Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook

Sign In Apply for Membership

In this Discussion

JAM jingles on BBC ONE!
  • DuncanNewmarchDuncanNewmarch October 2014
    Calm down. It's a special radio edition of POINTLESS CELEBRITIES (including Ken Bruce, Liz Kershaw and Kid Jenson) and Richard's had some jingles recorded. Steve England/S2Blue singers over Turbo Z 1, 4, 6 (edited), 18 and 24 (which is especially fun!) and other random bits and peices. It's on BBC ONE tonight, Sat 18th at 5.40 and available all week on BBC Iplayer.
  • ratnobratnob October 2014

Thanks for the tip-off: I'll watch a show that I never usually watch, such is the dedication to the jingle cause.
  • MarkSMarkS October 2014
    Thanks Duncan - look forward that. Will you be doing continuity into the program?
  • DuncanNewmarchDuncanNewmarch October 2014
    Not this time Mark, I've been introducing food shows all morning but got to preview it at 6am. Doctor Who's worth watching... but don't expect any jingles!
  • petewilsonpetewilson October 2014

Doctor Who's worth watching... but don't expect any jingles!

Doctor Who is ALWAYS worth watching!!

=D>
  • MarkSMarkS October 2014
    Thanks Duncan – I bet the Doctor’s Sonic Screwdriver could open a few jingle vaults!! ;-)
  • IainJohnstonIainJohnston October 2014
    Will JMW be watching on iPlayer?
    He's maybe going to hear his stuff like its never quite been "presented" before :)

(Wonder if JAM would get "repeat play" royalties for every "play" of each cut on iPlayer - or would this kind of "listen again" or "catchup viewing" technology be a nightmare for the fees chaps to negotiate?
    Or is my question ....... er .... Pointless? :)) )
  • michimichi October 2014
    There's a clip already there that is playing cuts 4 and 18.
  • PrometheusPrometheus October 2014
    Thanks for the heads up:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p028d3js

Looks like it'll be fun.
    They just played an edited TZ-26.
    and some PAMS cuts.
  • LindenWadeLindenWade October 2014
    Just caught one! "There's your red line!" :-)) They fit rather well.
  • freq-kyfreq-ky October 2014
    Alexander Armstrong
  • freq-kyfreq-ky October 2014
    Nice PAMS jingle
    Coverted Pointless Trop-eeeeeeeeeeee !!!!
    Even a bit of 34, 27, and even a 33 with a bit of front-end backing track "visible" I do believe? :)
    Must have been one of the most "unusual" (and funniest) commissions for Steve/S2Blue so far ?

Much enjoyed. It reminded the British public of the fun of real jingles.
  • RobinBlamiresRobinBlamires October 2014
    A natural progression from the acapellas and shouts from last year's Radio themed Pointless.
  • BigdaveBigdave October 2014
    And what's more, if he'd known, Duncan could have used this.... :)

http://youtu.be/Bz18cS824w0
    " last year's Radio themed Pointless"

That would therefore be "why" they kept referring to the "previous" radio people edition with the same people (which is how the programme "works" anyway for any kind of contestants - such things are recorded in intense batches e.g. Eggheads in Glasgow).

But if "last year", that must mean some of these "celebrity editions" must have been "in the can" for yonks - and a while since S2Blue produced the resings?

Wonder if Steve or Simon might pop on to JM with some audio, if they were now "clear" to do so? B-)
  • IanFIanF October 2014
    Well done to the S2Blue singers on some nice harmonies there. I will say though they do need a proper bass singer to add depth to the great JAM and PAMS jingles. I can live with "stacking" the vocals but some real depth where needed would be better....as well as an update on the S2Blue and Steve England website regarding the resings :)
  • GrahamCollinsGrahamCollins October 2014
    The current Mrs C was not amused. Her favourite programme hi-jacked by my little hobby to my amusement and her disgust.

It was a priceless moment.

No credit to S2Blue in the closing titles.....
    "No credit to S2Blue in the closing titles....."

Noticed that too - But wasn't that because he (Richard...) "made them himself last night" ? :O
  • petewilsonpetewilson October 2014
    So who's going to be the first to download and edit these and put them up on SoundCloud.....
    I can't stand the programme (mainly because it goes right over my head!) Give me Blankety Blank anyday! :-))

How many other TV Show's can you name that had "personalised" Jingles made?
    Here's a few to get started......
    Late Night with Letterman (US)
    TV Offel (Channel 4)
    The James Whale Show (ITV)

• IanFIanF October 2014

How many other TV Show's can you name that had "personalised" Jingles made?
    Here's a few to get started......
    Late Night with Letterman (US)
    TV Offel (Channel 4)
    The James Whale Show (ITV)

One comes to mind is Victor Louis Smith's CH 4 about Simon Dee - Pams with S2Blue resings

http://s2blue.com/Radio-Jingles-Imaging-Simon-Dee-Show-p214.aspx

• RobinBlamiresRobinBlamires October 2014
    Borrowing a fair number of cues from Letterman, Wossy implemented a few Alfasound cuts on Channel 4's "Last Resort" in 1988...
  • IanFIanF October 2014
    A great find there Robin. I've just posted that video on the Alfasound Facebook page
    Thanks Dirty Feed for compiling the Pointless audio, and for the accompanying commentary:

'The resings for Pointless were in fact UK vocals done by S2Blue, rather than Dallas vocals. I find the Dallas vocals superior, but nitpicking when the results are so much fun feels a bit churlish.'

Certainly, these jingles made the show entertaining, and Alexander Armstrong appeared to be genuinely smitten by them.

More here:

http://www.dirtyfeed.org
    The question now, is Richard a "jingle freak" as they'd say in the States, or was it just a "great original creative new idea" by "one of the production team" (who may have subliminary "remembered" the idea from any of the past TV programmes as listed above...)

All good fun though :)
  • gameswizardgameswizard October 2014
    ratnob said:

I find the Dallas vocals superior

Ditto.

One has to ask - if you're using cut price, inferior vocals (probably to keep the cost down), why not use tracks from S2Blue as well?
    Myself, I like hearing the S2 Blue vocals on JAM cuts, especially those in the "cheese" genre.
    "why not use tracks from S2Blue as well?"

Well, unless we ever find out WHO the individual actually was behind the idea on the programme at the TV company (indie producer?), and whether they are a jingle fan with actual knowledge of JAM and PAMS stuff and "knew" what they wanted either roughly or quite specifically by cuts, or "just asked a mate who knew about these thingyies", or whether they just gave S2B a budget and a list of "lyrics" and "left it to Simon & Co to do the honours" then....?

I'm sure though that a lot of viewers in the programme's "target audience range" (especially e.g. Beacon Radio area, West Central Scotland, and quite a few more) would have had their ears prick up when they heard most of the items :)

If it had been Alfa tracks...well, if pre-JAM UK representation era i.e. Alan F - maybe "too old" for the audience; if 1990s Alfa custom then maybe not so recognisable as fewer stations using them than the JAM-based stuff? But the "most-familiar" (and most "still stuck in their heads" being late 1980s/early 1990s JAM - which, after all, is EXACTLY what they were designed for in the first place!) :)
  • It was the 1000th edition of POINTLESS on BBC ONE today and they used their version of Turbo Z #26 again- a nice surprise
  • jonnojonno January 16
    :)
  • gameswizardgameswizard January 17
    Unfortunately, it was one of those "hybrid" cuts.
    They don't get any better with age.
  • IainJohnstonIainJohnston January 17
    I'm sure the airplay royalty cheque (check for those in the USA...) to JAM will be "in the post" as we speak...