy lift musak at them and they would have all agreed how wonderful it all was... likely those much younger than the demographic or experience of BBC local output or indeed those who never turn their dial away from radios 3 and 4.

The recent corporate centre releases suggest the BBC Local Network should draw back from making news a core component of every programme outside of breakfast and drive...

A new brief should have brought with it new sound that move away from the failures of the past six years of suffacation of BBC News and Current Affairs and BBC local editors trying to emulate BBC Local Radio 4.

Radio France and France Bleu should have been a consideration for those looking at a refresh... though they carry advertising...now that is controversial :) another decade or argument there...

Anyway back to the identification... Poor effort, missed opportunity.
    New Logo ... Beee Beee Ceeeeeeeee .... Be Be Ceeeeeeee ;)

Interesting to note no localised logo for London, or Devon as demo'd ... it remains to be seen if any other stations have localised logos this time around, I think that created a lot more work last time & they did good with that, Hereford & Worcester even has a subtle note for 'and' in their logo, the absence of a localised logo in London sniffs of a cheaper deal ... I think they could've had a vocal group lick these cuts, in the last years of independent imaging choice on the locals there were some very credible UK sings for Bristol, Lincolnshire, Surrey, Sussex, Solent, Sheffield, Berkshire ... note I omitted S2Blue's offerings which I'm not a fan of. There should of been room for stations to go sung or otherwise to suit their station sound, some of the local station sound producers serve up dire incarnations of Mcasso 'stuff' whereas some have shown flair and creativity using the punchy, upbeat cuts for their station.

The man who according to sources commissions all this for the BBC is Gerald Jackson based at Radio Lancashire, a true jingle fan & a sung jingle fan by all accounts, if his interview for the Earshot Creative review the other year is anything to go by, so it's a mystery to me why someone with influence who loves the sung sound didn't input some of that love into the brief & pitch ... the option would've been nice, and as far as I'm aware the Mcasso package first time around was revenue generating for the BBC, so would it of cost any extra ??? who knows ...
  • RWRW October 2015

I think they could've had a vocal group lick these cuts, in the last years of independent imaging choice on the locals there were some very credible UK sings for Bristol, Lincolnshire, Surrey, Sussex, Solent, Sheffield, Berkshire ...

Those sung jingles lasted all of nine months on BBC Surrey - such a waste. The only period in the station's 24 year history (under various names) that it has had sung jingles at all.

I agree that this is a missed opportunity - to go back to sung jingles would have given a lift to the station's and it would have been an interesting challenge to see how vocals could be put into a generic package - but instead it looks like we're heading for more of the same from Mcasso.
  • IainJohnstonIainJohnston October 2015
    Well at least Mccasso have "learned" to "create" (a second hand) logo that ends on an "up" note...can't beat "re-invention of the wheel..."

And the new (?) stuff sounds a bit more up-beat, and even "cheery" compared with the previous dirge-like "melody" :^)

Being "over the northern horizon" in reception range from BBC (England) Locals, can I muddy the waters by asking who (certainly NOT sounding like Mccasso...) did the TOH/news/traffic sounders/pads for BBC Radio Scotland, which have an EIGHT note logo that even "matches" the syllables of the station name.

And do the other "nation stations" (Wales, NI) use/have Mccasso material; or "something else"? (I know Wales had sung jingles years ago, in Welsh...)

Well at least Mccasso have "learned" to "create" (a second hand) logo that ends on an "up" note...can't beat "re-invention of the wheel..."

And the new (?) stuff sounds a bit more up-beat, and even "cheery" compared with the previous dirge-like "melody" :^)

Being "over the northern horizon" in reception range from BBC (England) Locals, can I muddy the waters by asking who (certainly NOT sounding like Mccasso...) did the TOH/news/traffic sounders/pads for BBC Radio Scotland, which have an EIGHT note logo that even "matches" the syllables of the station name.

And do the other "nation stations" (Wales, NI) use/have Mccasso material; or "something else"? (I know Wales had sung jingles years ago, in Welsh...)

Wise Buddah did Radio Wales.
    Well it's interesting that a 'non-jingle package' has created a fervent response on the site. And on Twitter 'radio guru' John Myers has commented:

"Millions of listeners running out the door and management launch a new sonic logo with 3 new notes? Please tell me that has not happened?"

I've written Blogs about the many problems of BBC Local Radio for 3 years. Some HAVE attempted adapting to THIS century - James Whale on Essex, Simon Bates in Cornwall/Devon, but in the main it's the PC 'gender balance brigade' pushing hastily trained females broadcasters on to breakfast shows and they move the evicted male to another role, so even MORE expense!

Until it's taken out of the hands of 'suits' / journalists it will never grow in audience size. I wonder if the BBC want it to fester as I'm certain the black hole in the BBC's finances mean they will never be able to afford to pay Pensions to the staff they have now?

They'll ignore it - but HERE is my simple solution to bring it back to JINGLES:

20 , various tempo musical cuts, 20 seconds each, with front and end sings (simple harmony - 3 singers- of ONLY "BBC Local Radio", and 10 second donut for voice-over - people clearly KNOW WHERE they LIVE so they don't need to sing it for EVERY station! It could be used minus v/o for the dj (sorry announcer') to do live material. Cuts written so front makes a set of 20, short 5 second jingles....

Shall I send the consultancy bill to BH ? :-)
  • rakrak October 2015
    LenGroat said:

20 , various tempo musical cuts, 20 seconds each, with front and end sings (simple harmony - 3 singers- of ONLY "BBC Local Radio", and 10 second donut for voice-over - people clearly KNOW WHERE they LIVE so they don't need to sing it for EVERY station! It could be used minus v/o for the dj (sorry announcer') to do live material. Cuts written so front makes a set of 20, short 5 second jingles....

Sing "BBC Local Radio"? I don't think so! The stations DO need to say who they are every 5 minutes (apparently, or RAJAR diary keepers won't know who they're listening to)

The way ahead would be to have customised versions of jingles, depending whether stations have 1, 2 3 or more syllables. EG in 2004 IQBEATS did a package for "BBC Radio 1 Syllable". Kent, Stoke and Leeds. One station chose not to use the sung versions, because they weren't happy with them. Worked well as a project, though, and IQB made a nice package that never sounded tired on air.
    LenGroat said:

Well it's interesting that a 'non-jingle package' has created a fervent response on the site. And on Twitter 'radio guru' John Myers has commented:

"Millions of listeners running out the door and management launch a new sonic logo with 3 new notes? Please tell me that has not happened?"

I've written Blogs about the many problems of BBC Local Radio for 3 years. Some HAVE attempted adapting to THIS century - James Whale on Essex, Simon Bates in Cornwall/Devon, but in the main it's the PC 'gender balance brigade' pushing hastily trained females broadcasters on to breakfast shows and they move the evicted male to another role, so even MORE expense!

Until it's taken out of the hands of 'suits' / journalists it will never grow in audience size. I wonder if the BBC want it to fester as I'm certain the black hole in the BBC's finances mean they will never be able to afford to pay Pensions to the staff they have now?

They'll ignore it - but HERE is my simple solution to bring it back to JINGLES:

Shall I send the consultancy bill to BH ? :-)

I would be very disappointed if it got to the stage of singing BBC Local Radio! If they can't afford custom packages I think it is best not to have sung jingles. At least the first Mcasso package did have the individual station logos although that would only be noticed by jingle enthusiasts.

The reason I suggested they sing ONLY "BBC Local Radio" is simple: the less listeners they have (and it IS shrinking continuously) means it is mainly 'regulars' left, who don't 'touch that dial' - so they know EXACTLY what they are listening to.

Secondly, as the BBC failed to act 3 years ago on the John Myer's Report on BBC local radio (that they paid a lot of money for) which basically said replace jouno managers with music radio experienced Programme Controllers, they clearly are not bothered about audience SIZE, so don't need to worry about Rajar!

Despite the fact they are funded by the legally enforced licence fee, they continue to ignore professional advice and any move to serve MORE of the public.
  • VinnahVinnah October 2015
    I personally think that these new Mcasso jingles are even more boring than the current ones. I know we've only heard them on BBC Radio London so far but if it's just going to be the same on all the other stations then what's the point, they should have just kept the current ones until such a time when they realise that the local stations should have their own individuality again as they had.

Richard Spendlove still uses the Cambridgeshire/Devon Music4 jingle at the start of his show. It seems that over the time of Mcasso, BBC Radio Cambridgeshire has had reappearances of its old jingle package more than any other station. Tony Gillham started using them on his Saturday show for some time.
    Wales, Cymru & Ulster as regionals were on Wise Buddah packages, I'm sure I saw Scotland demo'd somewhere ...
  • RWRW October 2015
    Radio York has the new jingles as of today; a selection has been uploaded here: https://audioboom.com/boos/3706885-bbc-radio-york-new-jingles-2015 . News intro is the same as Radio London's.

I do hope this is not going to be a long protracted roll-out like last time.
  • mbmb October 2015
    It is appropriate that as BBC local Radio continues its decline of listening it has imaging that wouldn't sound out of place in a funeral parlour - Mcasso composers of the BBC local Radio Death March
    Devon wasn't live with the new stuff at the launch of it in London, they are now though ... same news intro as London ... The Mark Forrest / Georgey Wotsit show also uses new themes based around the new logo suggesting this would have to be a fairly quick roll out to get stations in line with the sound of network programming. Essex's 29th birthday is on 05/11 so a good as time as any to refresh the branding ...
    So it looks like there is just one news jingle and the same 6 notes for everybody. Definitely a step back. Maybe more musical styles are going to be used to suit more programme types.
  • tom_htom_h November 2015
    Doesn't seem like any more stations have moved to the package. Is it still only London, Devon and York?

Perhaps they've had a rethink?
  • simon_t123simon_t123 November 2015
    They've said 100's of tracks recorded I'm sure of it ! So far listening around the stations that have the package it's the same tracks on each ! No logo customisations, not even for BBC London, there is a variation on the travel intro I believe but the bed itself seems to be the same for all so far ... The Mark Forrest show is using the new Mcasso logo for it's program theme and for travel so you'd think stations taking the network show would want to line up as soon as possible ...

BBC Radio Berkshire use a bed with the logo in their BBC Weather Watchers promo so maybe a change is imminent ? There again Berkshire seem to have been using non-Mcasso material for a while now, for travel & around the schedule, news is still Mcasso but the sound is disjointed overall as they use uptempo beds & dance tracks for their hour opener promo but still playout one of the lamest Mcasso news intros ...

My local (Essex) was ripe for change on it's 29th birthday earlier this month, or so I thought ... but major programme changes in October may well mean they don't want to change too much too soon as they re-did all the imaging with the old beds already in use by October.

Might be a while yet before we hear more stations on-board with the new package :/
  • petewilsonpetewilson November 2015
    BBC Berkshire have gone for the "new" 3-Note Logo versions..
    Which makes a lot more sense than that ridiculous 6-Note version!
    ... could almost sense that one coming Pete !!! ;)
    No hang on ... Berkshire this lunchtime was still on the 1st gen Mcasso :/
  • petewilsonpetewilson November 2015
    Definitely Not the original and best TOTH (of the bunch) that they have been using for the last couple of years though.....
    So I assumed it was a cut from the "new" Set?
    Anyone know who did the "Andrew Peach" CustomCut and instrumentals?
  • star+tetleystar tetley November 2015

Definitely Not the original and best TOTH (of the bunch) that they have been using for the last couple of years though.....
    So I assumed it was a cut from the "new" Set?
    Anyone know who did the "Andrew Peach" CustomCut and instrumentals?

No it's from the first package.

• VinnahVinnah December 2015
    It seems to be that BBC Radio Berkshire are trying their best to do their own thing. Maybe they're not a fan of these forced packages.
  • shf2013shf2013 December 2015
    Leeds has got the new stuff.
  • tom_htom_h January 2016
    Sheffield does now. Very slow roll out for something that's supposed to be the same on all stations. The mcasso blerb made it sound like they'd all be using the new package by Christmas.
  • simon_t123simon_t123 January 2016
    It's a painfully slow roll out ... maybe they planned it that way ? Problem is that when networked shows use the new logo it makes everyone else sound a bit disjointed ... Possibly there's not enough direction given from the top about these things, most locals seem to do imaging & station promotions their own way ... the new stuff is ok, it seems less customised than previous mcasso stuff, perhaps it's a cheaper deal overall, all supposition I know, I'd of thought that stations would've adopted the sound by now anyway, to date it seems that regional hubs are doing so first, others may then follow ...
  • mbmb January 2016
    It's one set rather than selections they've done away with stations having different versions in neighbouring areas and one package for everyone - all I'll say is I think it ghastly but then it fits with most BBC local radio programming
  • star+tetleystar tetley January 2016
    No chance of refreshing then if it is one lot for all.
  • simon_t123simon_t123 January 2016
    ... ah for all my moaning ;) Essex have changed today ... nothing new here mind ! I like the sound but it's more samey amongst the stations than the original mcasso lot ... just waiting for the news in to see how that compares :)
  • fredgreekfredgreek February 2016
    BBC Radio Gloucestershire has taken the new sound this morning.
  • simon_t123simon_t123 February 2016
    So far it seems all news intro's are the same theme, maybe slight variations on bed / sting placement & local voiceovers to suit ... travel is possibly the same theme but different mixes & variations in use at various stations, Essex have stayed with their no bed for travel policy which I've never been keen on ... Regional programmes originating from Essex on a Sunday feature the new imaging themes, it seems also like only one theme is in use for the entire output, unless there's only subtle differences between each theme ... a real bringing together of the network so to speak, a real loss of local variation / customisation / final throw of individuality ...
  • LenGroatLenGroat February 2016
    Followers of this BBC Local Radio thread will be intrigued to know that BBC Local radio stations will soon only play music from before 1995!

Also the presenters are being sent on 'Personality' courses - to improve their friendliness factor on air. I think that is called being a 'disc jockey'! But I've never heard of anyone making the jump in style after a short course :-(

What's the betting that not long after that..... they'll realise 'personality' dj's' dont 'fit' with the McCasso imaging?

Now - what SUNG jingles, pre-1995, would suit BBC local radio which is finally sorting itself out to survive after warnings from professionals in all sections of the UK radio industry? !?

:-)

Do I hear a management 'suit' on the phone to Dallas? :-)
  • star+tetleystar tetley February 2016
    LenGroat said:

Followers of this BBC Local Radio thread will be intrigued to know that BBC Local radio stations will soon only play music from before 1995!

Also the presenters are being sent on 'Personality' courses - to improve their friendliness factor on air. I think that is called being a 'disc jockey'! But I've never heard of anyone making the jump in style after a short course :-(

What's the betting that not long after that..... they'll realise 'personality' dj's' dont 'fit' with the McCasso imaging?

Now - what SUNG jingles, pre-1995, would suit BBC local radio which is finally sorting itself out to survive after warnings from professionals in all sections of the UK radio industry? !?

:-)

Do I hear a management 'suit' on the phone to Dallas? :-)

What is this about 1995?

• simon_t123simon_t123 February 2016
    Makes sense Len, appeal to listeners as a 'Gold' orientated station ... I was just thinking actually how many 60's 70's or 80's tracks were playing out here in Essex, and on regional shares ... it makes sense ! I called Ronnie Barbour on-air @ Essex in a phone in about local radio, save or scrap & there was banter where I said it always shocked me switching on BBC Essex to find the latest Jess Glynne song banging out ! The processing just doesn't suit that kind of high energy dance song ... With the notable absence of oldies stations on the dial now it makes perfect sense for the locals to take the 'old' route, personally I'd of liked to have seen them pursue the young route, info presented in a fresh way ... but that wouldn't work, the BBC could never be hip enough to aim it's full service locals at a younger audience, so gold makes sense ... personality training ? well there does seem to be an increase in personality presenters on the locals I listen to ... and an increase in music, even at the old core speech times ... it's interesting, maybe more high profile personality networked shows will slip in one day, with a local slant as per Mark Forrest ... who knows ! the new imaging is worse than the original Mcasso imaging, much less varied, so personality vs imaging is a key thing, we've got an afternoon presenter with tons of features, jingles every 5 minutes it seems using the SAME bed or tags for every feature, not great ...

Hmmm sung ID@s to cover all stations ... it's do-able ... I'd always imagined a voiced over ramp leading to generic wordings such as "BBC Radio Someplaceshire, with Joe Bloggs (sung) your local BBC" that's kind of as much as they're capable of doing, a massive package for all sung like the GCap One Network Music 4 project would take a lot of time & money to bring in ...
  • star+tetleystar tetley February 2016

Makes sense Len, appeal to listeners as a 'Gold' orientated station ... I was just thinking actually how many 60's 70's or 80's tracks were playing out here in Essex, and on regional shares ... it makes sense ! I called Ronnie Barbour on-air @ Essex in a phone in about local radio, save or scrap & there was banter where I said it always shocked me switching on BBC Essex to find the latest Jess Glynne song banging out ! The processing just doesn't suit that kind of high energy dance song ... With the notable absence of oldies stations on the dial now it makes perfect sense for the locals to take the 'old' route, personally I'd of liked to have seen them pursue the young route, info presented in a fresh way ... but that wouldn't work, the BBC could never be hip enough to aim it's full service locals at a younger audience, so gold makes sense ... personality training ? well there does seem to be an increase in personality presenters on the locals I listen to ... and an increase in music, even at the old core speech times ... it's interesting, maybe more high profile personality networked shows will slip in one day, with a local slant as per Mark Forrest ... who knows ! the new imaging is worse than the original Mcasso imaging, much less varied, so personality vs imaging is a key thing, we've got an afternoon presenter with tons of features, jingles every 5 minutes it seems using the SAME bed or tags for every feature, not great ...

Hmmm sung ID@s to cover all stations ... it's do-able ... I'd always imagined a voiced over ramp leading to generic wordings such as "BBC Radio Someplaceshire, with Joe Bloggs (sung) your local BBC" that's kind of as much as they're capable of doing, a massive package for all sung like the GCap One Network Music 4 project would take a lot of time & money to bring in ...

They are definitely moving towards more music with 2 hours of speech at breakfast reduced to 90 mins and drivetime speech dropped. This will make the current package seem even worse as it just doesn't fit music shows. Also the 'personality lessons'... I can believe they are happening but it is rubbish, you either have it or you don't. Unfortunately too many of the younger presenters do not and never will have it. As for the music...I believe a lot of it is too modern, what is the point of sounding the same as Heart? However not all music since 1995 has been 'bang bang'. Surely they wont just forget the last 20 years completely!

• IanFIanF February 2016
    Sounds to me like BBC Locals are going back to the 80's here. Growing up, I was listening to Radio Derby, Stoke, WM, etc, and all had music at breakfast, drivetime and wacky weekend shows. That had changed by the 90's though. BBC Locals had better jingles back then too! Maybe a lot of Sue Manning about but no uniformed logo!
  • mbmb June 2016
    Now live on BBC Three Counties - they used the new breakfast show start to update the on air sound. The station is sounding more lifeless and dull than normal. Not sure how many cuts are available but either no one wants to use them or they are thin on the ground. They make the last package sound CHR in comparison. The new breakfast show host can't pronounce his H's R's or T's every word stars with a wobblewu - you wonder if they do demo practice run shows - by the sound of this morning - not!
  • RWRW June 2016
    This is turning out to be another slow roll-out - the new jingles are still only in use on around 14 out of 40 stations. We've now had exactly six years of that three note jingle on BBC Surrey, and it's really been done to death now. Change can't come a moment too soon. What's holding everyone up?
  • The New package is on BBC Tees and BBC Newcastle.. I'm now looking for the previous BBC Newcastle TOH.
  • simon_t123simon_t123 June 2016
    Having a listen around on the stations that have recently taken the package ... there only seems to be one version of the news in used on stations so far, some however can use a post news in bed etc but there's not much variation ... travel however is something that sounds the same or similar theme on all stations but is used differently by all it seems, different arrangements of sting & bed, a light bed, full bed etc, it's sounding like stations have a travel theme to play about with ... most stations seem to be using a very limited selection of cuts, it doesn't seem to be as large a package as Mcasso infer on their website ...

BBC London used a big band style cut generically, also Tony Blackburn had a soul-ish sounding cut, London seem to have more to use ... Essex however very bland, the same theme used for programme menu and all ID's within shows although that could be down to the preference of the local imaging producer.

It's a strong sound & I'm a branding ho' so like the uniformed but subsidiary nature of the Mcasso imaging since it came ... But certainly this time around in my opinon there's less choice and less individuality than the previous Mcasso package.
  • mb said:

Now live on BBC Three Counties - they used the new breakfast show start to update the on air sound. The station is sounding more lifeless and dull than normal. Not sure how many cuts are available but either no one wants to use them or they are thin on the ground. They make the last package sound CHR in comparison. The new breakfast show host can't pronounce his H's R's or T's every word stars with a wobblewu - you wonder if they do demo practice run shows - by the sound of this morning - not!

Three counties are using the full version of the news cut. The early part is taken from one of the cuts from the first local radio package.

• star+tetleystar tetley September 2016
    Coventry and Warwickshire cuts include sung 'BBC'.

Still only heard one version of the news jingle and 3 or 4 different beds...it was supposed to be a much bigger package than that.
  • tom_htom_h September 2016
    I've heard a sung BBC on another station but can't remember which. I know Cumbria don't use the standard news bed, they use a normal program bed in the run up to the news.
  • star+tetleystar tetley September 2016
    tom_h said:

I've heard a sung BBC on another station but can't remember which. I know Cumbria don't use the standard news bed, they use a normal program bed in the run up to the news.

I think that may be a second specific news bed because it includes the pips.

• RWRW October 2016
    Looks like this is a two-year roll-out. It's almost a year since the 'new' sound debuted on Radio London, and it's now made its way round to 21 out of 40 stations. Unfortunately I live in one of the areas that is still stuck with the old stuff...
  • mbmb October 2016
    Probably because its a terrible package - The "cuts" are just edits or versions of the longer cuts - This is the problem when a company not used to making and understanding radio imaging is given the job - the beds, ramps and stings are all either feeble or pretty appalling, they lack the understanding of how these cuts are used on air or would sound with voice overs - It must be hard to make a listenable, cohesive and usable set of cuts and imaging for a station with this set. I doubt it will EVER get on all 40.
  • star+tetleystar tetley October 2016
    mb said:

Probably because its a terrible package - The "cuts" are just edits or versions of the longer cuts - This is the problem when a company not used to making and understanding radio imaging is given the job - the beds, ramps and stings are all either feeble or pretty appalling, they lack the understanding of how these cuts are used on air or would sound with voice overs - It must be hard to make a listenable, cohesive and usable set of cuts and imaging for a station with this set. I doubt it will EVER get on all 40.

It will get on all 40 stations as they have no choice!! I wasn't expecting much but it is really disappointing - makes the first package seem like jingle gold!

• VinnahVinnah October 2016
    I actually preferred the previous Mcasso package, it's actually refreshing when listening to a local station which is still using it - amazingly so. The new package is just boring & the same just about on anything that uses it, BBC 3CR have tried their best to make good use out of it but it it's bland compared with the previous Mcassso package & nowhere near the Music4 package they used to use.

Has anyone listened to Richard Spendlove recently, is he still using his Music4 jingle? Out of all of the BBC Local stations, BBC Cambridgeshire seem to be the ones who actually held on to loads of old jingles. Tony Gillham was still using more or less the full set of Music4 jingles during his show right up to when he stopped broadcasting on the station! They've also only had the one variation of the Mcasso package.
  • GrahamCollinsGrahamCollins October 2016
    Coventry and Warwickshire are using sung versions.......

Coventry and Warwickshire are using sung versions.......

See above discussion!!

Vinnah said:

I actually preferred the previous Mcasso package, it's actually refreshing when listening to a local station which is still using it - amazingly so. The new package is just boring & the same just about on anything that uses it, BBC 3CR have tried their best to make good use out of it but it it's bland compared with the previous Mcassso package & nowhere near the Music4 package they used to use.

Has anyone listened to Richard Spendlove recently, is he still using his Music4 jingle? Out of all of the BBC Local stations, BBC Cambridgeshire seem to be the ones who actually held on to loads of old jingles. Tony Gillham was still using more or less the full set of Music4 jingles during his show right up to when he stopped broadcasting on the station! They've also only had the one variation of the Mcasso package.

The Music4 jingle has finally gone...now using Mcasso first package
  • GrahamCollinsGrahamCollins October 2016
    Yes you're right Star Tetley - I was suffering word blindness. This thread is huge and I was only dipping in....

Someone today played me two versions of the BBC 'sing'. It was good to hear something different in this context. I nearly spilt my tea.
    Northampton new cuts using voice-over with Bristol accent. BBC Local Radio at its best!
  • simon_t123simon_t123 January 2017
    What's the latest with the locals as we head into 2017 ??? :)

Singing still on C&W I hear, didn't realise that was with the new package ... makes a nice change ...
  • RWRW January 2017

What's the latest with the locals as we head into 2017 ??? :)

The 'new' package has still only made its way round to just over half the network, with 18 stations, including those in my area (Surrey, Sussex, Kent), still airing the worn out old stuff. So far, it doesn't look like anyone's taken the new year as an opportunity to change over.
  • star+tetleystar tetley January 2017
    Radio Leicester 50th birthday this year and apparently there are going to be some changes but at the moment it's 'as you were'.
  • domindomin January 2017
    Looks like BBC Radio Norfolk has now started using the 'new' Mcasso package as from today...
    Which now just leave's BBC Radio Cambridgeshire as the only BBC Local Radio station here in the East region still using the original Mcasso imaging.
  • simon_t123simon_t123 February 2017
    BBC Radio Lancashire News Intro (Mcasso, Off-Air, Fairly Clean), Weather Bed, Breakfast Ident, 030217

You HAVE to surely love the BBC local radio news intro from the 2nd generation of Mcasso imaging ? Rolled out on all stations taking the package in almost the same format (some have a shelf for the pips, some use a run-on bed for the headlines) the theme is the same for all, it's so atmospheric, and in this case fairly clean as well ... Also the weather follows, and breakfast programme opener ident ...

https://soundcloud.com/flamingoodmedia/bbc-radio-lancashire-news-fairly-clean-weather-breakfast-intro-030217
  • IanFIanF February 2017
    BBC Radio Derby now have new jingles
  • RWRW March 2017
    26 stations now airing the 'new' Mcasso package, but it doesn't look like BBC Sussex and BBC Surrey will be joining them any time soon, as they've had a rather curious refresh today. The news intro is as it was but with new voiceovers, while there are new presenter IDs which seem to come from the first generation of Mcasso cuts circa 2010, with the old three note jingle. And there is a new travel jingle with car horns on it which seems to owe nothing at all to either 'new' or 'old' Mcasso, likewise a new weather bed. The overall result is a rather strange mish-mash.
  • star+tetleystar tetley March 2017
    WM have new stuff on trail for Alex Lester breakfast beginning soon.
  • SeanySeany March 2017
    BBC WM aired their new Mcasso imaging today. The news intro sounds like it belongs on Classic FM.
    Been listening on and off all day presenters and news readers are getting caught out, by them as theres 'radio for the west midlands' after the news logo..

There a few cock-ups with old news imaging being mixed in the Caroline Martin Show and Sunny and Shay... and I belive I heard a Jam jingle in Mollie Greens early show at 5am

http://www100.zippyshare.com/v/xYWE8ITX/file.html

BBC Coventry and Warwickshire are using the same imaging as WM all be Cov have'BBC' sung.
  • enerjeeenerjee March 2017
    I can't help singing the 1970s British Gas "Cook, cook, cook, cookability, that's the beauty of gaaaas" commercial every time I hear the bed. It just leads out of it.

I think the notes are very similar:
  • VinnahVinnah April 2017
    BBC Radio Cambridgeshire are still on Mcasso Mk1 exactly as they were at the start of the package. Are they the only ones who haven't changed in nearly 6 years? They were also using bits of their Music4 package until quite recently.
  • Hey all :) I don't suppose any of you happen to have any of the Mcasso BBC Local Radio packages or tracks you could share? Ideally looking for the News TOH ramp version's? Been looking for them but i can't find any copies anywhere :(

• I'm afraid you need to know someone who actually works in BBC Local Radio, and to have been a trusted friend for many years to get hold of them.....
  • I'm afraid you need to know someone who actually works in BBC Local Radio, and to have been a trusted friend for many years to get hold of them.....

Hey Graham.

Damn! Well, there goes my chances! haha :)

Thanks.
  • dw1987ukdw1987uk May 2017
    There was a problem with BBC Radio Devon's travel news the other day and they played 35 seconds of clean travel bed:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p052hw6g - about 03:40 in.

It's the new version used by most local stations including London.