Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook

Sign In Apply for Membership

In this Discussion

Radio 1 vintage (50th anniversary celebrations)
  • It's been embargoed for a little while but now they've officially announced...
    https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/jun/29/radio-1-at-50-golden-oldies-to-return-for-celebration
    If 'Radio 1 vintage" will see the return of some legendary jocks, what about the jingles? Will they license some of the classic cuts and get JAM to shout "vintage!"?
    I should point out that I work for the BBC but have no connection with this project at all.
  • Its a bit "unfortunate" that a number of the original or subsequent DJs (NOT "presenters"...) are "in the clink"...
    but I hope they can have a lot more significant "names" than "just" Tony B and the "non-proper-Radio One" people.

As for the jingles - surely the people who dumped JMW in the way they he has indicated they apparently did are
    now "long gone" from the Beeb, and there's certainly some well-known names within the Beeb production arms
    and associated production providers now who "know their jingles" and would be happy to bury the proverbial hatchet?

Fingers crossed all round :^)
  • IanFIanF June 29
    Can't see Jon having a problem to be fair. It'll be a good advert for JAM and an education for most of their listeners.

Slightly off topic, I wonder what the Beeb locals are doing on November 8th this year?
  • So the 50 DJS (having an hour each) to be featured are:
    Tony Blackburn
    Alan Freeman
    Kenny Everett
    Emperor Rosko
    John Peel
    Noel Edmonds
    Johnnie Walker
    Ed Stewart
    Annie Nightingale
    Bob Harris
    Mike Read
    Gary Davies
    David Jensen
    Janice Long
    Tommy Vance
    Mike Smith
    Mark Goodier
    Simon Mayo
    Simon Bates
    Jackie Brambles
    Steve Lamacq
    Jo Whiley
    Kevin Greening
    Mark Radcliffe
    Zoe Ball
    Pete Tong
    Sara Cox
    Mary Anne Hobbs
    Fab & Groove
    Colin and Edith
    Dave Pearce
    Bobby & Nihal
    Rob Da Bank
    Tim Westwood
    Chris Moyles
    Fearne Cotton
    Trevor Nelson
    Zane Lowe
  • I'm surprised top 80's DJs Peter Powell, Adrian John & Steve Wright aren't in that list also :(
    Radio 1 was at it best in 80's, but started going downhill soon after the FM switch on.
    I've only listened mainly to the Top 40 in the 90's until around 1994/95. I've not really listened since then with the exception being 1 or 2 of Radio 1's Birthdays.
  • No sign of my heroes- Adrian Juste and Bruno Brookes, although they are planning to celebrate the Top 40
  • ratnobratnob August 6

Magnificent. Love that. G
  • RadioloveRadiolove August 29

That's a good mashup!
  • Some new imaging has been made for R1V including the legendary voice of John B Wells
  • iJinglesiJingles September 2
    If anyone plans recording Radio 1 Vintage over the 3 days, from start to finish, please contact me by PM :)

Thanks !!
  • IanFIanF September 2

Some new imaging has been made for R1V including the legendary voice of John B Wells

Is this straight from JAM or via S2Blue?

• PKPK September 2
    Will Radio 1 Vintage shows be available to listen again on Catch Up?
  • IainJohnstonIainJohnston September 2
    I note that the BBC site's schedule for the day will include Tony Blackburn "RE-CREATING, LIVE" the original
    1967 opening Breakfast Show from 7am to 9am.

It will be intriqueing to hear just what, say, "production items" as originally used that morning will be included
    - or indeed perhaps not ?
  • mattbeemattbee September 2
    PK said:

Will Radio 1 Vintage shows be available to listen again on Catch Up?

Yes, they will be available for 30 days. Full details of each programme and details how to listen here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p059cwkn

• petewilsonpetewilson September 3
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/56bpHGTbrS3nq1PyDCPl985/radio-1-vintage-how-to-listen

As I've already mentioned on Facebook.....

What a shambles DAB Radio is in the UK (that is If you are lucky enough to get an half decent signal where you live!)
    Does that also mean the BBC iplayer quality is going to be poor and in mono as well?
    Might as well gone the full whack and got 247 metres back for a few days for naff reception!
  • GrahamCollinsGrahamCollins September 3
    Spot on there Pete. We're all spoilt now by having a choice of good quality stereo outputs. Back in the day it was like listening to all of your music down a telephone line !

As an aside, how can Bobby Friction & Nihal, The Dreem Team, and Fabio & Grooverider be deemed 'vintage' ?
  • rakrak September 3
    Radios 1, 2, 6M etc are going down to 112kbps during this period. That'll be popular... From their FAQ:

10. Why is Radio 1 Vintage in mono?

There is only a fixed overall capacity available on the BBC national multiplex and this must be managed carefully to achieve good quality across the wide range of services that the BBC, as a public service broadcaster, aims to provide.

Achieving the right balance between the number of services offered and the bit rate allocated to each can at times be difficult. We have taken considerable care over the technical arrangements needed to allocate suitable capacity for each digital radio services. This does mean the capacity individually allocated to some services has had to be reduced at certain times in order, for example, to bring part-time services to listeners. This will continue to be the case on occasions when we consider the balance across our digital radio services demands it. The bit rate on Radio 1, 1Xtra, Radio 2 and 6Music has been reduced from 128kbps joint stereo to 112 kbps joint stereo to allow for Radio 1 Vintage.

• IainJohnstonIainJohnston September 3
    "Achieving the right balance between the number of services offered ...."

Technically correct, but sounds written by a 21-year-old "meedjah" person to pad it out
    until too much for most people to bother finishing reading.

I take that the beloved TMS (we don't need it all here but some of you Down South know what it is)
    could be whacked to 32k mono and it wouldn't hurt that. Or programmes for some "communities"
    that is broadcast nationally but not listened to in vast tracts of the country (e.g. BBC Alba is an
    example up here).

Plenty of bandwidth if certain "sensitivities" are put aside lets say, and it IS a special occasion.

My real "fear" as such is that the "re-creation" of the Tony Blackburn item might have "new" jingles
    from Wise Buddah which "replicate" the PAMS Series 31/32/33/34 of the real 1967 broadcast,
    with just a "few notes different" YAMCO or "I'll Take Manhattan" style in order to "avoid" the sort
    of copyright "complications" we've recently discussed here regarding August 14th 1967.

I truly hope though that the Beeb will "play the game" and use the real things, with full & happy
    prior consent from the true Copyright Owner in Dallas, and that the occasion will be an excellent
    celebration of the 50th anniversary :^)

Edit:- PS, the BBC news has mentioned a certain other 50th anniversary :^)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-41135081
  • mattbeemattbee September 3
    A certain member of the BBC Station Sound team tweeted a picture a couple of months ago of a "lovely delivery" which was the 1990 and 1992 JAM jingle CD's. So I would expect to hear some on R1 Vintage!
  • IainJohnstonIainJohnston September 15
    Driving back last night I half-heard a trailer on Radio 2 for one of the 50th Anniversary programmes,
    and although I wasn't really paying attention, I heard what sounded like "The Sound of Radio Two" as a
    male group acapella to the same (?) melody as the lead-in "The Voice of Radio One" from PAMS Series 31.

The audio seemed "suppressed" both in volume and into the mixing, and I didn't pick up any of
    what could/should have been the rest of what is one of the most-recognised PAMS cuts outside
    of Series 27.

A vague foretaste/teaser of some things "nice" coming our way at the anniversary?
    ... or my not-hoped-for suspicion of some kind of WB-produced tweaked sound-a-likes
    to get around whatever might "have" to be got-around?

As someone once said, "its not easy to Copyright an acapella".
  • gameswizardgameswizard September 15

Driving back last night I half-heard a trailer on Radio 2 for one of the 50th Anniversary programmes

Roughly what time, Iain? It might be on iPlayer...
  • DuncanNewmarchDuncanNewmarch September 15
    I'm pretty sure Tony Blackburn had an S2Blue version recorded for POTP some years ago, was it that?
  • gameswizardgameswizard September 15
    @DuncanNewmarch
    Was it you who accidentally said BBC1 whilst introducing a show on BBC2 a few days ago?
  • petewilsonpetewilson September 15
    Yes it was the first part of the jingle from the original batch of PAMS re-sings produced for Pick Of The Pops by S2Blue.........

http://imaging.s2blue.com/Radio-Jingles-Imaging-BBC-Radio-2-Tony-Blackburn-p330.aspx

You don't really think the BBC are going to spend ANY money on Jingles to commemorate 50 years do you!?!
    There isn't any money left in the pot after paying all their presenters (Radio and TV) :-)
  • rakrak September 15

Driving back last night I half-heard a trailer on Radio 2 for one of the 50th Anniversary programmes,
    and although I wasn't really paying attention, I heard what sounded like "The Sound of Radio Two" as a
    male group acapella to the same (?) melody as the lead-in "The Voice of Radio One" from PAMS Series 31.

The audio seemed "suppressed" both in volume and into the mixing, and I didn't pick up any of
    what could/should have been the rest of what is one of the most-recognised PAMS cuts outside
    of Series 27.

A vague foretaste/teaser of some things "nice" coming our way at the anniversary?
    ... or my not-hoped-for suspicion of some kind of WB-produced tweaked sound-a-likes
    to get around whatever might "have" to be got-around?

As someone once said, "its not easy to Copyright an acapella".

I think this is the programme you heard the Trail for - it could be interesting http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b094r72g

• mattbeemattbee September 19

Yes it was the first part of the jingle from the original batch of PAMS re-sings produced for Pick Of The Pops by S2Blue.........

http://imaging.s2blue.com/Radio-Jingles-Imaging-BBC-Radio-2-Tony-Blackburn-p330.aspx

You don't really think the BBC are going to spend ANY money on Jingles to commemorate 50 years do you!?!
    There isn't any money left in the pot after paying all their presenters (Radio and TV) :-)

They have actually has some re-sings, there was one at the start of The Story of the Light Programme last night from the PAMS 31 series - "The sound of Radio 2, fifty year of fun, music, too much"
  • DuncanNewmarchDuncanNewmarch September 19
    Listen carefully to it again...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b094r2vt
  • rakrak September 19
    Sounded like a mashup of S2Blue and PAMS to me.
  • gameswizardgameswizard September 20
    Interesting how the jingle starts in stereo, then reverts to mono from sonovox "music" until end.

A stereo remix of the original music tracks and the original mix combined.
    If the original was remixed into stereo, I wonder what's with the combo mix?

https://soundcloud.com/gameswizard2014/bbc-radio-2-the-sound-of-radio-2-50-years-of-funmusic-too-much-s2blue-pams
  • petewilsonpetewilson September 20
    Actually it sounds to me like S2 Blue into "new" Jam and then back to original 1967 PAMS........
    "New" JAM.....sound's promising for next week!:-)
  • IainJohnstonIainJohnston September 20
    Considering that more than one member of this forum has been able to "afford" to have that very
    cut "properly" re-sung by JAM as a Personal Cut, surely the BBC can/could have it re-done for such
    a special occasion "professionally" by JAM rather than a "Frankenstein mix" that would appear to have
    been lashed-up on a smartphone by this week's job-experience "student" as a training project ?

After all, the BBC had the 21st anniversary celebrated with "proper" JAM cuts (and possibly others).

Or, there's something very "subtle" going on there by the Beeb that's a bit too empherial for me to grasp.

(...and if they care to hunt through the 1972 Radio 2 PAMS KRLD/KULF bundle they can find a very
    nice "Happy Anniversary" stereo cut to bolt on to whatever).

Still, I do hope to be very pleasantly surprised on the big day.
  • petewilsonpetewilson September 20
    I love your comments Ian.......
    I'm going to take that back what I stated earlier......
    That is NOT "new" JAM but an edited "15 Years of Fun" (JAM 1982) from the Radio One cut!
    Hey something I would of done 35 years ago on Hospital Radio!
  • DuncanNewmarchDuncanNewmarch September 20
    Remember the days when R1 would have "international Kevin day" sung, just because they could?
  • GrahamCollinsGrahamCollins September 23
    I was at Radio 2 yesterday and can reveal that the first link in Tony Blackburn's recreation of the first show on Radio 1 has been pre-recorded to make sure it is fault free, however the rest of the show will be live with actual 45 singles being played in from a pair of Technics 1210 grams. Great fun and sure to be one of the highlights of the celebrations.
  • mattbeemattbee September 24
    Tony has confirmed he will be also be playing the original PAMS jingles too
  • scotronscotron September 24
    mattbee said:

Tony has confirmed he will be also be playing the original PAMS jingles too

Wonderful. Or should that be ONEderful!!

• IainJohnstonIainJohnston September 24
    Again partly heard a trailer this afternoon, possibly for the anniversary DAB station.

Unmistakably a JAM "Radio One" sono mixout, which I'm sure was 1976/8 era, Priority One
    or similar.
  • PPMPPM September 24
    Radio 1 were playing JAM jingles on the air this morning during their "Radio 1's Greatest Hits" programme and they sounded fantastic. Here's a short clip of them on the air...

https://soundcloud.com/prefade/radio-1-jam-jingles-2017