Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook

Sign In Apply for Membership

In this Discussion

BBC Local Radio is changing
  • The 'Countyshire' jingle & beds in that clip sound very S2Blue to me ...

I hope not too many stations take the same cuts as the Mark Forrest show !!!
  • VinnahVinnah May 2013
    3CR Changed their jingles a couple of weeks ago. Nothing spectacular really, I'm sure I've heard the package being used elsewhere. There are also some old bits thrown in which haven't been updated yet. Interestingly enough the VO still says "On AM, FM, Online & DAB" so it seems as if the Medium Wave broadcasts are going nowhere as of yet.

I don't really listen to Local Radio anymore as it's only a shadow of it's former self but I really don't think that the package 3CR are using now is suitable, it just doesn't seem to go with the rest of the station
  • mbmb May 2013
    I'd noticed the jingles changed - they made the travel news intro shorter as it took up way too much time but it's all very generic middle of the road versions of the cuts - if anytihng a bit slower and calmer. It's like noone listened to Iain Lee and they've stuck old school style BBC local Radio sweepers on a show they don't suit.
    Wish he could use his old LBC Theme!
  • shf2013shf2013 July 2013
    can someone upload the bbc york mcasso jingle? It's really good, would love to hear it clean!!!
  • tom_htom_h July 2013
    Just got a new (old) radio and was flicking around and noticed that Radio Stoke has new (old) jingles from other stations. New voiceover too.
  • langharr06langharr06 July 2013
    Has anybody got the TOTH jingle for BBC Newcastle? It's the jingle that Coventry and Warwickshire had for a number of years. Many Thanks :)
  • star+tetleystar tetley September 2013
    Just got round to listening to the 'new' Essex jingles. Certainly an improvement on the last lot. Obviously Mcasso can only get so good though!
  • simon_t123simon_t123 September 2013
    The newer Essex jingles are ok, they are an improvement ... as the managing editor is also overseeing the Mark Forrest evening show for the BBC it seems he chose to use cuts from there for news & travel, plus a decent mix of standard Mcasso ... it's not all good mind, for ever good cut there's a weak one ! some beds have slowed things right down ...
  • tom_htom_h September 2013
    Have the updates stopped now?

As far as I know the last to be updated was Stoke.
  • RWRW September 2013
    It's still very much Mcasso Mk1 in Surrey, and after more than three years of them, the jingles are sounding so drab and tired. It's frustrating knowing that there are some better, fresher jingles available, and we're still stuck with the old stuff!
  • petewilsonpetewilson September 2013
    RW said:

It's still very much Mcasso Mk1 in Surrey, and after more than three years of them, the jingles are sounding so drab and tired.

Totally agree the station sounds awful ...
    Not just the worn-out idents but a "local" station that covers two massive Home Counties..I really don't want to know whats happening in Brighton on BBC Surrey! #-O
    I made the switch to BBC Berkshire at least they've got "personalities" there and the idents are a bit more "with it" :-D
  • star+tetleystar tetley October 2013
    New jingles in Northampton today. Usual sort of thing...think news is a new version??
  • tom_htom_h October 2013
    Like a lot of the most recent updates Northampton's travel has that little sound effect before the jingle.

I know Metro Radio use a similar thing and I think brmb used to - do they have an actual purpose?
  • IainJohnstonIainJohnston October 2013
    The old "twiddly-beep" that used to "activate" the TA control on a suitably setup car radio, e.g. over-riding the Beeb station to cut-in a traffic message at higher volume, etc?

Nowadays done with non-audio-range codes, but used to be as a good as a jingle to introduce "ordinary" traffic news.

Even today, Kingdom FM in Fife still use the audio beep at the start of traffic reports, simply because people still recognise it as being for "traffic..."
  • jonnojonno October 2013

The old "twiddly-beep" that used to "activate" the TA control on a suitably setup car radio, e.g. over-riding the Beeb station to cut-in a traffic message at higher volume, etc?

Nowadays done with non-audio-range codes, but used to be as a good as a jingle to introduce "ordinary" traffic news.

Even today, Kingdom FM in Fife still use the audio beep at the start of traffic reports, simply because people still recognise it as being for "traffic..."

Didn't the "twiddly beep" DTMF tones merely signal to the RDS encoder at the TX site to toggle the TA flag on/off ( a classic case of in band signalling )? I assumed car radios only responded to the TA flag as broadcast in the RDS datastream.
  • simon_t123simon_t123 October 2013
    Essex Radio Engineering were one of the main manufacturers of "twiddly beep" tech & after an early 90's trip to BBC Engineering (Mark Saunders - RDS Boss) I was led to think that the DTMF tones played from carts etc signaled the remote RDS gear at the TX site to raise the TA flag ... this was the case for commercial radio at the time, with BBC Local Radio a supposed inaudible tone was added to the front of stations travel jingles to raise the TA flag and/or a local mod to the MK3 desk was installed to allow button based operation, with the stations travel out jingle lowering the flag ... I think the DTMF logo sound has become something travelers associate with travel news :)
  • timbotimbo October 2013
    Well weather conditions being as they are there will be some long travel bulletins in the morning - so here is a tribute montage of a selection of some of the current Mcasso travel cuts for local BBC radio

Travel You Trust - Mcasso by Timbo_bbc
  • tom_htom_h October 2013
    Thanks for the info on the 'twiddy beep'. I thought it might be something to do with the TA flag but assumed that would be automatically done by computers now.

I know Metro Radio still use a 'twiddly beep' but that might just be because its a recognisable sound.

Capital also have their own subtle variation.
  • petewilsonpetewilson October 2013
    Thanks for the little montage timbo..... Nice to hear all the variants without the boring voiceovers! =D>
  • mbmb October 2013
    or the boring variants this imaging makes BBC Local radio sound like morning telly from 1984 - Its radio for the living dead - BBC 3CR covered the burial of a three year old dead cat last week Mr orlando Bojangles a new low in local broadcasting. My tapes of Radio Manchester from 1982 have more pace than bbc local radio today.
  • star+tetleystar tetley October 2013

New news jingle in Northampton is a shorter version of this...put together better than the Newcastle one.
  • langharr06langharr06 November 2013
    Yeah the BBC Newcastle one isn't put together very well I noticed, it seems rushed towards the end if you know what I mean.
  • tom_htom_h November 2013
    BBC Hereford & Worcester now with an updated package. Sharing the travel jingle with BBC WM, Sheffield, Coventry & Warwickshire and Northampton (all recent updates).

Got a feeling in a few years all stations will use exactly the same imaging.
  • star+tetleystar tetley November 2013
    New 'local' voiceovers on WM.
  • tom_htom_h November 2013
    BBC Radio Leeds also has a new package. Sharing the same travel jingle with Sheffield.

Northampton, H&W, C&W and WM all share a travel jingle too. Could we see neighbouring stations using completely the same packages in a few years?
    Quite a lot have now refreshed their cuts. I would assume that all of the second set of Mcasso cuts have now been used by one station or another.
  • simon_t123simon_t123 November 2013
    I think with the original Mcasso crop of cuts there was more variety in the news / travel sequences whereas with the refreshed cuts stations have less to choose from, it could be a narrowing of choice to bring everyone into line but I doubt it, that would amount to serious penny pinching by the powers that be ! I've heard a few stations pick up cuts similar to those used by the Mark Forrest show, there's more brass & real feel instrumentation in those but I suspect there's just been less made, top ups perhaps ? In some stations some of the original cuts have been used where stations have recently refreshed. It'd be good to know from a source if there's some giant Mcasso library stations can flick though or if tracks are allocated or selected first come first served ?

The imaging itself has grown on me over the years ... I like the uniform sound ...

What's the next big thing likely to be though ?
  • IainJohnstonIainJohnston November 2013
    And have these McCasso "packages" ever yet been "syndicated" to any of those "eager clients around the world" to generate welcome rights income for BBC Worldwide?
    I doubt they ever will IJ ;)
  • mbmb November 2013
    There's no top ups or additional cuts just one package that was made over time of over 1000 cuts.
    Quality aside that means that there is more than enough for each station to go through three or four refreshes every couple of years from the package available - Hence it will probably be on about 10 years with each station refreshing from the library every 2 years or so. I suspect over time the non overlapping areas approach will be dropped and you'll see the packages rotate around all the stations in various combinations - although by the end ( if not already ) there's going to be some barrel scraping.
  • OnyxPaulOnyxPaul November 2013
    Oh God, how very depressing
    mb said:

There's no top ups or additional cuts just one package that was made over time of over 1000 cuts.
    Quality aside that means that there is more than enough for each station to go through three or four refreshes every couple of years from the package available - Hence it will probably be on about 10 years with each station refreshing from the library every 2 years or so. I suspect over time the non overlapping areas approach will be dropped and you'll see the packages rotate around all the stations in various combinations - although by the end ( if not already ) there's going to be some barrel scraping.

I don't disagree that all 1000 cuts were made together but it seems that some of the cuts were not made available to stations at the beginning as some of the refreshes have used cuts that have not been heard anywhere before.

• mbmb November 2013
    Stations started using from the package before the whole set was complete
    I'm sure when I spoke to Gerald @ R.Lancs by chance last year he mentioned that there had been new material recently released, The Beatles theme was mentioned in that conversation, also the cuts based around those used by Mark Forrest had been more recently recorded, and that a BBC related orchestra had been involved in those cuts. I can't recall 100% but maybe it's been one big commission rather a package 1 & 2 etc ? Certainly the newer cuts feature more 'real' instrumentation, and are a lot more orchestral in their sound ... I was having a light hearted moan at how stale BBC Essex was sounding at the time and it was then Gerald explained the above, I think Sheffield was due some 'new' cuts around that time also :)
  • petewilsonpetewilson November 2013

And have these McCasso "packages" ever yet been "syndicated" to any of those "eager clients around the world" to generate welcome rights income for BBC Worldwide?

I'm sure some Hospital Radio Stations would love to buy these.....actually maybe not!!

:-))
  • stephenstephen December 2013
    Interview with Gerald Jackson in the new Earshot Creative Review podcast. He describes the history of LR jingles including some early work by the Radiophonic Workshop and reveals the framework of the forthcoming commissioning process for new work.
    http://earshotcreative.com/2013/12/earshot-creative-review-gerald-jackson-eloise-whitmore-and-chuck-knight/
  • star+tetleystar tetley December 2013
    Thanks Stephen. Interesting news about the new tender. Also interesting that sung jingles not ruled out.
  • simon_t123simon_t123 December 2013
    Pitch for a package with sung / non-sung versions a possibility with the stations themselves deciding they'd prefer on their patch ... a sonic logo to unify the brand with either a sung or unsung pay-off to wrap the cuts off ... it would be interesting to see which stations went for which options :)
  • IanFIanF December 2013

Pitch for a package with sung / non-sung versions a possibility with the stations themselves deciding they'd prefer on their patch ... a sonic logo to unify the brand with either a sung or unsung pay-off to wrap the cuts off ... it would be interesting to see which stations went for which options :)

Sooner the better IMHO. At least it will have a bit more variety accross the network. I'm no fan of this unified branding as it stands today. I was lucky growing up in the 80s and listening to different BBC local's back then and how different they all sounded :)
  • IainJohnstonIainJohnston December 2013
    Said it before (and I apologise for that), but if they want to "brand" BBC local radio with "musical identification" whether sung or not, but still have "local" variants of IDs that are polished, professional, lively, yet coherent at all regional, city, and departmente levels across the "system" all they have to do is look to how the State-owned French "France Bleu" network handle station imaging and identification, whether by the Costa Brothers or Juin 21 or whatever.

No need to re-invent the wheel (badly) as with the MeCanno dirges.
  • simon_t123simon_t123 December 2013
    Of course ... if Gerald & whoever decides the direction think re: Mcasso that 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' there'll be no change, some stations have only just refreshed so an extension would allow new cuts in with re-use of existing material ...

But change would be good, and would take time to implement ... Some stations were loyal to sung packages, Lancs themselves had their S2Blue until beign Mcasso'd and that's where Gerald works from so I'm sure he favoured them !

Maybe an S2Blue package for all ? as I notice with Essex & Suffolk's packages the cuts were supplied sung & instrumental with decent logo overdubs ...

It was interesting to hear the podcast state the deal was up for renewal at the end of the financial year, many of us were worried we'd have the same drivel for the next 10 years !!!

• mbmb December 2013
    The trouble with the current financial appraoch is that it is VERY difficult to make money from it and make it pay once you have paid writers, musicians and studio time / resource time. Its essentially as bst a shop window for you and lets be honest its not like you are going to make your money back on outside UK syndication so other than making a slither on production there not much money in doing it unless you strip right back. Yes it saves the BBC Money but im not sure the end product can ever be great as it is so squeezed - Hence Mcasso jingles. JAM, TM etc its not financially viable.
  • RWRW December 2013
    BBC Surrey's official launch on DAB tomorrow would seem a good time to give the station the Mcasso refresh, sadly it will no doubt still be the same old stuff we've had since June 2010...
  • star+tetleystar tetley December 2013
    Does anybody have any Christmas Mcasso?
  • rakrak January 2014
    Radio Kent airing a new package this morning. Richard Allinson no longer the station voice. Some remixed cuts. New male station voice. Anyone recognise him? Personally I preferred Allinson.
  • petewilsonpetewilson January 2014
    I hate to sound like our wonderful Coalition Government (u-turns by the dozen)...............BUT
    I've been able to listen to many of the Mcasso beds (without the naff voiceovers) and now Love them......I even put them up there with the (first) Jeff Wayne LBC Stuff for memorability!

I'm guessing like the early RIL Packages by BESPOKE there were 2 different versions done and the stations could pick which to go for??
    Personally I prefer our BBC Berkshire version (same as Leeds) and much better than what Surrey/Sussex have done with them!!
  • simon_t123simon_t123 January 2014
    I was having a listen around on the iPlayer ... Suffolk have changed to a set of cuts that don't seem to suit the time of day, the slowest, rural sounding bed at breakfast, a travel bed used for another presenters theme and so on, it's not a great selection ... BBC Essex have a bit programme change coming soon, that might be time to jiggle things about with the imaging ... but Pete, I was listening to a bit of Tony Blackburn on Berkshire & have to applaud how upbeat and fresh the imaging sounds, even the way they run the news into quite an upbeat promo and hour open sequence :)

Mcasso material does have a habit of getting on your good side in the end ! As a branding / theme project it's worked as intended, the sound is unmistakably BBC Local Radio, which might serve as a good pull-in for listeners travelling around who need the kind of information beeb locals provide ...

Some stations granted have not made best use of what's available, but when you check out the iPlayer you'll find there is just so many sub-mixes, alt-versions are different ways of staging each bed, it would really make for a cremé de la cremé of a collectors item. We've been lucky that many pieces of audio have 'appeared' so far :)
    haha..did you listen to him around 12.30 on last Friday's show Simon?
    My almost regular chat on air regarding "Name the Year" feature (not many people in Berkshire seem to get it right!) B-)
    Yes Berkshire have done a brilliant job with the branding whilst neighbouring station Surrey/Sussex (quasi-local) are most definitely the worst (and most naff imaging) %-(
  • MarkSMarkS January 2014
    Pete,

I think it’s due to be renamed ‘The Wilson and Blackburn Show’ (lol) :-))
    Remember listing to you on Radio London 94.9 some years ago, talking to Tony about your website… =D>
  • star+tetleystar tetley January 2014

haha..did you listen to him around 12.30 on last Friday's show Simon?
    My almost regular chat on air regarding "Name the Year" feature (not many people in Berkshire seem to get it right!) B-)
    Yes Berkshire have done a brilliant job with the branding whilst neighbouring station Surrey/Sussex (quasi-local) are most definitely the worst (and most naff imaging) %-(

You've come up with a good idea here Pete! Everybody have a listen round and come up with the top stations and the naff stations.
    Yeah a Mcasso BBC Local Radio Chart (Berkshire gets my top vote and Surrey/Sussex get my bottom vote but then I don't like BBC London's different imaging also!)
    Do any of the stations use the "Sung" cut (or was that just for the demo)
  • shf2013shf2013 January 2014
    Does anybody have the bbc leeds travel bed at all please? thanks. B-)
  • star+tetleystar tetley January 2014

Yeah a Mcasso BBC Local Radio Chart (Berkshire gets my top vote and Surrey/Sussex get my bottom vote but then I don't like BBC London's different imaging also!)
    Do any of the stations use the "Sung" cut (or was that just for the demo)

No I'm sure that was just on the demo.
  • simon_t123simon_t123 January 2014
    Ahh Pete no I missed that :( sounds like you guys have some wireless-history mind !!! He's a great listen I have to say, he does a great job on beeb local stations, rumor has it that his name has turned up in a recent voice-over session for my local BBC ... that'd be excellent :)

I always like to have a flick around the locals when I'm travelling & can only agree with you totally about Sussex/Surrey's current use of Mcasso ... Somerset was another that has a modern style overall with a decent pick of Mcasso in use, similar good listens are dotted around the country, BBC London's semi-customised take on the package is 'ok' :)
  • RWRW January 2014
    I think perhaps what limits things a bit as far as Surrey and Sussex are concerned is the requirement to split most of the jingles between the two counties, which explains, for example, why the travel intro is the way it is, and why during joint programming there is simply a 15 second jingle into the news rather than anything more elaborate. However this still doesn't excuse the fact that a refresh is desperately needed, none of the updated Mcasso material has made it over this way yet.
  • star+tetleystar tetley February 2014
    Refreshed package in Leicester.
  • VinnahVinnah March 2014
    Tony Gillham has been using the Music4 jingles on and off for a while:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01sdndc

I'm not sure if it's intentional (It probably is knowing the way Tony Gillham does his shows) or if it's a technical thing.

Sometimes it's Mcasso and other times it's Music4. I still think that the Music4 jingles on BBC Cambridgeshire sound far more appropriate than Mcasso.
  • IainJohnstonIainJohnston March 2014
    Strange this? The "principle" of the use of the generic material as produced by McCasso was supposedly to save the BBC money by paying the airplay royalties basically to themselves (and create a consistant sound "of course").

But if Pre-McCasso custom/syndicated stuff is still being used here & there in parallel with McCasso- surely they're paying out money that they're not supposed to be? And defeating the whole object?
  • tom_htom_h March 2014
    I'm surprised that that is allowed although I doubt many BBC managers work on a weekend when that show is put out.

I posted a clip of a similar thing happening on the Sunday afternoon BBC in the Midlands network show with a music 4 travel bed being used and a mcasso news bed.

I would have assumed following the mcasso takeover, all 'old' jingles would have been removed from the systems?

Speaking of which - what do BBC Berkshire use? A lot of their beds sound like they're not mcasso and I've noticed that a lot of BBC Local trails are made using instrumental versions of songs - which can't be royalty free?
  • petewilsonpetewilson March 2014
    BBC Berkshire is definitely all Mcasso..apart from a couple of edited S2Blue PAMS Cuts that Tony Blackburn throws in during his show!
    As I've said before they seem to utilize the Mcasso material better than any of the others

• IainJohnstonIainJohnston March 2014
    "although I doubt many BBC managers work on a weekend when that show is put out"

In that case...what about the ACCOUNTANTS, auditors, and other financial staff that must therefore not be noticing the ongoing royalty payments being logged up and paid out to Music4 or whatever? "Heads will roll" if it had been anywhere else...or are they playing "old stuff" and not paying for it... >:)
  • tom_htom_h March 2014

"although I doubt many BBC managers work on a weekend when that show is put out"

In that case...what about the ACCOUNTANTS, auditors, and other financial staff that must therefore not be noticing the ongoing royalty payments being logged up and paid out to Music4 or whatever? "Heads will roll" if it had been anywhere else...or are they playing "old stuff" and not paying for it... >:)

Does raise the question of how many of the management actually listen to the output. I'm sure if they were paying royalties, it would have been noticed and removed by now. Unless they're happy to do so?
  • star+tetleystar tetley March 2014
    In my region there is still Music4 on Tony Gillham and Richard Spendlove & Bespoke in Northampton.
  • tom_htom_h May 2014
    Whilst some people are happy to see this thread die... I thought I'd bring it back to life.

BBC Radio York have refreshed their package but also now use a 'local (from what I know its actually an actor)' voiceover. BBC Radio Leeds started doing this a few months ago with a more convincing effort and BBC WM 95.6 started the trend earlier this year.

Has this local voice over style been used on BBC Locals before? I think Leeds had applied it the best and to be honest, WM's voiceovers don't sound local enough and that's coming from somebody born and raised in the Midlands.
  • It is Christopher Timothy.
  • It is Christopher Timothy.

Yeah they couldn't afford Jasper Carrott! :-))
  • Christopher Timothy.

Voice of BBC WM (or BBC Radio York, I'm confused).

Whilst he played legendary Yorkshireman James Herriot in All Creatures Great and Small and is undoubtedly a good actor, there's no substitute for a genuine local voice.

He's Welsh.
  • tom_htom_h May 2014
    He's the voice of BBC Radio York.

BBC WM actually used local people.
  • simon_t123simon_t123 June 2014
    According to one of the 'Earshot Creative Review' podcasts the subject of Beeb local radio imaging was up for contract renewal in April 2014 ... wonder if anything's moving along there ? It's good that some stations refresh their offerings more than once a millenium ;) but there are some that just leave the station sound to slip into stale-dom !

My local here in Essex seems to turn to anyone to voice to voice top up presenter names since the main package was produced, it sounds strange on-air (maybe only to an anorak like me !) but the voices tagging the new presenters names are not as professional as the main station voices, I'd question if they were VO's at all, it kind of devalues the new peeps as they don't sound a part of the overall station sound ...
  • tom_htom_h June 2014
    I still think mcasso sounds decent on some stations who use it properly, such as Three Counties and really poor on some stations who don't care.
  • GBGB June 2014
    BBC Sussex & BBC Surrey has been nicely refreshed today! :)
  • The title of this thread should be changed - BBC local radio is not changing at all. They are all stuck with Mcasso!
  • RWRW July 2014
    GB said:

BBC Sussex & BBC Surrey has been nicely refreshed today! :)

And about time, more than four years after the original Mcasso package was introduced here! Haven't heard much of it so far, however the news intro is okay but travel is just as bland as before.
  • IanFIanF July 2014
    The title of this thread should be changed - BBC local radio is not changing at all. They are all stuck with Mcasso!

:-)) That made me laugh lol
  • petewilsonpetewilson July 2014
    RW said:

the news intro is okay but travel is just as bland as before.

Totally agree RW...The Travel sounds badly edited to me.....Still not a patch on Berkshire's version though! ;-)
  • simon_t123simon_t123 July 2014
    With Tony Fisher's arrival on BBC Essex today (from H&W) there's refreshed & even decent Mcasso imaging for his show featuring a new MVO, I'm yet to work out if the rest of the station will follow ... The cuts used by Tony feature the "BBC Essex" logo with the usual Mcasso end logo which is unusual for the station, they've been pretty dull for a while now :/
  • tom_htom_h July 2014
    BBC Essex has a 'newish' package compared to some stations though having had a refresh last year?

Interesting to note that his page on the website is still under BBC Hereford & Worcester..

A lot of BBC Local imaging is sounding stale now. It sounds old very fast especially when cuts aren't used correctly.
  • simon_t123simon_t123 July 2014
    I think where the Essex 'boss' was in charge of rolling out the Mark Forrest show the other year he opted to take the updated news & travel beds from there with Essex logo, they're ok but in reply to a listener request they axed the travel bed after a short while which sounds awful (the background noise at Inrix is more offputting than the bed !) and also the 2nd package at Essex featured very medium/slow themes, it dropped the pace of the station when what it really needed was whipping up a bit as a whole ...

The stuff they've used for Tony Fisher is the exact opposite, modern, slightly beaty and with the Essex logo which is nice, he's got beds & ID's he used throughout the show, so he may be one of those who know what jingles are all about ;)

The MVO used is interesting, I wonder if that's one they'll use more ... I did wonder if he's just brought his BBC H&W cuts along with him for a moment ;) the logo is quite similar ... It was a good show also so I can only hope that there'll be more freshening up.

That said as was reported in the Earshot Creative Review the locals imaging contract with Mcasso was up in April & they may have chosen to look for something new ... I hope so !!!
  • It is Jim Davis from Radio Leicester.
  • tom_htom_h July 2014
    Just heard the BBC Sussex & Surrey package. It's really poorly put together and used.

Who decides at each station what cuts will be used and how they will be used?
  • simon_t123simon_t123 August 2014
    Each beeb locals station sound producer for a guess, with input from the head of programmes, I don't think the cuts were dished out centrally ...
  • petewilsonpetewilson August 2014
    They need to get a "new" Station Sound Producer at BBC Sussex and Surrey then! :-))
  • simon_t123simon_t123 August 2014
    haha agreed ;) and Essex ... and several other stations !
  • star+tetleystar tetley August 2014
    I think most stations do as well as they can with the cuts available. Some seem to make bit of a mess of it though - Cornwall and Sussex come to mind.
  • tom_htom_h August 2014
    What stations use the cuts the best then? (he says trying to be positive).

The Yorkshire stations do well (Sheffield, York & Leeds). The Midlands aren't too bad either with WM, C&W and H&W using the cuts well too.
  • petewilsonpetewilson August 2014
    tom_h said:

What stations use the cuts the best then? (he says trying to be positive).

BBC Berkshire use them well..Take a listen to the Top Of The Hour (especially Mr Blackburn Fridays 10-1)

• tom_htom_h August 2014
    I've listened to some of BBC Berkshire on the iPlayer. The show beds (the ones that the presenters use at the start of the hour) don't even sound like mcasso. Are they? I've not heard them on any other stations.

The station sound is far too busy with far too much going on. For example its travel, news, travel, weather, show introduction, trail, jingle and finally a song around the top of the hour.

Not keen on their use of mcasso to be honest. The only part I like is the travel bed.
  • simon_t123simon_t123 January 2015
    Essex have had a minor refresh as of Jan 2015 ... Some of the more upbeat, newer wave Mcasso beds in use there now and it had picked up the pace of the station ... Still no travel bed, just a sting in and an ID out, I remember listening to "Call The Boss" on the mid morning show last year I think it was where an elderly chap called the BBC Essex managing editor on the show and asked why there had to be this music under the travel news as he couldn't hear what was being said ... the bossman vowed to remove it & so he did ! a travel bed has not made a return since ...

With a refresh here in Essex & various other areas it doesn't seem like any larger change in imaging direction is coming anytime soon ... Oh for a return to sung imaging ;)
  • tom_htom_h January 2015
    The travel news on Essex sounds really odd without a bed. Shame because the rest of the station imaging sounds decent.

Wasn't there a pitch for BBC Local Radio imagining recently?
  • simon_t123simon_t123 January 2015
    Agree re: the travel being bed-less ... the travel provider (INRIX) have quite a lot of background noise and there's just something I don't like about dry reads ... all at the suggestion of one listener that didn't like a bed under his travel !

The pitch for LR imaging was suggested in a podcast to have been due last April ...
  • AndyWAndyW January 2015
    Funny how one slip can mark the station forever. Radio Shropshire's original jingles call it Shropshire Radio. Many listeners still call it that today. I never got the 96FM business as it was also on 95FM and two further Medium Wave frequencies.
  • tom_htom_h January 2015
    A lot of people still call BBC WM 95.6 'Radio WM', guess people just stick with what they know.

Took a while for people to stop referring to Free Radio, as brmb or beacon.
  • shf2013shf2013 February 2015
    radio Berkshire seems to be using completley new jingles today, mainly the travel ones!
  • LenGroatLenGroat February 2015
    I thought it might be interesting for those who follow these BBC Local Radio voice idents to hear what BBC Shropshire sounded like back in 1989 when it had SUNG jingles.

Thanks to the Radio Today Newsletter I've come across this aircheck with (rather superb) TM jingles - it's 1989 and the presenter is Graham Hughes.

http://www.aircheckdownloads.com/RadioShropshire_GrahamHughes_20Mar89.mp3
  • petewilsonpetewilson February 2015
    shf2013 said:

radio Berkshire seems to be using completley new jingles today, mainly the travel ones!

I haven't even noticed today... :-S
    But Andrew Peach has had a new "Sung" Jingle for the last week or so now!
  • tom_htom_h February 2015
    LenGroat said:

I thought it might be interesting for those who follow these BBC Local Radio voice idents to hear what BBC Shropshire sounded like back in 1989 when it had SUNG jingles.

Thanks to the Radio Today Newsletter I've come across this aircheck with (rather superb) TM jingles - it's 1989 and the presenter is Graham Hughes.

I admit. I loved Shropshire's last package before it moved to Mcasso.

Berkshire sounds rubbish, With BBC Local Radio apparently dying (if you look at the Rajar figures) maybe a return to sung jingles (and better content!) might be on the cards?

• star+tetleystar tetley February 2015
    tom_h said:

LenGroat said:

Berkshire sounds rubbish, With BBC Local Radio apparently dying (if you look at the Rajar figures) maybe a return to sung jingles (and better content!) might be on the cards?

tom_h said:

LenGroat said:

It is going to be another generic package so unless they sing 'BBC Local Radio' this seems unlikely.
  • VinnahVinnah February 2015
    I quite like the new Berkshire travel jingle. Though it's odd because it's like something custom made then the Mcasso Logo.
  • simon_t123simon_t123 February 2015
    hmmm things are not sounding so good @ BBC Berkshire now :/ a very short time ago they had the best use of Mcasso imaging that I've heard on any of the locals, but now it's a patchwork quilt of a first generation news intro, not one of the stronger ones at that, some sung but not identified jingles at breakfast and a travel bed that doesn't seem to be Mcasso at all & is not as good as what it replaced ... yet with those changes they've kept the same promos & sequence for their top of hour, creative but cluttered ... I hope this is a year where something new, different & consistent comes to the network, here in Essex we've now got newer Mcasso themes & id's but last years news intro with a headlines intro that doesn't match from a totally different theme, there's some sloppy errors in voice over cut & pasting & some poor digital fading on items of imaging where the audio fades too bluntly & abruptly ... it sounds like a half done job !