Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook

Sign In Apply for Membership

In this Discussion

"Independent Local Radio"
  • rakrak March 2016
    Does anyone know who's behind these 'radio stations' ?

https://www.facebook.com/invictaradio
    http://www.invictaradio.net/
    https://www.facebook.com/radiotees
    http://www.radiotees.net/

Presumably there are others...
  • Yes this will be ex Mercia Sound jock Andy Lloyd......
  • IainJohnstonIainJohnston March 2016
    A month to the day too early for April Fool?

Great idea, and a very competent "pitch" - BUT as an ex-(very small) shareholder in various real ILR companies/stations in the past, I truly doubt if this will work in financial terms (unless they have the same "cross-EU tax and finance structures" as the "other radio companies" who never "make a profit in the UK" but "earn" huge tax-free interest to themselves by loaning "themselves" crazy money backwards & forwards across national boundaries...)

And has often been discussed here & in other places on many occasions, the station names being touted are still registered to whatever corporate entities that own the companies that owned the companies...that...that owned the original stand-alone stations.

Plus - jingle Copyrights that may require "clearance" even for online use may still be extant.

Always worth remembering that in the world of tax, many an "investment structure" is "designed to fail" so that the "losses" can be used by the investors to "offset" tax required elsewhere. Certain UK "ILR" companies in the past have been blatantly exploited purely just as "vehicles" for just that purpose. (I know that from financially painful personal direct experience of what was done to internally-manipulate a once-thriving UK radio group).

Not that in any way whatsoever I would suggest that this is what is happening in this particular instance.

I wish them well though :^)
  • jonnojonno March 2016
    not sure why I made this montage.. https://soundcloud.com/jonno-22/resing-of-alfasounds-radio-trent-news-jingle/comment-273099049 It is extremely monotonous... a prize goes out to anyone who sticks it out until the end :)
  • Use of all jingle packages that will be heard across the revived stations have been negotiated with Steve England and David Arnold.
  • It's as if the last 35 years never happened.
    "Use of all jingle packages that will be heard across the revived stations have been negotiated with Steve England and David Arnold"

Well, its good to see that they've "done their homework".
    But I doubt they'll be permitted to use the defunct-but-owned-elsewhere station names commercially.
    And if only online then they'll never pay their way. Its simply not technically practical nor economically sound.

HOWEVER - have they perhaps been researching the "mini-DAB" trials currently running (e.g. the Glasgow SFN and other mini-muxes) Graham?

THEN the concept at least DOES have a potential, and at drastically lower carriage-cost-per-possible-listener than online or on full-blown DAB multiplexes.

Will be interesting to see how this unfolds!

PS - Jonno, I claim my prize - but only if you can tell me if that was "Derwent Sound" or was it "Severn Sound"?!?
    OK - they appear to have "bagged" the use of certain "old" station names. I commend them for that - it would not have been easy in some instances.

To be scrupiously fair, interested parties should have a good read through the following links...

http://search.aol.co.uk/aol/search?enabled_terms=&s_it=client97-sb&q=independent+local+radio+PLC+

(£235 kick-started so far, another £202,765 to go...)

• jonnojonno March 2016

PS - Jonno, I claim my prize - but only if you can tell me if that was "Derwent Sound" or was it "Severn Sound"?!?

It is Derwent Sound - although I don't recall a heritage station of that name.

PS - you can collect your prize next time you're doon sooth :)
    At last! that and £25 on the Premium Bonds in the same MONTH!

"Derwent Sound" - aye...anyone doing a little bit of "research" into plugging-in much of the "public domain info" on the topic under discussion will find a strange intertwined "structure" of .... utter fluff. And "expired"/dormant entities. And "company names" that seem like the originals, but with one word different. And so on. And even discussions of the nature of this proposed project on Digit&l Sp* as far back as September of last year, including comments on the use of trademarked intellectual property (e.g. certain yellow/blue cartoony character things in videos...).

Its all "out there" in the public domain, so nothing I've commented here is improper. And many others have said it long before me.

But I just hope Steve E got his cheque for those "news jingles" cashed in promptly.
    Ditto Pete Baker on the "pitch" videos (THE Pete Baker, once of Piccadilly???)
  • BigdaveBigdave March 2016

(£235 kick-started so far, another £202,765 to go...)

Is the £235 for Pennine ? :D
    I'd already thought of that Dave when I posted - and thought it was too corny :^)

Still, the contributions might still reach... 261... or 301 ... ("great rewards for backers" apparently...)
  • jonnojonno March 2016
    you forgot 257 :)
    "257"...well, they do "claim" to have the right to use the Radio Victory name!
    I'm sure if they really do manage to start on your patch...

Think its about time now to "rest" this particular topic Gents?
    I'm sure that if anything "meaningful" does happen to the defunct Trent Sou... sorry "ILR"s plans then it'll all be on Radio Today, Digit&l Sp*, or indeed the Companies House Bulletin.
  • jonnojonno April 2016
    Looks like the original crowd funding project was scrapped, and a new scaled back (Radio Victory only) campaign set up https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/unique-local-radio-station-for-portsmouth#/
    but after two months, and only £571 pledged, I think this project will not see the light of day.
  • Can't say I'm surprised. 25 grand to fulfill a wet dream.
  • IainJohnstonIainJohnston April 2016
    When I trawled all the links for this "project" back in March, it only seemed "concrete" for the Portsmouth thing. And that alone still didn't stack up financially or technically to me. The rest was purely "speculative" cut & paste "fluff".

Lets be fair though - thinking back to the days of (many of) our youth, we've all really been "wannabe disk jockeys" at one time or another!
    Quite a few people on this Forum genuinely HAVE "made it", whether as volunteers or professionally on on-air stations of all kinds or levels in all sorts of places, or internet radio, or even "bedroom FM's".

Personally, I never made it and was never going to! - but I wouldn't have dreamed of asking other people to "fund" it - I was quite happy to get my personal Walter Mitty style "radio kicks" by being a (very) small shareholder in a number of "proper" radio companies over the years so I'd be able to say "I own a bit of a radio station" - just like some people "own a bit of a racehorse...".

As I originally said, I hope Steve E & Pete B got their payment up-front!

Jonno - I take it you won't have bought the £100 or whatever (Portsmouth) TeeShirt goodies package then?!?! (Very rare Collectors item for Antiques Roadshow in 2056)...
  • jonnojonno April 2016
    Iain, I certainly have no desire to contribute financially I have no interest in :)

Unlike https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1558089494/thunderbirds-1965-new-episodes-from-1960s-recordin (going way off topic- sorry) which I was more than happy to back to the tune of £35, for which in return, I will receive a BluRay disc of the new episodes in the next few days.
  • Only that Thunderbirds (the original series) can be enjoyed over multiple generations. Something radio of a bygone age may never achieve.
  • IainJohnstonIainJohnston April 2016
    Nice one Jonno!
    I wish I'd known about that one - I would have chipped-in too, and added to all the original-series DVDs and soundtrack music CDs I have here.
    Personally I find the "new" series a bit "jazzy" and "shouty", but I like the faithfullness of the "hardware bits" - and even the pool deckchairs getting blown sideways by the rocket exhaust!

Coincidently, I received a "Want to renew your lapsed subscription?" nudge from F&nderson this week...

Apologies to those wondering what we're on about!
    And now back to ... jingles or something...
    :^)
  • PKPK April 2016
    I know what you're talking about lol! ;-) I briefly met Gerry Anderson back in 1991!
  • "I briefly met Gerry Anderson back in 1991!"

Utter genius!

His "2065" future technology seemed daft when we were in the 19-60s - yet now EVERYONE talks into a small screen box in their hand, whether a watch, mobile, or whatever the equivalent of a powder compact or tea-pot is these days! And the latest commercial space craft under trials in the USA has - 3 legs and lands vertically.
    All he got wrong really was the reel-to-reel tape decks instead of PCs and flash-drive WAV/MP3 ... not bad!

Several years ago, when the Ford Ka first came out, we saw a "Lady Penelope Pink" one here on the main road close to the Forth Bridges - and the plate WAS ... FAB1 - don't know if it was a photo-shoot or something - never heard more of it - maybe someone was able to afford the Reg for their brand new motor? :^)
  • I always smiled when I saw DIN plugs being used as gooseneck microphones !
  • PKPK May 2016
    When I met Gerry, Radio Caroline had had brief attempts (pre 1999 and Maidstone TV Studios) of broadcasting on Astra via Satellite. We talked about the Richochet episode and how the best remembered of the 60s pirates and the influence for that episode had made Gerry's idea a reality, even though by then Caroline was doing it all legit.

The main thing Gerry did get wrong obviously was DJs living on and broadcasting from the satellite itself lol! Although Caroline did broadcast from the Ross Revenge over Astra! As it did earlier this year from the Ross on DAB in Norwich becoming the first DAB offshore radio station!

The picture quality of Videophones in Stingray and Thunderbirds from phoneboxes is still far superior to Skype over 50 years later!

BTW having seen FAB 1 close up twice in 91 & 94, the microphone was a TV Coax plug lol!
  • jonnojonno May 2016
    PK said:

BTW having seen FAB 1 close up twice in 91 & 94, the microphone was a TV Coax plug lol!

although as Graham pointed out, they did use Din plugs as microphones elsewhere too.

and don't forget the lemon squeezer on the wall in Thunderbird 1's hangar
  • Haha - excellent, thanks John.

I sadly missed all the buzz about the new 'All Strings Attached' episodes, so I'm looking forward to getting lost in memory lane once someone agrees a fee to air them.
  • jonno said:

Looks like the original crowd funding project was scrapped, and a new scaled back (Radio Victory only) campaign set up https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/unique-local-radio-station-for-portsmouth#/
    but after two months, and only £571 pledged, I think this project will not see the light of day.

I've been monitoring people/groups using the crowdfunding methods to fund radio projects and in my opinion the jury is still out. A community station is also raising money by that method as well and is considerably short of the full amount so far, so I await to see if they hit the target. Maybe the train of thought of listeners funding radio projects is still a way off yet?

I have thought about crowdfunding to get Skylab back on, but even though the amount to get the stream back up and running would be considerably less than Invicta/Tees/Beacon or even the community station...I'm still unsure whether I could raise it.

Much to ponder on...
  • jonnojonno October 2016

Use of all jingle packages that will be heard across the revived stations have been negotiated with Steve England and David Arnold.

Now looks like who ever's behind this is now offering full packages for some of their proposed stations for sale as digital downloads on Ebay. Hmm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/uk_radio_jingles/m.html?item=252561122011&ul_noapp=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562
  • GrahamCollinsGrahamCollins October 2016
    Mmmm - does anyone have Simon Prentice's number ?
  • rakrak October 2016
    Some were David Arnold packages, weren't they? Anyone got his number as well?
  • IainJohnstonIainJohnston October 2016
    Just looked at the page - I don't see the new so-called "ILR" "stations" packages there, just some 1980s Alfa and Arnold packages supposedly in full - and some of which I'd actually would like to have had, but there's no idea of audio quality on his "digital downloads" links.

I note he's only been a seller since 26th September. Hmmmmm......
  • IanFIanF October 2016
    I think Simon and David, with other producers, do look on this site. How could they not with all this passion about their jingles a click away :)
  • cambrensiscambrensis October 2016

Just looked at the page - I don't see the new so-called "ILR" "stations" packages there, just some 1980s Alfa and Arnold packages supposedly in full - and some of which I'd actually would like to have had, but there's no idea of audio quality on his "digital downloads" links.

I note he's only been a seller since 26th September. Hmmmmm......

I'm on to the purchase of my 18th COMPLETE jingle package this week from this ebay site! The quality is excellent. It's great to hear all the cuts from many classic Alfasound and David Arnold packages. There is even a Sue Manning package on offer.
    "The quality is excellent!"

WAV or mp3?
  • gameswizardgameswizard October 2016

WAV or mp3?

The description of each listing states "mastered as a 320 kbps mp3 file at 44.1 kHz stereo".

Apologies GW - I hadn't read far enough into the "seller's" pages...

e.g. ....

"This listing is for a digital download of the full radio station jingle package produced in 1986 for Guildford's County Sound. The package was the station's second to be produced by Britain's leading jingle production company, Alfasound. The broadcast quality package contains all cuts and has an overall running time of 60' 01", mastered as a 320 kbps mp3 file at 44.1 kHz stereo. Total file size is 137MB.

After purchase, we will send a link to allow you to download the file you have ordered. We own the UK trademarks to several 'heritage' UK radio station names (including County Sound) and we are proposing to re-launch County Sound and other stations as part of a city-specific network of localised radio stations in 2017. We have secured the rights to use this jingle package and have decided to release a limited number of copies to jingle collectors to help raise funds for our crowdfunding bid to allow us to realise the project.

We have secured the rights to use this jingle package on our planned station; we are offering them for sale on the specific condition that they will not be re-sold, broadcast, copied or otherwise distributed, irrespective of whether this is to other jingle collectors - if they want a copy they are welcome to order one!

We will be listing audio CD versions of this jingle package soon, because we are new to Ebay we have decided to try digital downloads as we need to increase our feedback rating and this method of delivery will allow us to do so."

"Mastered" and "320 kbps mp3" are an oxymoron to me.
    The "sampling rate" makes it "sound technically authentic" but its like someone doing a "cut & paste" job without necessarily knowing what it all means - and I've seen plenty of that in industry over the years.

This all sounds very "murky" to me.
    Does this gentleman live in Doncaster? [ ;^) ]

I make no further comment about this whole "project".
  • GrahamCollinsGrahamCollins October 2016
    I refer the honorable member to the second post in this thread.......
  • I would be wary of some of these. This one for example -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Southern-Sound-1987-UK-Local-Radio-Full-Jingle-Package-/252560414584?hash=item3acdc61778:g:InsAAOSw-CpX-AOc

The duration is 10' 46 and there are "53 cuts". For that length I suspect its either (A) been montaged (B) its just the main cuts with selected mixouts (C) the gaps have been taken out and/or shortened.
  • rakrak October 2016
    A lot of us on here have built up a collection of packages over the years, much of it these days in top quality and hard to get hold of.

Would we stick it on Ebay? No. Would that p*ss off the people who'd given it to us? Yes.
  • mclstudiosmclstudios October 2016
    This quote from the Invicta Sound one tells a bit more..

"The mastering project was undertaken specifically for us by David Arnold and these are a valuable asset of our company; we are offering them for sale on the specific condition that they will not be re-sold, broadcast, copied or otherwise distributed, irrespective of whether this is to other jingle collectors - if they want a copy they are welcome to order one!"

So if that's the case, then it may well be all above board and legal.
  • enerjeeenerjee February 26

Yes this will be ex Mercia Sound jock Andy Lloyd......

I doubt very much if it's the same Andy Lloyd from Mercia Sound. The one behind this was, according to his profile, born in 1964 the Mercia Andy Lloyd would have been about 5 years older than that. Here's what I found:

http://www.cbetta.com/director/andrew-paul-lloyd-4

"Andrew Paul Lloyd (6/12/1964) from an address in Nottingham.

Andrew has a load of "radio" type companies behind him, none seem to have actually traded:

KCBC Limited
    Mercia Sound Radio Limited
    Beacon Radio Limited
    Derwent Sound Limited
    independent Radio PLC (another one)
    Trent FM Limited
    Centre Radio Network Limited
    NRG Radio Limited

One that did trade:

Trent Sound Limited, 301 Coventry Road, Bulwell, NG6 8LU
    Dissolved 14/7/15 - Picked up a £960 CCJ in October 2014. Accounts show that it spent a lot of money of Jet Tec Printer Ink, and had some S2Blue ID's done."

All public record. The London address (Heritage Radio) on his website is around the corner from where I live, so I'll check it out.

• enerjeeenerjee February 27
    More on Andy Lloyd from Mercia Sound. The picture is in the above website is blurred and obscures his face of the said Andy Lloyd, but the Mercia Andy Lloyd was 23-years-old in the photo on the link below in 1980 when Mercia began (having trained as a lawyer previously) and had worked at UBN just before:

http://www.kps.org.uk/mercia/people/andy_lloyd.htm

Incidentally, there's some great jingles on that Mercia Sound nostalgia website too !

• jonnojonno March 1
    Taken from Independent Local Radio's Facebook pages (on 1st March 2017) for their various proposed radio services (eg https://www.facebook.com/radiovictory)

"Since announcing our outline plans, we have faced legal challenges from all the major radio networks - we are legally prevented from revealing the nature and outcome of these matters, save to say that we are still here. We are currently engaged in what we hope will be our final battle, currently before a Tribunal at the Intellectual Property Office. This action - which we expect to win - is preventlng us from moving forward but is expected to be resolved within the next few months. We had hoped that it would have been resolved much sooner, but the various legal challenges and High Court action has delayed this; we will post again when our future is clearer. In the meantime, for those interested, keep the faith!"
  • As has been discussed from day 1 on the gentleman's "plans", here and on other forums, "everyone knows" that any
    attempt to use heritage station/company names that are still extant and owned by the people who bought the stations
    that bought the companies that bought the companies........and STILL have them registered even if "dormant" in
    trading terms, was going to be something that was going to be a legal (Intellectual Property) problem later.
    (Even "The Voice of Ipswich" I offer as a test case M'Lud...)

Sorry to say it (again), but it was nice to get the "new" jingles, but the actual "radio stations project" as envisaged
    as a non-broadcast "radio service" is a total dead duck (and how can it be "localised radio" if its all going to
    come to the "other areas" from Nottingham (didn't his/his family's previous "station" there fold, as indicated above?)

He'd have been better to try for a community licence on small scale DAB trials somewhere as a pilot; but seeing
    how many CR stations are increasingly collapsing by the day, I think even that now would be beyond redemption.

I'll wager 5p that the "office address" mentioned above will be a mailbox above a kebab shop...
    ;^)