Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook

Sign In Apply for Membership

In this Discussion

BBC Local Radio is changing
  • simon_t123simon_t123 November 2012
    @wixy1360 & @tom_h it's tough to tell what may have happened on the above occasion but it certainly tends to happen when local presenters cover network shows they are not familiar with or they go to present the show at another stations studios ... Even Radio 2 was not immune, Nikki Chapman covered the early hours around the time just after the new WB cuts came in, yet for a couple of shifts her presenter ID was of the Groove variety, quickly replaced AFTER several shows !

Similar things can be heard in the East where Richard Spendlove was reportedly using Music4 material until recently (maybe still is) I've heard special shows over Xmas use older ID's even stations local ID's on the network, so it seems more a thing that can happen when everyone's in a tizz lols ...

Mollie Green, is she at WM these days or C&W ? that may account for the problems in the Midlands, she may have presented this networked show from WM even if they were not taking the show, the stations are not that far away from each other & with all these colourful buttons to play from on the radioman cart wall mistakes can be made, it may be down to logins for example, I've seen a case where on another playout system you might have not logged in for ages yet the old audio (which someone fails to delete from the servers) is still linked to buttons or playlists under your login for all eternity ...

I note the presenter ID after the news was for someone else also (the absent presenter for a guess) that ID was most probably contained within the play-log, I often wonder when I hear cover presenters use the absent presenters cuts whether they were just too lazy to swap items on the play log, or were not technically minded enough to do that or maybe just had no id's of their own to play (again usually in the case of networked shows)

If this cut above was played by accident then the royalty should still be played surely ? It was played & used in full, do you know @tom_h if she played it out more than once ? These things normally create a 'lightbulb' moment ... eventually and get rectified !
  • timbotimbo November 2012

If this cut above was played by accident then the royalty should still be played surely ? It was played & used in full, do you know @tom_h if she played it out more than once ? These things normally create a 'lightbulb' moment ... eventually and get rectified !

Any station jingles added to Radioman at BBC local will have royalty tagging....for want of a more formal wording. This tagging is not lost because new imaging is added, it'll remain until it is deleted from the system. More often than not when new packages come in some of the old stuff stays on the system and within running orders (until the latter are updated - mannually). One of the programmes I oversee for instance has an old news build at the head of it which I've been meaning to get removed for ....well a few years - its just as easy for me to skip it being the first item. It's an oversight, they happen. But anything that gets on to air by mistake will be logged and paid for.

Also in Radioman if audio is on a hotkey or cartwall it can't be deleted unless it is deleted first from the hotkey and/or cartwall. I've often used this trick to ensure that a piece of audio isn't purged from the system ;-)

I've also been privy to hearing a wide range of McCasso 2012 refresh beds and cuts which are available to all stations to adopt - if they want to. They sound quite good to me.

T
  • star+tetleystar tetley November 2012
    timbo said:

Any station jingles added to Radioman at BBC local will have royalty tagging....for want of a more formal wording. This tagging is not lost because new imaging is added, it'll remain until it is deleted from the system. More often than not when new packages come in some of the old stuff stays on the system and within running orders (until the latter are updated - mannually). One of the programmes I oversee for instance has an old news build at the head of it which I've been meaning to get removed for ....well a few years - its just as easy for me to skip it being the first item. It's an oversight, they happen. But anything that gets on to air by mistake will be logged and paid for.

Also in Radioman if audio is on a hotkey or cartwall it can't be deleted unless it is deleted first from the hotkey and/or cartwall. I've often used this trick to ensure that a piece of audio isn't purged from the system ;-)

I've also been privy to hearing a wide range of McCasso 2012 refresh beds and cuts which are available to all stations to adopt - if they want to. They sound quite good to me.

T

Very interesting. There's no excuse for Essex then!
  • tom_htom_h November 2012
    @simon_t123 The jingle was played before every news so it appears to be the regular jingle.

Mollie is at both BBC WM and BBC C&W, doing a weekly show on each and it appears that she had been covering at BBC H&W last week, so she knows what she's doing. She does have her own presenter ID for Hereford & Worcester but I'm not sure H&W has the ability to smart-network. I could be wrong but they tend to have 'BBC In The Midlands' jingles.
  • VinnahVinnah November 2012
    Richard Spendlove still uses his Music4 jingle at the start of the programme and just after 2100. There are two different voice overs for these, sometimes the same one will be played twice in one night. It's the male voice over which was used on Radio Cambridgeshire before they switched to Mcasso.

Sometimes just a voice over is used saying "Richard Spendlove" this is the current voiceover used on Radio Cambridgeshire however the show usually plays the Music4 jingle.
  • simon_t123simon_t123 December 2012
    @Vinnah you see these are some of the inconsistencies to be heard on the locals, it's a regional (actually a regional PLUS others in other regions) show so you'd think the production would be ultimately professional ... not in terms of quality, the Music4 packages worked really well for Cambs even if the musical logo used 99% of the time was that of BBC Radio Devon ... it's just you'd expect for the benefit of Kent & Lincs, plus the shows own region here in the East who are all Mcasso'd by this point that the imaging would be right ... which begs the royalties question I guess ? If it were a programme theme of some instrumental relevance then fair do's but the previous jingle package does not really count ;) nor does a VO from the since removed station voice !!!

I'm thinking things will improve in the new year, we've got the new national cum local show launching which may well provide some new Mcasso tracks, and perhaps rattle the door knobs at the locals into tightening up on their respective imaging / bring back some of the recently dropped regional imaging opts ...

I believe the beebs 'powers that be' in local radio imaging read this thread so maybe they might be best positioned to address imaging inconsistencies :)
  • jonnojonno December 2012
    Solent have introduced new Christmas cuts in the last few days.
    Mcasso xmas solent cut by jonno .
    http://radiotoday.co.uk/2012/12/mark-forrest-hosts-secret-bbc-pilot-show/ as posted by Roy @ RadioToday there's audio with a snippet of the new Mcasso theme for the local radio UK wide show :) I'd of liked to have heard the 'secret' shows, 2am mind, that really is secret !!!
  • tom_htom_h December 2012
    Some nice new cuts coming from Mcasso. I'm still looking for a clean cut of the WM/London travel bed by the way ;).

WM aren't using Christmas jingles, are any other stations (apart from Solent obviously ;))?
  • local_12local_12 December 2012
    Nice to hear a bit of Mark Forrest's show with a custom Mcasso ident. In the Eastern Counties, Suffolk, Essex and 3CR are using Christmas jingles as well as BBC C&W. Oh, and Sheffield have taken the new Mcasso cuts with a different news and travel bed to York.
    Sheffields travel seems to be slightly based on WM's/London's. It appears Mcasso seem to be using a lot more 'brass' (not totally sure, not brilliant with instruments).

{resourceTitle} by {username}

I always thought Sheffields news jingles was one of the best anyway.
  • timbotimbo December 2012
    How about a little taster of the All England show Mcasso.....

Evening TOTH by Timbo_bbc

...TOTH??
    I like them but will London retain it's logo?
    ahhh @Timbo we like little tasters ;) thanks ...

nice @tom_h to hear refreshed cuts in @ Sheffield, listen out to hear perhaps the 'rocky' sounding sport bed in use as time goes by ... certainly more brass in the recent cuts, I think it adds more 'depth' or a produces a 'fuller' sound where some of the earlier Mcasso cuts were weaker, slightly synth sounding ... I have it on good authority that an orchestra related to the BBC did play on some of the cuts ... as for the new evening show, perhaps news junctions / TOTH sequences should be brought into line soundwise along with the various streamlining of schedules etc ? So long as there are the local logos retained in places, the recent York package seemed a bit short on those, it's a more serious, orchestral sound ...
    I was up to catch the start of Wednesday mornings Mark Forrest pilot show (19/12/2012) the audio below has the show theme play out at 2am with Mark introducing the show as the best of BBC Local Radio, interestingly I listened on iPlayer to the Suffolk stream at random and caught the Suffolk localiser as part of the beds end tag ... I'm going to try the Essex stream now to hear the results :)

I've just heard actually a dry voice tag over the start of a song similar to "You're listening to Mark Forrest, This is BBC Essex"

That confirms for both Suffolk and Essex at least the current local voice over artists are used to localise and tag ID's mixed with the programmes own voiceover artist ...

A local promo was played out before a song at one point, and I even had an email read out in the 'best present ever' feature ... all sounds promising, and that's as I sit here at 2:22 AM !!!

here's a scoped aircheck of the news at 3am from the BBC Essex iPlayer feed ... it starts with a caller from Kent who just squeezes in what I would consider an awkward question re: if the new show was replacing her beloved Roger Day (BBC South evening presenter) cue reassurance that 'they'll put him somewhere else' and into a quick link to a Joni Mitchell track then the TOTH played into the news at 3am that has an out stab that's new to me, and then it's into the programme theme with a BBC Essex localiser / tag ... it has been an interesting show, I've enjoyed it !!! and for those here in the East Wally Webb is on-air from 4am so it'll be interesting to hear how he follows on from Mark rather than Five Live ...

and here's the end of the show with an ident featuring a producers credit and a straight, clean take over by Wally Webb for the regional early breakfast show ...

@timbo do you know if the TOTH is in use at either Leeds, York or any other LR @ the moment ? just out of interest :) ta ...
  • local_12local_12 December 2012
    The TOTH sounds a lot similar to the refreshed one used by York
    Hi Simon,

Not sure if that TOTH is being used elsewhere (will have a look). There was a raft of new cuts that have become available for BBC Local, and they featured in those. It was only later when I heard the England show cuts that I realised some were the same as the refresh cuts. So I'm guessing they might be available for all, not exclusive to Mark Forrest's new show.
  • JinglejamesJinglejames December 2012
    The TOTH cut for the Mark Forrest Evening Show is the same one used by Radio York. As far as I know, it isn't currently being used anywhere else, but the refresh has only happened on a couple of stations so far, and this may change as the new cuts are rolled out across the network.
  • tom_htom_h January 2013
    Have any other stations updated their imaging with this being the first proper week back of the new year?
  • VinnahVinnah January 2013
    I've noticed that just after the Mark Forrest show the Mcasso BBC Suffolk news jingle is played, usually only part of it is heard as it fades in after Mark's show. Does anyone know how the new show works in the East? Is it sent to Norwich and local imaging done from there? Interesting how the National show has local voiceovers in the East but the East programmes no longer do this.

The other Eastern Region programmes work the same way they did before.
  • AndyWAndyW January 2013
    Re the Mollie Green thing further up the thread. She was networked out of Worcester and the show didn't air on WM. She was sitting in for Mike Wyer. Only Hereford & Worcester, Stoke & Shropshire. Normally split travel intros are used on that programme. WM also never used the Music 4 travel bed under the travel news. Listeners always used to complain that the beds were too distracting but there were also times when you could hear things in the background you shouldn't at travel HQ like others conversations, the cleaner emptying the bins etc...

I don't know if it has been mentioned further up the thread but during the Mark Forrest evening show he plays the ident music track from his studio and the local idents and trails are remotely fired in at the local station as dry lines over the top. So if the local split item fails you just get the music bed on air. The show originates from BBC Leeds but distribution and monitoring is handled in Birmingham.

Oh, and WM did have a Mcasso Christmas cut which was used extensively in the week leading up to Christmas.
    I know Mollie wasn't on WM. She's recently covered the same show but this time used a generic 'BBC in the West Midlands' Mcasso bed for the travel.

I've noticed with the Mark Forrest shows, the female voiceover that says 'Mark Forrest' appears to be the same on all 39 stations however the station name is done by the stations regular voice over. Sounds strange to me, the two don't seem to work together. The station voiceover also seems a tad quieter than the generic 'Mark Forrest'.

I must have misunderstood your Mollie comment. Mike Wyer is back on this week with split travel and news idents.

That's apparently how Wire Free productions wanted it to be. Probably cheaper to use what's already around and kind of sticks to the style of the rest of the day too. I'd guess the quietness is down to how much compression is on the network female voice. It's not like the female bit is played from the show studio with the station tag split played on the end so there's no real reason why the levels should be too different.
  • mbmb January 2013
    Who knows what WireFree are up to, The twitter from the show is used like an internal messagig system to the BBC locals just a sucession of great audio fromXXXX please send more via XXX. On Facebook they are removing comments and traffic seems very low for a national show. Tuesday night the last 20 minutes were Beethoven’s 5th, two one line tweets on marriage a trail for mid mornings on my local station and Terrance Trent Derby “sign your name”. I can’t think by any stretch of the imagination how THAT equals worthy content for a network show on 39 stations. Mark Forest needs to dump the sickly “these are the stories that move me and touch me” dire dire sickly presentation and the I’ve been listening to the best of bbc local radio – 39 stations 13 hours that’s a lot of content or the best is so thin he CAN actually listen to the best of it! The news and traffic locally are also not up to scratch, I thought they were still going to provide decent local news during this show – so far it seems woeful. It's too high profile to get dumped but the current quality of the show will not sustain it on an ongoing basis.
    I've listened on BBC London, and TCR and imaging is clunky and sounds woeful.
    We go into news bulletins iwth an assortment of any jingle sems to do confusing the hell out of the news teams who when they do get on air sound like they would rather be anywhere than reading the news during this show.
    I know this is the jingles / imaging thread but BBC local radio has hit a new low with this show - The imaging is just one of the issues!

• simon_t123simon_t123 January 2013
    @Timbo & @Jinglejames thanks for your earlier info :) I was wondering & debating on the DS forums how the Mark Forrest show might be distributed, usually after 7pm in the East BBC Essex would run the evening shows which used to come from Cambridgeshire & Suffolk but seemed to be routed via Norwich ! The news reader in the 'Look East' newsroom I suspect would actually be sitting in one of the BBC Norfolk studios to read their bullys joining the remote sources together with stations picking up the resulting feed ... We used to have localised ID's travel in's & news in's which I presume were fired off locally at all the regions stations via 'Radioman' ... then we lost those in favour of the providing stations own imaging, Cambs & Suffolk logo's on the news most nights ... and then along came the Mark Forrest show which must of changed things again, news still comes from Norwich, the newsreader there is sometimes late rejoining Mark Forrest but that show from Leeds seems able to remote fire ID's here in Essex so I'm guessing perhaps it's a 'Radioman' thing ? Macros or the like ? ... There was an interesting pic on the show Facebook page showing a electric piano footpedal (?) and a comment saying how this was a saving grace ! possibly then the way he fires off the remote ID's ?

Who knows ... it's interesting to read that Leeds fire off the promo beds & imaging from there, that would explain the random attempts at locals talking to time on the promo's and the awful dips & fades in use that never seem in time with the voiced part ... I'm sure it'll tighten up in time, it's a never done before thing they say ... not nationally I guess, but regions have been splitting ID's & trails for ages now ...
    A bit OT but the electric piano type foot pedal will most likely be for his Producer talkback.

Mark plays both parts of the split ident from Leeds. The bed comes from Leeds itself and then he fires the dry voicers remotely. It is all done with Radioman.
  • JinglejamesJinglejames January 2013
    Re: the female voiceover being the same on all 39 stations - not quite - York is using their own female station voice for Mark's name on the idents, as he already does a local show there on Sunday mornings.
  • James_VertiganJames_Vertigan January 2013
    Sorry I can't upload it via Soundcloud as I don't have an account and tried to create one but the website appears to be having problems.

Anyway - I think BBC Radio Devon launched the new jingle package this morning - ahead of their 30th birthday on Thursday - here's the opener from this morning featuring Gordon Sparks (who always comes out a little early from Up All Night!): http://up.metropol247.co.uk/James%20Vertigan/BBC%20Devon%20NEW.mp3

Quite like the opening bed :)
    @AndyW ahh could be, could be ... they held said pedal in high esteem mind !!!

re: BBC Devon, had a listen on the iplayer, there's a twinge of BBC London on the travel bed and a news bed I've not heard used anywhere before ... sounds 'refreshed' :) now come on BBC Essex ;) loads of new shows, NO new idents ...
  • shf2013shf2013 January 2013
    Devon sounds nice, anybody got a copy of the beds?
  • timbotimbo January 2013
    Quite like the sound of the Devon stuff on iPlayer.

In the mean time some bits, afraid not in full to prevent them being pulled.

Macasso Montage by Timbo_bbc
    I like a lot of that montage. Sounds better than their first cuts!
    @timbo ... what a fab montage :) thanks for posting ... some there with a possible "BBC Essex" logo, can you confirm or deny ? if possible lols ... actually there are some great cuts in that montage, some of which I've heard in use around & about ... it's like these cuts have evolved, less 'plinky-plonk' and altogether fuller if that makes sense ?
  • mbmb January 2013

I thought Most of the cuts were made in a big batch and the contract completed. Unless they have recently gone back for more by end oct / nov last year they were complete. I don't think there is an ongoing update program just recycling the same library of cuts round the country.

I still find them like some ghastly mid morning magazine show theme. The result of a cheap tender by BBC worldwide by a woefully under experienced team and a low quality threshold. BBC Local radio now sound more mediocre and “old” than it did 10, 15, 20 years ago. No relation to the BBC WM, Manchester, Leeds I found entertaining when I was a student. At best it’s transient lift music to support equally dull speech.
  • timbotimbo January 2013

@timbo ... what a fab montage :) thanks for posting ... some there with a possible "BBC Essex" logo, can you confirm or deny ? if possible lols ... actually there are some great cuts in that montage, some of which I've heard in use around & about ... it's like these cuts have evolved, less 'plinky-plonk' and altogether fuller if that makes sense ?

I don't know anything specific about stations taking on specific cuts in the future. But each cut has a version which each station could take, there are versions with 3, 4, 5 ,6 7 etc number of syllables. So any station could take any of the cuts I believe.

The montage actually is a mix of old and new cuts. It is my understanding that new cuts are being added, its not just the original library being recyled around the country (but that is an option). There was a pool of refresh cuts released back in autumn, so I imagine that stations wanting to opt for them could be looking at them now for launch in the spring. As I say I don't know if they are, but they could be.

They have produced special beds for beatles programming, the jubilee, the Olympics too. There are 'rural' and 'urban' cuts of some production beds as well.

I like the sound of the newer stuff. But equally I've gotten used to the older cuts from using them week in week out.

I had an idea there had been some refreshed cuts, a recent telephone call with a source of info mentioned recent Beatles cuts and involvement with an orchestra, which one I can't remember ! the package has certainly grown on me over time, just not the way all stations seem to use it ... personally it's frustrating when your local sounds stake but some locals are running their second set of Mcasso ... as group branding goes it's done it's job, been locals are now unmistakably been locals, junctions with Mark Forrest shows are blending better with the Mcasso sound of late which is encouraging ... as long as the powers that be don't dive into further networking ...

Must be great to use current imaging Timbo, the likes of which we're debating here so much, I remember at the very start of my radio career I was generously allowed an hour in BBC Essex studio 1B to make a self-op coursework show with the venerable mk III desk, carts and the 1991 David Arnold / TM Century US sung jingle package ... that was my been local moment, loved it :)

The Mark Forrest theme and other delights are in demo form on the Mcasso website ...
  • mbmb January 2013
    It was my understanding that there are not batches of refresh cuts but that there was a contract to produce cuts which started a while back and was completed in October or November last year. The contract is now complete and there was at that stage no ongoing update / refresh program a la Reelworld one. What most stations are getting is the swapping of jingles from that pool that were created after thier first initial cuts so I'd not describe them as new but new to the station. It may be that in 2013 there is is further budget for the production of cuts but as the whole exercise was about making BBC worldwide lots of money it would have little purpose to them. I think these will be around for a while and rotated regularly.
    timbo said:

Quite like the sound of the Devon stuff on iPlayer.

In the mean time some bits, afraid not in full to prevent them being pulled.

Macasso Montage by Timbo_bbc

them jingles are fantastic!!! would be nice to hear a bit more of the beds. thanks for uploading.

;-)
  • mbmb January 2013
    not toallt jingles but theres a few on here and very interesting piece about the development of radio technology

So BBC Northampton has attempted a move on from the Mk III setup to find a way forward now, by all accounts they needed too !!! and with the Northants trial and BBC Manchester using VCS Dira for playout could be a possible shift to Dira as the preferred LR playout system ? I heard mention in the video of doing "all 40 stations" but I'd of thought the Calrec X setups in a large number of stations was established and quite recent ... it would be almost criminal to rip out those locations surely ? The ViLoR layout of the studio looked ok, a little on the cheap side when you consider the meat of a Mk III installation ... an interesting video @mb, thanks for sharing that :)
    an interesting read here re: ViLoR ... Northants, Essex, Suffolk and 3CR to be running as ViLoR stations by the end of 2013 with the whole network being moved over in time !

http://www.psneurope.com/newsletteraudio4broadcast-content/full/bbc-local-radio-to-go-virtual-on-ip#.UP4LyCfOt8E
  • wixy1360wixy1360 January 2013
    Although the technical topic of this is a wee bit adrift from jingles, I have to say that technically with ViLOR etc they are putting over-reliance on IP / internet - the internet is today far more fragile in how it works than many users realise - all they seem to see is just "the pretty pictures".

The BBC local network (and regionals / nations) should be about resilience - not bean-counting or fancy toys.
  • jonnojonno January 2013
    maybe using ip over a private network?
    Interesting transition back to the Eastern Counties tonight.

https://soundcloud.com/vinnah800/bbc-east-2200-toh
  • star+tetleystar tetley January 2013
    Yes, BBC Radio Norfolk is taking over the region!
    wixy1360 said:

Although the technical topic of this is a wee bit adrift from jingles, I have to say that technically with ViLOR etc they are putting over-reliance on IP / internet - the internet is today far more fragile in how it works than many users realise - all they seem to see is just "the pretty pictures".

The BBC local network (and regionals / nations) should be about resilience - not bean-counting or fancy toys.

i.p. is not strictly the internet. This uses the BBC's own private circuits. They just carry data rather than audio and have strict rules on the architecture so that the broadcast critical stuff has priority. It's not like they're sticking it all into a broadband router and hoping that it comes out the other end. There is resilience built in to each studio in the very slim event of a studio failing. Sorry, there are reasons why I know a lot about this...

oh dear lols ... the other day Graham Barnard played out the sting version of the Radio Norfolk news in which worked just fine out of Mark Forrest ... what you do get is some strange IP glitch when Norwich takes control back, like a digital stutter ... teething problems I guess ? whilst on the subject in the East, we had Sunday shows from Essex to all or some of the region using the BBC Essex travel bed without voiceover with the Suffolk travel out, a right mix & match job ...
    https://soundcloud.com/vinnah800/bbc-east-2200-toh-23-1 Tonight's one seems to be back to usual.
    it's allll in the newsreader I reckon ;) it was that chap that played a news sting the other day whilst Rita Johnson does nothing but maybe the pips (?) ... there's no clear cut rule then perhaps ...
    I agree Simon, that seems to be the case though I've only heard Rita do the news once since the MF show launched.

Tonight local travel tails & presenter IDs are back. "Nick Risby on the BBC In Beds, Herts & Bucks" was played after the 11 news and "Beds, Herts & Bucks Travel" after the travel news. ToTH is still BBC Suffolk without VO.
    It was Rita that was crashing fades back into MF, I'm all for innovation with the quick news sting, it sounds much better with a bit of intro into regional news ... but bless him (Wally Webb) that's always a sombre opt out of Five Live for anyone that's up at that time of day but more power to him he reads his own news and for the mo I guess we do start at 4am here in the East, I'd imagine the cost was negligible so long may that continue ...

Ah a return to localised id's eh @Vinnah ? that's welcome just for that extra bit of polish on the output, I've not picked up on any yet but I've usually been listening around the MF show of late to cast views on it ... What's good in our region from a jingle POV is that the locals that produce for the region use their own Mcasso ID's which provides a bit of variety ;)
    Has someone got a recording of the breakdown track which is used on the internet when the football comes on?
    @simon_t123 Yeah I think the news sting is excellent, does Graham Barnard play them every time the news is on during the MF show? I've only listened to the MF show in full once which was the first night it was broadcast. It's not that I don't like it but it's not the same as Sue Marchant and annoyingly Sue's Sunday show isn't broadcast on 3CR but it's possible to get Cambridgeshire, Northampton & Essex here.

I listen to Nick Risby so I've only really heard the 2200 ToTH since the MF show began.
  • simon_t123simon_t123 February 2013
    @Vinnah, no the newsreaders only play something in at 10pm as the MF show sends no bed then, it keeps the flow going but then at 11 I imagine it's the Suffolk news in going into the news again ... Totally agree it's not the same as Sue Marchant, she's not had the best of luck with scheduling, in the early 00's BBC in the East broadcast right thru the night and Sue had a show on then, I'd say bring that back :) But I reckon first that the late show will go national before enough people revolt and we get more local shows (and better jingles !) back on the Locals ...

That's a strange point you raise about Sue's Sunday show only going out on a few stations, the show before her from Essex only seemed to go out on Essex, Suffolk and Norfolk whilst Spendlove perhaps ? was going out over your side of the region ? Sue came on and thanked Spendlove for the show before hers when here in Essex it was Etholle George in for the usual lady presenter ... Strange goings on !!!
  • star+tetleystar tetley February 2013

@Vinnah, no the newsreaders only play something in at 10pm as the MF show sends no bed then, it keeps the flow going but then at 11 I imagine it's the Suffolk news in going into the news again ... Totally agree it's not the same as Sue Marchant, she's not had the best of luck with scheduling, in the early 00's BBC in the East broadcast right thru the night and Sue had a show on then, I'd say bring that back :) But I reckon first that the late show will go national before enough people revolt and we get more local shows (and better jingles !) back on the Locals ...

That's a strange point you raise about Sue's Sunday show only going out on a few stations, the show before her from Essex only seemed to go out on Essex, Suffolk and Norfolk whilst Spendlove perhaps ? was going out over your side of the region ? Sue came on and thanked Spendlove for the show before hers when here in Essex it was Etholle George in for the usual lady presenter ... Strange goings on !!!

I agree it's a bit of a mish-mash in the East at the moment. Sue shouldn't be thanking Spendlove because he is only on Cambs. The Sunday afternoon presenters are giving out the evening schedule but 3CR and Northampton are not taking it. The Mcasso jingles are a bit of everything and Spendlove is still using Music4!
  • simon_t123simon_t123 February 2013
    Not so much of a cost saving in the East then when it comes to programming ;) There must be several staff at each station with their own shows produced on a Sunday evening well after a large slice of networked content has already gone out ? I'd of thought it cheaper that the doors were locked & the lights went out on a Sunday afternoon at most sites until Monday morning ...

Sunday afternoons from Leechy, thru country to Bridget Metcalfe come from Essex so they're probably working off the noticeboard there, but no one seems to be taking into account those local variations ... as you say a mish-mash just about explains all !!!

On another note I'm wondering if the ever spreading Graham Torrington with his late show might gradually creep into other regions, he was popular (or so I think !) on the GWR network stations in the East back in the day, there may be more cash to save with Graham right across England of a late night ...
  • AndyWAndyW February 2013
    The plan is for late programmes to stay regional. That means an increase in localness for some stations as a lot of the West Midlands region that now take Graham Torrington from Birmingham used to get their late night show from Nottingham. There is no plan to spread him further than the West Midlands.
  • tom_htom_h March 2013
    It seems BBC Newcastle has updated its travel jingle.

Have any other stations updated?
  • star+tetleystar tetley March 2013
    Northampton have something new for Friday Sport.
  • tom_htom_h March 2013
    I've made a short clip of the new Northampton sport jingle. Sounds to me like a news one.

BBC Radio Northampton Friday Night Sport Jingle by tomh274

Also, I've made a montage of BBC WM's breakfast show jingles, the first is the current weekday jingle, the second is for the main cover presenter and the third is the recently updated (hence my upload) Saturday Breakfast one. For some reason the later two don't seem to make the transition from the initial jingle to the bed very smoothly, any ideas why?

BBC WM 95.6 Breakfast Show Jingles by tomh274
  • LenGroatLenGroat March 2013
    Sorry, but I almost fell asleep listening to the audio 'idents'... and the presenters.

The only possible reason the BBC are using these very formal, unmemorable idents, AND doing ALL speech breakfast shows, is to ensure the listening figures go DOWN so they have an excuse to start merging or closing the local stations?

Amazingly, BBC local radio comes under 'News', hence the style of these idents (a journalists idea of 'idents') which sound remarkably like what I heard on BBC Radio Merseyside when I visited it in 1971 !

Most importantly, there is a 30-40 year age gap between the broadcasters and the audience.

How can the BBC justify using (clearly) very YOUNG presenters at breakfast, when the only age group who can listen for the length of time needed to follow speech segments are the (retired or ill) 65+ ? Yet at Radio 1 the policy is for YOUNG presenters as they try to force the age of the typical listener down past 30 !

Why do they use two opposing philosophies?

These idents are nothing to do with 'style', but indicate the BBC's long term plans for local radio.
  • tom_htom_h March 2013
    I'm assuming you're talking about Mollie Green when you're on about the young presenters. I can see what you mean but 'our Mol' as she's known connects very well with the older audience. I do however believe that BBC Local Radio shouldn't be aimed at an age range but more the local area and it's population regardless of age.

I still think that the WM jingles I uploaded are some of the better Mcasso idents.
  • DavidHemsleyDavidHemsley March 2013
    tom_h said:

better Mcasso idents.

Yes! that's exactly what we need !!

• connorconnor March 2013
    i like a lot of wm's jingles but i one which i don't like is the one they use on the late show
    also could anyone find the sport jingle that most of the bbc local radio stations use on the sports show on a saturday. thanks
  • AndyWAndyW March 2013
    Hate to say this but all of the presenters in the WM clip are around the 40 mark in age. Pete is a little over and Mollie (who does Saturday Breakfast) is a little under. BBC Local Radio aims at 45+. The Drivetime guy is in his 50's. Their oldest presenter is 72! They used JAM until 12 years ago,
  • tom_htom_h March 2013
    There seems to be another variation of the BBC in the Midlands travel jingle. On this one however the end jingle, tag... whatever doesn't match the main bed...

BBC In The Midlands Travel Jingle by tomh274
  • simon_t123simon_t123 March 2013
    anything goes in the regions !!! in the East we've seen a return to locally fired ID's again but in the late show at travel time weeknights we get the Radio Suffolk travel bed with the BBC Essex travel out, I assume the others locals in the region get their own travel out, if it's generic ID's that night you'd get a generic version of the Suffolk travel out ... A different situation occurs on Sundays where programmes come from BBC Essex as you get a generic version of the Essex travel bed used but usually with the generic Suffolk travel out used ... anything goes !!!
  • tom_htom_h March 2013
    Seems' a bit messy for the BBC. I know it's only local radio and it's not peak time but stilll....
    Oooo BBC Essex is all change ! unfortunately it sounds like the recent BBC Radio York package has been brought in which personally I don't like, too orchestral for my liking but it's good there's been a change as it was long overdue in Essex .. the travel is the same used by Mark Forrest in the evenings which is not totally surprising perhaps as the Managing Editor of BBC Essex is also the BBC's editor for that show ... I've yet to catch a full top o hour but it's a very different sound, if you can all anything Mcasso different !!!
    ... ah it IS the same package York & the Mark Forrest show use ... the news intro has the tagline "Essex And Proud" lols, this is repeated twice, like most ID's now once with the 'Essex' sounding male and once with a female voice, not sure which day these went live but the presenters are gently moving around them ...

... ah it IS the same package York & the Mark Forrest show use ... the news intro has the tagline "Essex And Proud" lols, this is repeated twice, like most ID's now once with the 'Essex' sounding male and once with a female voice, not sure which day these went live but the presenters are gently moving around them ...

They went live on Sunday.

By the way Northampton go digital tomorrow - could there be anything new?
    I had a listen this morning, nothing new for Northants that I could detect ... thanks for the info re: Essex starting on Sunday, I must have been in another world since then !!! As an Essex 'person' I'm still digesting a strapline of "Essex and proud" lols ... from listening more I hear the same themes rotating a LOT, i.e interactive / call in ID's are using the same theme as presenter ID's and some play them every few minutes ...

I had a listen this morning, nothing new for Northants that I could detect ... thanks for the info re: Essex starting on Sunday, I must have been in another world since then !!! As an Essex 'person' I'm still digesting a strapline of "Essex and proud" lols ... from listening more I hear the same themes rotating a LOT, i.e interactive / call in ID's are using the same theme as presenter ID's and some play them every few minutes ...

Just a change to the news jingle to mention DAB.
  • tom_htom_h March 2013
    I've added a clip of the old/new BBC Essex Mcasso jingles. I've left in the first link because the content sounds bloody awful. I know this is a jingle forum but a facebook group with over 400 members wow.... and flapjacks? Really? It was a story during the news bulletins on BBC WM and they couldn't stop laughing.

Back to the jingles, the old ones sound very dated now compared to the new ones. I also notice unlike most other BBC Local Beds, they're ramps with a fixed end unlike a bed and a closing ID.

BBC Essex Old v New Mcasso by tomh274

You need good presenters when they've got a fixed end!
    haha, yes the flapjack story was an Essex sourced story ... a child at a school injured with a triangular flapjack !!! they could make them circular ;)

anyway, good audio there that shows something about the jingles that's annoying me ... most travel outs have the Mcasso logo straight into the presenter ID / bed which starts with ... the Mcasso logo, there's a lot of clashing there between those 3 notes as each ID may have a different tempo / texture ... we get a kind of 3 note mashup & it ain't good !!! also they use the 'Essex' MVO saying a plain "BBC Essex" so much now to top & tail promo's etc that even those words are clashing at times, a little more thought into the flow of things would be good ... as for the id's I know I've been bashing Essex for a while now for their stale id's but the old ones were actually better !!! these new ones are just a bit too ... orchestral for my liking, they sound more 'real' than the earlier ones yes but give the station an ait that it's punching above it's weight, the tone has brcame more serious ... but hey ho this is just me waffling & my taste !!!
  • tom_htom_h March 2013
    The new travel out with it's drivetime specific voiceover is a nice touch. I do agree however the bed after the travel out does not need another 'BBC Essex' voiceover.
    Yeah I noticed that with the drivetime V/O that's all the show needs for an intro as there's always travel directly after the news at drivetime ... in the clip there the bed used is not so clashy but yesterday it was the "do-do-dooo" of the travel straight into a much slower "do-do-dooo" of a different bed, too much do-do-dooo'ing lols ;)
  • AndyWAndyW March 2013
    Hadn't seen the Midlands travel ident post. Sounds like Radio Shropshire's usual travel intro bed with a different v/o. That show only has a split news intro at the start and doesn't usually do travel news which I guess is why you got the generic ident.
  • tom_htom_h April 2013
    BBC Coventry and Warwickshire have new Mcasso jingles, and new voiceovers. This fits in with the new schedule change today. I'll post some clips later.
  • shf2013shf2013 April 2013
    did I just here a clear bed at 4pm!?! Sounds like Sheffield.
  • tom_htom_h April 2013
    A clear news bed? Yeah, the presenters don't talk over it.
  • tom_htom_h April 2013
    As promised, but late.

BBC Coventry & Warwickshire New Mcasso Jingles by tomh274

Sheffield's jingles feature a lot, Phil Upton's jingle seems to be a reworked news bed.
    thanks for that, God i just love that bed at :37
  • mbmb April 2013
    I'm sure I heard these during Mark Forrest - not sure as I was stabbing forks in my eyes at the time at painful state of BBC Local Radio between 7-10pm

BBCCountyshire by MichaelBoltonA
  • Very good mb - I rather think that you did hear this......
  • IainJohnstonIainJohnston April 2013
    Ha! I was actually going to send a copy of the full version of that to young Linden this weekend! :-D
  • LenGroatLenGroat April 2013
    I'm not sure if VERY dull instrumental beds with BBC local radio 'prattle' over them really 'fit' on JingleMad ?

Annie Othen (sp?) "Excitement " ? I don't think so.....

Thoughts??
  • tom_htom_h April 2013
    I can see why you feel they don't fit on jingle mad, they're not very exciting.

Problem is though, if I was to flick through my radio now then I could only think of two stations that use sung jingles. Sadly this is the state of UK radio now with more using voiceovers over music beds.

I see no harm in discussing the changes between various BBC Local Radio jingles while they're still there, considering they're trying to make BBC Local Radio all the same anyway. I know you might not find it exciting and to be honest neither do I but I find it interesting.
  • simon_t123simon_t123 April 2013
    And ... it could all change @ some stage !!! the beeb locals went all twinkly circa the year 2000 with the last network-wide branding push ... then locals branched off with a variety of sung ID's from a variety of providers :)

Some of the new C&W ID's are re-versions of those used by the Mark Forrest evening show, as now also used on BBC Essex, and some of those in use on C&W I've not heard before ... whilst listening to Mark Forrest you can hear they've put into use alt/stripped mixes of that show's theme for various text & phone in prompts, and listening to the C&W cuts above I wonder if Mcasso or whoever makes these now (the beeb might have these under hand in house now - a BBC affiliated orchestra was mentioned to me a while back) are providing more 'layer' based workparts so producers can strip say the brass overdubs or some of the beat back to make alternative, unique production ?

It can be dull, or at least it was when it started to all come to air several years ago but it's improving all the while in my opinion, some stations sound pretty slick with their production, Radio Kent springs to mind ... BBC Essex have made good use of travel tags to promote the current show "keeping you moving thu the rush - Ian Puckey" etc and so it's always a hunt to see who's doing what, I appreciate Len's view here it's not the sung jingles we majority are in love with in use, but it's a big network with a lot of imaging, personally I like the conformity of a brand, the beeb have kept varying degrees of localness alive in the imaging, the local voiceover is one example, the individual station Mcasso logo's are another ... In that respect it is interested and as I started by saying here it could all change @ some stage :)
  • star+tetleystar tetley April 2013

And ... it could all change @ some stage !!! the beeb locals went all twinkly circa the year 2000 with the last network-wide branding push ... then locals branched off with a variety of sung ID's from a variety of providers :)

Some of the new C&W ID's are re-versions of those used by the Mark Forrest evening show, as now also used on BBC Essex, and some of those in use on C&W I've not heard before ... whilst listening to Mark Forrest you can hear they've put into use alt/stripped mixes of that show's theme for various text & phone in prompts, and listening to the C&W cuts above I wonder if Mcasso or whoever makes these now (the beeb might have these under hand in house now - a BBC affiliated orchestra was mentioned to me a while back) are providing more 'layer' based workparts so producers can strip say the brass overdubs or some of the beat back to make alternative, unique production ?

It can be dull, or at least it was when it started to all come to air several years ago but it's improving all the while in my opinion, some stations sound pretty slick with their production, Radio Kent springs to mind ... BBC Essex have made good use of travel tags to promote the current show "keeping you moving thu the rush - Ian Puckey" etc and so it's always a hunt to see who's doing what, I appreciate Len's view here it's not the sung jingles we majority are in love with in use, but it's a big network with a lot of imaging, personally I like the conformity of a brand, the beeb have kept varying degrees of localness alive in the imaging, the local voiceover is one example, the individual station Mcasso logo's are another ... In that respect it is interested and as I started by saying here it could all change @ some stage :)

There is a difference this time as all stations have been forced to take this package.
  • simon_t123simon_t123 April 2013
    with any luck that was in times of much lean-ness ! and as time goes by things might change, who knows :) they're doing ok tho' at the moment as they are ... I don't mind the locals sound :) but I always listen for the next thing !
    Clean bed YESS!!

Can Somebody kindly capture it at 59:24? Well mostly clean anyways!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p017b0q0

thanks
  • local_12local_12 May 2013
    BBC Bristol have changed their jingles to the new batch as well.
  • mb said:

I'm sure I heard these during Mark Forrest - not sure as I was stabbing forks in my eyes at the time at painful state of BBC Local Radio between 7-10pm

BBCCountyshire by MichaelBoltonA

Excellent Michael..Just about sums up BBC Local Radio!
    Mind you I am enjoying BBC Berkshire a lot nowadays!! (But that's another story!) :-)
    Who did that BBC Countyshire Jingle?
    They should be commissioned to do the next BBC Local Package!!

Pete