Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook

Sign In Apply for Membership

In this Discussion

Radio 1 - we're in your town
  • Does anyone have a nice clear cut of the "Radio 1.... we're in your town" Roadshow jingle? It was always a favourite of mine. Such a funky little number! Vocally it sounded very similar to the very famous "Radio One on the road" jingle, which I'm sure I read somewhere was an in-house jingle, not JAM. Is this true?
  • I am sure this is an EMERSON cut

• Or even EMIson... :^)

I think someone brought this up yonks ago - Studio G Productions were part of EMI, possibly before the first
    ILR custom packages (Capital, BRMB, Clyde....)

Davey, I doubt if you'll get a "clean" dub after 43 years, but who knows what's lying in garages, EMI's attic, or
    the alleged Beeb audio archives in that old railway tunnel...
    but try this anyway - I've added-in the more-or-less-corresponding BFBS (forces radio) versions, although
    I've no idea which were produced first.

https://soundcloud.com/allthebestjingles/ij-studiog-radiooneroadshow1973

• ooh that's fascinating - thanks Martin & Iain. I know nothing about EMI / Studio G so I guess I've got some swotting up to do Great to hear those Roadshow jingles again. Reminds me of sunny days in Porthcawl and Tenby. Yes we had a few sunny days - honest! ;-)
  • The R1 Roadshow package from Studio G is dated May 1973. The BFBS version is dated October 1977.

BFBS also bought another package from Studio G in November 1975. This was sent to Radio 2 as a demo - on another occassion they re-sang a number of cuts for R2 in a demo that was over 30mins long - they still didn't get the gig !
  • I'm guessing that Studio G also did the "Holiday holiday holiday time" jingle too? I reckon it's from the same era, and again a very similar vocal group sound.
  • Thanks for the clarification Graham :^)

Is there likely any audio still extant of those putative "R2" Studio G cuts ?

(..no matter how long I've been in the jingle game, I STILL discover I really know so little !!!)
  • ...and I know even less than that Iain :-(
  • SoundCloud is the place to be nowadays........

Here's one of my old montages;-

https://soundcloud.com/ukjingles/studio-g-1973-montage
  • ratnob shared a stereo demo of the BBC Radio 2 Studio G cuts back in 2009 in one of his Bob Dinan podcasts:

http://jinglemad.com/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/6812/radio-2-jingles-that-never-aired/p1

The link is no longer live though. Maybe he can share them again on this thread...

If not, I'll reupload the demo to SoundCloud.
  • Pete - your old s/c needs flash - then doesn't work (on my ISP at least) on the current flash version

I've found Geoff's audio deep on my HDD, but I suspect others will have it in better quality; at least its in stereo...

I also have a dub of the R1 Roadshow "road bundle", which I partly used above and indeed has that "holiday
    time" cut, but the quality is a bit poor.
  • Pete - your old s/c needs flash - then doesn't work (on my ISP at least) on the current flash version

You have gone right over my head Iain........
    Are we talking Flash "Saviour of the Universe" ?? LOL
    SoundCloud works ok for me on all my different contacts/favourites..........
  • Apart from two packages for BFBS and a few Roadshow cuts for Radio 1, I'm not a ware of anything else that Studio G did that aired ?
  • Apart from two packages for BFBS and a few Roadshow cuts for Radio 1, I'm not a ware of anything else that Studio G did that aired ?

The BBC Northampton launch Package almost 10 years later.......

• Thanks Pete - I learn something every day !
  • "The BBC Northampton launch Package almost 10 years later....... "

Wot?!?
    Not another one that many will not have heard before?

Any audio please Gents?
  • Davey_w said:

Does anyone have a nice clear cut of the "Radio 1.... we're in your town" Roadshow jingle?

Hello Davey_w. I have all of the Studio G Radio 1 roadshow cuts in pretty good quality from an old jingle collecting friend of mine in South Wales. The were on cassette but I've now dubbed them into MP3 format cleaned them up and I reckon that they're not too shabby! They are in mono however.

There is a pristine set of these floating around in stereo and they were used on a montage on SoundCloud a while back but alas, the montage has vanished I think (Duncan).

In the meanwhile, here's my copy of the cut you wanted.

Tas

https://soundcloud.com/tas-shoukris/radio-1-were-in-your-town-3
  • "the montage has vanished I think (Duncan)"

I will be uploading a new montage of stuff... soon. Well, when it's finished.
  • I will be uploading a new montage of stuff... soon. Well, when it's finished.

A-ha! Excellent :)
  • Truly excellent work there great mate.

Interesting that the Studio G cuts do exist in stereo. All the airchecks that I have of those early Roadshow jingles are in mono - maybe they felt the live sound would be better in mono, with two speaker stacks hundreds of feet apart ?

Actually it's probably more simple, the feed was in mono..... half the cost !
  • A Peter Powell roadshow trailer from 1984 I uploaded a few years ago:
    https://soundcloud.com/gameswizard1969/radio-1-roadshow-trailer-1984
  • "were on cassette but I've now dubbed them into MP3 format cleaned them up"

...er...umm... my Engineering Hat On....
    From my now long experience of digitizing my old cassettes etc etc, why would one want to "MP3" cassette audio
    BEFORE "cleaning it up"???

Surely one would load-in to a WAV-mode editor directly via the cable, clean up in that, then to MP3 if
    compressed-format was still "necessary"? (...and keep the "master" digital data in WAV on disk).

Otherwise its crying out for analogue-to-MP3 artfact'ing (e.g. swish) and all the other pitfalls of throwing away
    90% of the "audio data" and depending on someone else's "aural head" algorithms to decide "what to keep"?
    Especially from low-speed cassette and the bug-bears of such audio.
    And the "original" can never be retrospectivly "recovered" back from MP3.

{Sorry, still a personal "bee-in-bonnet" after all these years! Apologies for preaching to the converted}

• Ah! Sorry Iain. I should have explained myself better! They were cleaned up by me before MP3ing them!

Thanks Duncan. That's the one!

Cheers for your upload too gameswizard
  • "should have explained myself better!"

Phew! what a relief! :^)
    Ironically I have a WAV copy in-the-clear but mono and poor EQ,
    and some MP3s that sound better but have a huge amount of tapehiss/noise floor.

The mini-package was something that was "just right" for the mood of the R1 summer Roadshows
    of the era, and (I would guess, deliberately) 90-degrees away from the "mainstream" PAMS stuff
    in use at the time (damn good resings etc as those indeed were).

Still, I can't see collectors in another 40+ years' time digging deep like this to find clean stereo copies
    of some of today's "product"... will probably all be on holograms anyway!